1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 21:34
    Originally posted by @vivify
    First of all, let's not forget that until one post ago, you didn't
    know the mandate was a tax. Stop pretending you're even the least bit informed enough to have a valid opinion.

Second: "punishment tax"? People are being punished with healthcare? So since we're forced to pay for medicare, is that also a "punishment tax"?
    I did know it was a tax.

Let's not forget that you obviously do not know what you are talking about.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 21:36
    Originally posted by @mchill
    I think Obamacare will survive for quite awhile. People are still signing up for Obamacare as we speak, and (please listen Trump Supporters) People favor Obamacare 52% - 27% over the Republican plan that failed by 1 vote in the Senate. Only 11 percent strongly favored the GOP plan.

I don't know what's going on with the 1%, but it seems the general public ...[text shortened]... tps://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/7/3/15913536/obamacare-popular-republican-health-bill
    So you think that Obama was wrong when he claimed the mandate was required for Obama Care to work.
  3. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 21:44
    First of all, let's not forget that until one post ago, you didn't
    know the mandate was a tax. Stop pretending you're even the least bit informed enough to have a valid opinion.

Second: "punishment tax"? People are being punished with healthcare? So since we're forced to pay for medicare, is that also a "punishment tax"?
    a penalty is never a tax.

https://aclj.org/obamacare/supreme-court-rewrites-obamacare-allows-huge-tax-increases
  4. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 21:481 edit
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Actually you're worse off if you stop paying the Medicare tax; the IRA can use its whole panoply of remedies to collect that tax, including liens and garnishments, whereas the mandate tax can only be enforced by refund intercept:

For most unpaid taxes, there are a variety of ways that the IRS can recoup their money. But the text of the ACA is very cl ...[text shortened]... ernment-wont-really-be-able-to-enforce-the-penalty-for-not-having-health-insurance-is-this-true/
    no they cant...

"The ACA bars the IRS from bringing a criminal enforcement case against someone who refuses to pay the non-insurance penalty. And it makes it very difficult, if not impossible, for it to enforce a tax lien."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/beltway/2012/07/03/some-tax-few-will-face-obamacare-uninsured-penalty-and-irs-hamstrung-to-collect/#72d14cc9c1d4
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 21:49
    Originally posted by @eladar
    I did know it was a tax.

Let's not forget that you obviously do not know what you are talking about.
    Nice dodge. I'll ask it again:

Since we're forced to pay for medicare, is that also a "punishment tax"?
  6. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 21:502 edits
    Nice dodge. I'll ask it again:

Since we're forced to pay for medicare, is that also a "punishment tax"?
    you are not forced to pay medicare! many people do not pay any medicare tax,
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 22:031 edit
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    no they cant...

"The ACA bars the IRS from bringing a criminal enforcement case against someone who refuses to pay the non-insurance penalty. And it makes it very difficult, if not impossible, for it to enforce a tax lien."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/beltway/2012/07/03/some-tax-few-will-face-obamacare-uninsured-penalty-and-irs-hamstrung-to-collect/#72d14cc9c1d4
    UMM, that's what I just said. You're worse off by not paying your Medicare tax because the IRA can use any and all of its enforcement measures to collect that tax whereas it can only intercept your refund to collect the individual mandate tax.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 22:05
    you are not forced to pay medicare! many people do not pay any medicare tax,
    I don't know what right wing blog you get your info from but you are wrong:

all your wages and business earnings are subject to at least a 2.9 percent Medicare tax.

https://www.thebalance.com/medicare-tax-3193121
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 22:18
    a penalty is never a tax.

https://aclj.org/obamacare/supreme-court-rewrites-obamacare-allows-huge-tax-increases
    Your link clearly says in the second paragraph, the Supreme Court ruled it was a tax.

Thanks for refuting yourself.
  10. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 22:191 edit
    I don't know what right wing blog you get your info from but you are wrong:

all your wages and business earnings are subject to at least a 2.9 percent Medicare tax.

https://www.thebalance.com/medicare-tax-3193121
    yep! now what about those that don't work?
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 22:19
    Originally posted by @eladar
    So you think that Obama was wrong when he claimed the mandate was required for Obama Care to work.
    During the campaign, he opposed the individual mandate. Insurance companies badly wanted it, however, and the Dems caved.

Part of the reason it is misleading to call it "Obamacare" is that most of the details of the law were hashed out by Congressional Democrats rather than the administration. Now Obama did sign on to the final product and did have considerable input in the process, but his original proposals are far from what wound up as the ACA.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 22:20
    yep! now what about those that don't work?
    🙄🙄🙄
  13. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 22:262 edits
    Your link clearly says in the second paragraph, the Supreme Court ruled it was a tax.

Thanks for refuting yourself.
    When ACA was passed they called the mandate a "penalty" because a tax has to be voted on. Congress is the only way a tax can be levied. Congress never authorized that "tax".

The SCOTUS changed the wording to tax AFTER aca had passed. It is unconstitutional on those grounds alone. Read the entire article...don't just cherry pick...makes you look inferior

BTW...paying subsidies in states that didn't expand Medicare is also illegal.
  14. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 22:29
    🙄🙄🙄
    how are they forced to pay medicare tax?
  15. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 22:32
    UMM, that's what I just said. You're worse off by not paying your Medicare tax because the IRA can use any and all of its enforcement measures to collect that tax whereas it can only intercept your refund to collect the individual mandate tax.
    Medicare tax payment is not mandatory for all!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree