1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 19:31
    Originally posted by @eladar
    How about paying for coverage that you will never use and coverage you don't wish to buy?
    How about the fact that under ACA MILLIONS of people have health coverage that didn't have it before AND repeal of ACA means those millions will CERTAINLY lose their coverage again. But hey, fuk em if they can't take a joke, right?
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 19:321 edit
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    well it was you that compared Medicaid to the individual mandate. Just showing you the difference.
    What difference? Both are health insurances that require you to pay for them, whether you use them or not. Just because one form of payment is automatically taken, that doesn't mean you're not paying for it.
  3. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 19:36
    Originally posted by @vivify
    What difference? Both are health insurances that require you to pay for them, whether you use them or not. Just because one form of payment is automatically taken, that doesn't mean you're not paying for it.
    what happens if you quit paying Medicare? what happens if you quit paying ACA?
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 19:53
    Your taxes already pay for Medicare, whether you use it or not.
    Medicaid would be there if you pay the tax or not. Taxes are taxes.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 19:541 edit
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    I would rather not need my health care coverage than use it.
    How about paying for coverage could never use?
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 20:02
    You CAN'T QUITE PAYING Medicare. You don't have a choice.

What part of "automatically deducted" don't you understand?
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 20:05
    Medicaid would be there if you pay the tax or not. Taxes are taxes.
    If you receive a paycheck, you're paying for Medicaid/Medicare, whether you want to or not.

Since you've already been paying for a health insurance against your will for decades, your objection to paying for the ACA makes no sense.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 20:12
    If you receive a paycheck, you're paying for Medicaid/Medicare, whether you want to or not.

Since you've already been paying for a health insurance against your will for decades, your objection to paying for the ACA makes no sense.
    No, I am paying taxes. As soon as we are not running a national debt, then my tax money will be used as it should. Until then, I am just paying useless taxes.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 20:202 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 20:211 edit
    No, I am paying taxes. As soon as we are not running a national debt, then my tax money will be used as it should. Until then, I am just paying useless taxes.
    The individual mandate IS at tax When you pay the individual mandate, you're paying TAXES.

Conservatives argue from ignorance.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 20:411 edit
    The individual mandate IS at tax When you pay the individual mandate, you're paying TAXES.

Conservatives argue from ignorance.
    It is a punishment tax. It is an Islamic style tax. It is immoral and unamerican.

Only unamerican trash can't see the truth in what I am saying.

Thank God the mandate is dead.
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 21:012 edits
    It is a punishment tax. It is an Islamic style tax. It is immoral and unamerican.

Only unamerican trash can't see the truth in what I am saying.

Thank God the mandate is dead.
    First of all, let's not forget that until one post ago, you didn't
    know the mandate was a tax. Stop pretending you're even the least bit informed enough to have a valid opinion.

Second: "punishment tax"? People are being punished with healthcare? So since we're forced to pay for medicare, is that also a "punishment tax"?
  13. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 21:182 edits
    Now that the mandate is thrown on the trash heap of history, how much longer can Obama Care survive?

The next time the Dems are in control will we get true socialized medicine with insurance only for the 1 percent?
    I think Obamacare will survive for quite awhile. People are still signing up for Obamacare as we speak, and (please listen Trump Supporters) People favor Obamacare 52% - 27% over the Republican plan that failed by 1 vote in the Senate. Only 11 percent strongly favored the GOP plan.

I don't know what's going on with the 1%, but it seems the general public doesn't agree with Mr. President when he calls the ACA a "disaster"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapsen/2017/11/23/obamacare-enrollment-still-strong-despite-trumps-tight-sign-up-window/#22efada44cd2

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39157793

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/7/3/15913536/obamacare-popular-republican-health-bill
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 21:26
    Still, I wonder. Americans are a contrary sort; tell one of them they HAVE to do something and their immediate reaction is to not want to do it. Most of the people paying the mandate tax would certainly benefit from health insurance subsidies; in fact:

The report found that about 5 million uninsured people could get coverage for less than the cost of the penalty. Thanks to the subsidies in Obamacare, the lowest-level plans would be free to many of those people, or if not free, available at a very low cost.

If everyone took advantage of those subsidies, the 6.6 million households paying the penalty because they lack coverage would fall significantly.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/nov/17/john-thune/sen-thune-individual-mandate-fine-falls-mainly-peo/

I find it plausible that a fair amount of people are refusing to buy health insurance BECAUSE of the individual mandate. If that is true, the number covered might not fall as much as the CBO and others are estimating. Heck, it theoretically could increase though we won't know for sure until the next ACA enrollment period.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 21:34
    Actually you're worse off if you stop paying the Medicare tax; the IRA can use its whole panoply of remedies to collect that tax, including liens and garnishments, whereas the mandate tax can only be enforced by refund intercept:

For most unpaid taxes, there are a variety of ways that the IRS can recoup their money. But the text of the ACA is very clear in stating that taxpayers who don’t pay their ACA penalty are not subject to levies, liens, or criminal prosecution.

The only way that the IRS can collect the ACA penalty is if you pay it voluntarily, or if you’re owed a refund. In the latter case, the IRS deducts the penalty from your refund. Roughly 70 percent of tax filers receive a refund, and the average refund was nearly $3,000 in 2014 and 2015.

https://www.healthinsurance.org/faqs/ive-heard-that-the-government-wont-really-be-able-to-enforce-the-penalty-for-not-having-health-insurance-is-this-true/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree