1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:04
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Really? If I could have pocketed the money spent on my health insurance, I would have walked away with 30k easily, probably more like 50k.
    So why didn't you?

You can spend 30-50K in a couple of days in a hospital.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:051 edit
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    In an accident? go to emergency room...hospitals cannot refuse
    They still bill you.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:07
    "Anybody who can afford health insurance who goes without it is a ******** fool"
    No...forcing others to pay for that persons insurance is the foolish thing.
    Most modern societies have universal health care systems that provide coverage for everyone and cost a fraction of what the US system does.
  4. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:10
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Most modern societies have universal health care systems that provide coverage for everyone and cost a fraction of what the US system does.
    move there.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:11
    Now that the mandate is thrown on the trash heap of history, how much longer can Obama Care survive?

The next time the Dems are in control will we get true socialized medicine with insurance only for the 1 percent?
    A reasoned analysis:

But the repeal of the individual mandate penalty will not by any means bring an end to the ACA. The numbers who lose coverage will likely be much smaller than the CBO estimates. S&P Global estimates that it is more likely that three to five million will lose coverage by 2027. The Medicaid expansions, which have accounted for a majority of the ACA’s coverage of the uninsured, will continue. So will provisions of the ACA that have streamlined eligibility for traditional Medicaid, leading to increased Medicaid coverage in states that have not expanded Medicaid. The exchanges will continue to operate.

Premium tax credits will continue to keep coverage affordable for consumers with incomes below 400 percent of the poverty level. Coverage will continue to be available to all consumers regardless of preexisting conditions. Premiums will not depend on health status, and a risk adjustment system will penalize insurers who attract primarily healthy enrollees. The remaining eight titles of the ACA remain operative, including provisions closing the Medicare donut hole.

Repeal will undoubtedly do harm, however, to insurance markets and those who depend on them. The effect will vary from state to state, but premiums will increase in the individual market across the board, and increase dramatically in some states. Insurers may well abandon some states with smaller markets.

https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/hblog20171220.323429/full/
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:12
    So why didn't you?

You can spend 30-50K in a couple of days in a hospital.
    I didn't have the choice. It was either take the insurance or not with no compensation.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:12
    move there.
    It will, eventually, move here.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:14
    A reasoned analysis:

But the repeal of the individual mandate penalty will not by any means bring an end to the ACA. The numbers who lose coverage will likely be much smaller than the CBO estimates. S&P Global estimates that it is more likely that three to five million will lose coverage by 2027. The Medicaid expansions, which have accounted for a ma ...[text shortened]... tes with smaller markets.

https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/hblog20171220.323429/full/
    I guess Obama was wrong when he said it was requied for Obama Care to work.

It wouldn't be the first time Obama is wrong.
  9. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:141 edit
    It will, eventually, move here.
    Without violating our constitution?
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:14
    I didn't have the choice. It was either take the insurance or not with no compensation.
    I assume that was employer coverage. Maybe you should have gotten a different job with no health insurance and raked in the big bucks.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:16
    Without violating our constitution?
    Of course.

Does Medicare violate the Constitution?
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:18
    I assume that was employer coverage. Maybe you should have gotten a different job with no health insurance and raked in the big bucks.
    It doesn't work that way. You don't get paid more at least not in teaching.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:24
    It doesn't work that way. You don't get paid more at least not in teaching.
    Nobody made you go into teaching. There are plenty of jobs with no health insurance coverage; the vast majority of those who were without health insurance before the ACA had jobs.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 04:16
    Nobody made you go into teaching. There are plenty of jobs with no health insurance coverage; the vast majority of those who were without health insurance before the ACA had jobs.
    No, nobody made me.

Now no one will force people to buy health insurance. This is why Trump was elected, to undo Obama's evil.
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 04:245 edits
    Why can't they afford it? All they got rid of was the whip known as the mandate.
    What do you think makes the ACA work? In fact, do you know how ANY insurance works?

Why do you think insurance companies can afford to pay thousands in medical costs to someone who only pays a few hundred per month for coverage? Magic?
    No, it's because OTHER PEOPLE are paying for it, much like how a bank uses your money to give people loans.

The ACA is no different; it used the individual mandate to run it. Now that trump cut the mandate, premiums will go up to cover the costs that were being covered by the mandate; millions of people will no long be able to afford their insurance, and will lose it.

Not to worry though, the rich will save them because they love the poor more than profits.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree