1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 04:281 edit
    Originally posted by @vivify
    What do you think makes the ACA work? In fact, do you know how ANY insurance works?

Why do you think insurance companies can afford to pay thousands in medical costs to someone who only pays a few hundred per month for medical? Magic?
    No, it's because OTHER PEOPLE are paying for it, much like how a bank uses your money to give people loans.

The AC ...[text shortened]... t.

Not to worry though, the rich will save them because they love the poor more than profits.
    Insurance works when the likelihood of you using it is small and someone offers you coverage for things you want at a price that you agree to pay.

Forcing people to buy coverage they don't want isn't called working. It is called forced servitude.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 04:454 edits
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Insurance works when the likelihood of you using it is small and someone offers you coverage for things you want at a price that you agree to pay.
    What you just described is how profits are made from providing insurance. The point of the ACA is NOT profit, but to provide affordable medical coverage.

Forcing people to buy coverage they don't want isn't called working. It is called forced servitude.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/15/news/economy/gop-tax-plan-details/index.html

You realize that the tax break the rich are getting is being paid for at the expense of the poor, right? That deductions from the IRS will double and personal exemptions will be eliminated, right?

So why is it okay to force the poor to give rich people tax breaks, but not require them to help pay for the health insurance of others?
  3. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 11:53
    What you just described is how profits are made from providing insurance. The point of the ACA is NOT profit, but to provide affordable medical coverage.

[b]Forcing people to buy coverage they don't want isn't called working. It is called forced servitude.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/15/news/economy/gop-tax-plan-details/index.html

You realize ...[text shortened]... ve rich people tax breaks, but not require them to help pay for the health insurance of others?[/b]
    "but not require them to help pay for the health insurance of others"
    So just steal someones money?
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 15:51
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    "but not require them to help pay for the health insurance of others"
    So just steal someones money?
    That's like saying paying taxes is stealing money. The mandate is used to pay for heath insurance, just like Medicaid is paid for with taxes.
  5. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 16:13
    That's like saying paying taxes is stealing money. The mandate is used to pay for heath insurance, just like Medicaid is paid for with taxes.
    are you fined if you don't pay Medicaid taxes?
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 16:311 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Germany
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 16:35
    Yes.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 16:58

I really wish I could pay more for inferior quality health care coverage so I could have the extremely appealing option of going without health care coverage.
  9. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 17:39
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Yes.
    OK, give me an example... who has been fined?
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 17:42
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    I really wish I could pay more for inferior quality health care coverage so I could have the extremely appealing option of going without health care coverage.
    How about paying for coverage that you will never use and coverage you don't wish to buy?
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 17:57
    How about paying for coverage that you will never use and coverage you don't wish to buy?
    Your taxes already pay for Medicare, whether you use it or not.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 18:20
    OK, give me an example... who has been fined?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_Revenue_Service
  13. Germany
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 18:21
    I would rather not need my health care coverage than use it.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 18:25
    No, obviously, because Medicaid is automatically deducted.
  15. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 18:32
    No, obviously, because Medicaid is automatically deducted.
    well it was you that compared Medicaid to the individual mandate. Just showing you the difference.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree