1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 19:352 edits
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    a few missing weeks of strawberries is a bit of a understatement dont you think?
    [b]Unemployment rates are now 40% because of the water being shut off to farmers. Hundreds of acres of crops are now dead. 1 million acres of fields and orchards also have no aboveground water supply. People have to go to food banks for food. Fruits and vegetable prices have skyrocketed in central California.
    [/b]
    um, you missed the point.

People are not unemployed because the water was shut off. They are out of work because people can make do without year round strawberrys, just like humans have done for thousands of years.

In Canada, our tobacco fields were closed because people stopped smoking. This put thousands of people out of work. Should the government have promoted smoking to keep these people employed??
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 19:41
    Originally posted by uzless

People are not unemployed because the water was shut off. They are out of work because people can make do without year round strawberrys, just like humans have done for thousands of years.

In Canada, our tobacco fields were closed because people stopped smoking. This put thousands of people out of work. Should the government have promoted smoking to keep these people employed??
    "Gong'an county in Hubei province of China will have the distinction of being the first place in the world to impose fines on locals for not smoking cigarettes, even as many countries move to bannng tobacco products from being displayed in shops as well as smoking in public areas."

http://www.domain-b.com/industry/Tobacco/20090505_smoke.html
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 19:49
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, I'm sure Seitse can tell you how many food banks there are in Finland.
    Do I have enough fingers to count?
  4. Germany
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 19:51
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Do I have enough fingers to count?
    I don't know!
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 20:041 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I don't know!
    Well, at least until the year 2000 food banks were administered by the Lutheran church thanks to donations, and their work takes place in 255 parishes.

I must point out, though, that the amount of food required and the picture of them are way, way different than in any other part of the world.

I don't know how they look in Sami areas, way up the North, but in my neighborhood the distribution center is, once a week, a feast of drunks who get clothes and food besides their free apartment and monthly check, both paid by my taxes, lulz

I could say that, here, many of those who stand in line for their support is because they chose to slack. Thank heaven hard work is embedded in Finnish culture.
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 20:17
    Water was shut off to California farms because of endangered Delta Smelt Fish that need this fresh water. Should the water be shut off for the fish or should the water be turned back on for the farmers to water their crops and to employee people?
    Read information below that explains California in its state of emergency because of liberals shutting of ...[text shortened]... ut-off-to-california-farms-because-of-endangered-delta-smelt-fish-that-need-this-fresh-wat..
    A lot more people are dying premature deaths due to lack of healthcare coverage than anything to do with those farmers (who, by the way DON"T provide healthcare to there employees). Sorry if Obama is trying to provide a clean and safe enviornment for ALL life.
    (How dare he do such a thing!!)😠
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 20:30
    Originally posted by bill718
    How dare he forget that the White House is called "White" for something! 😠

[/sarcasm]
  8. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 20:47
    Originally posted by uzless

reccd
  9. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 21:01
    Originally posted by bill718
    A lot more people are dying premature deaths due to lack of healthcare coverage than anything to do with those farmers (who, by the way DON"T provide healthcare to there employees). Sorry if Obama is trying to provide a clean and safe enviornment for ALL life.
    Give me some figures on this old wise one.
    A lot more people are dying premature deaths due to lack of healthcare coverage
    your so full of crap!
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 21:30
    Give me some figures on this old wise one.
    [b]A lot more people are dying premature deaths due to lack of healthcare coverage

your so full of crap![/b]
    So what you are saying is that a sick person without health coverage has the same life expectancy as a sick person of the same age who does have coverage. Interesting.

So why are we all shelling out so much money on premiums? Maybe the whole thing is one big racket and the government needs to ban ALL healthcare coverage?
  11. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 21:38
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    So what you are saying is that a sick person without health coverage has the same life expectancy as a sick person of the same age who does have coverage. Interesting.

So why are we all shelling out so much money on premiums? Maybe the whole thing is one big racket and the government needs to ban ALL healthcare coverage?
    look man, we have already covered this extensively on other threads. its just not the case here, of whats going on. The U.S. has by far the best health care in the world. anybody can get healed in this nation money or no money. All this rhetoric that people are dying premature or dying in the streets is utter nonsense
  12. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 22:04
    Water was shut off to California farms because of endangered Delta Smelt Fish that need this fresh water. Should the water be shut off for the fish or should the water be turned back on for the farmers to water their crops and to employee people?
    Read information below that explains California in its state of emergency because of liberals shutting of ...[text shortened]... ut-off-to-california-farms-because-of-endangered-delta-smelt-fish-that-need-this-fresh-wat..
    I'm sorry but... WHAT does this have to do with President Obama?

NOTHING.

This thread is LOL
  13. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 22:09
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    This thread is lulz
    Fix'd!~
  14. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 22:28
    look man, we have already covered this extensively on other threads. its just not the case here, of whats going on. The U.S. has by far the best health care in the world. anybody can get healed in this nation money or no money. All this rhetoric that people are dying premature or dying in the streets is utter nonsense
    anybody can get healed in this nation even if they have no money?

Well if you're poor enough to qualify for Medicaid, that may be so.
    What about those people who don't qualify for Medicaid but have a pre-existing condition so they can't get private coverage? How do they get healed if they have no money to pay for coverage?

Maybe the simplest thing would be to just expand Medicaid to cover more people. You yourself have implied that this program works extremely well. In addition, we could offer tax credits to help others having a hard time affording their premiums.

We should also put in a rule that guarantees that a person can keep whatever coverage they have even if they lose of change their job. That would allow people to find the job that's best for them without worrying about losing coverage.
  15. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 22:35
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I'm sorry but... WHAT does this have to do with President Obama?

NOTHING.

This thread is LOL
    no,you are lol! it has every thing to do w/ the feds,hence Obama. Word of advice,think before you speak.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree