1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 01:18
    Now that the mandate is thrown on the trash heap of history, how much longer can Obama Care survive?

The next time the Dems are in control will we get true socialized medicine with insurance only for the 1 percent?
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 01:362 edits
    You're asking the wrong question.

The question is, now that 28 million people are going to lose health insurance at the same time that the rich get massive tax cuts at the expense of the poor, how do we thank Trump for making us great again?
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 01:39
    Originally posted by @vivify
    You're asking the wrong question.

The question is, now that 28 million people are going to lose health insurance at the same time that the rich get massive tax cuts at the expense of the poor, adding over a trillion to the national debt, how do we thank Trump for making us great again?
    They will not lose their health insurance. The ones who decide not to get insurance choose to not have insurance.

If those people drop out of the market will Obama Care die?
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 01:42
    Originally posted by @eladar
    They will not lose their health insurance. The ones who decide not to get insurance choose to not have insurance.

If those people drop out of the market will Obama Care die?
    Silly me; they won't lose health insurance, they simply won't be able to afford it.

Thanks for calling out my fake news.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 01:47
    Silly me; they won't lose health insurance, they simply won't be able to afford it.

Why can't they afford it? All they got rid of was the whip known as the mandate.

Now that people will no longer be punished financially for not having health insurance many will choose to stop coverage they really can't afford right now.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 01:47
    Now that the mandate is thrown on the trash heap of history, how much longer can Obama Care survive?

The next time the Dems are in control will we get true socialized medicine with insurance only for the 1 percent?
    I never thought the individual mandate was desirable or necessary and I suspect that the ACA can survive its demise if the Trump administration stops trying to sabotage it by other means.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 01:481 edit
    Why can't they afford it? All they got rid of was the whip known as the mandate.

Now that people will no longer be punished financially for not having health insurance many will choose to stop coverage they really can't afford right now.
    And what will happen to them if they have medical emergencies that they can't pay for?

I have my doubts that that many will choose to take such a foolish risk.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 01:52
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    And what will happen to them if they have medical emergencies that they can't pay for?
    If they are in an accident they could have their bills paid by other insurance or go to court for compensation.

Most twenty somethings will benefit by saving on their premiums. I know I would have been just fine.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 01:551 edit
    If they are in an accident they could have their bills paid by other insurance or go to court for compensation.

Most twenty somethings will benefit by saving on their premiums. I know I would have been just fine.
    You really do live in a fantasy world.

Anybody who can afford health insurance who goes without it is a goddamn fool.
  10. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 01:56

Why will they not be able to afford it?
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 01:58
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    Why will they not be able to afford it?
    Why do you think there were 50 million people without health insurance before the ACA was passed?
  12. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 01:59

In an accident? go to emergency room...hospitals cannot refuse
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 01:591 edit

Really? If I could have pocketed the money spent on my health insurance, I would have walked away with 30k easily, probably more like 50k.
  14. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:01

"Anybody who can afford health insurance who goes without it is a ******** fool"
    No...forcing others to pay for that persons insurance is the foolish thing.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:03
    The law is kind of a mess; it doesn't actually repeal the individual mandate - it just repeals the penalty for not having insurance. And it doesn't go into effect until 2019 meaning those who think they don't have to have insurance in 2018 are in for a surprise.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree