Obama likes fish over people

Obama likes fish over people

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
14 Aug 09

Originally posted by FMF

This is patriotism passed off as analysis.
A crude outsider's perspective: the best universities produce excellent doctors. Unfortunately, few can afford the astronomical fees. Therefore most attend institutions that are less than excellent. This situation is common to all countries lacking free university education. In South Africa, for example, Groote Schuur Hospital is internationally famous for its excellent medical faculty, attracting students from around the world; others produce doctors of more dubious quality.

U

Moves
14 Aug 09

Originally posted by sh76
I wouldn't say "no connection." Certainly, if the profit margins decrease for pharma companies because government pays less for the medications than private insurance companies would, that would lead to a decrease in pharmaceutical development.

Though, of course, I agree that the two things are different concepts, not completely interrelated.
How do you figure the government pays less? My mother is on Medicaid and she gets her prescriptions filled in the same manner everyone else does.

What DOES increase prices is the law prohibiting Americans from buying prescription drugs from Canada. If Canada can have a viable, profitable pharmaceutical industry that doesn't rape healthcare recipients, why can't we have that in the US?

P

Moves
14 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
why can't we have that in the US?
Because too many congressmen/senators have a "Just sold!" sign on their backs.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
14 Aug 09

Every species that becomes extinct through human actions diminishes the quality of human life.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
14 Aug 09

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Every species that becomes extinct through human actions diminishes the quality of human life.
Rec'd

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
14 Aug 09
3 edits

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
How do you figure the government pays less? My mother is on Medicaid and she gets her prescriptions filled in the same manner everyone else does.

What DOES increase prices is the law prohibiting Americans from buying prescription drugs from Canada. If Canada can have a viable, profitable pharmaceutical industry that doesn't rape healthcare recipients, why can't we have that in the US?
It's common knowledge that, by and large, Medicaid compensates doctors less than most private insurance does. The consumer never sees it. It's about how much the doctor or the pharmacy gets compensated. Ask a few local doctors who take Medicaid. That, of course, is why many doctors won't see Medicaid patients, or, at least, why they don't like seeing Medicaid patients as much as patients with gold star PPOs.

The pharmaceutical industry has to have its intellectual property be protected or there will be no pharmaceutical industry. My mother's worked in the pharmaceutical industry for over 2 decades. Do you have any idea how much time, money and effort it takes to research, produce, develop and market a drug? When you do find out, then come back and tell me how Big Pharma is raping everyone.

Suffice it to say, each pill may only cost half a cent to produce. The first pill cost half a billion dollars to produce.

F

Moves
14 Aug 09

Do you have any idea how much time, money and effort it takes to research, produce, develop and market a drug? When you do find out, then come back and tell me how Big Pharma is raping everyone.
The word 'market' leaps out at me.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
14 Aug 09

Originally posted by FMF
Is that an illegitimate expense? How else do you get the word out that this drug is available and effective?

K

Germany

Moves
14 Aug 09

Is that an illegitimate expense? How else do you get the word out that this drug is available and effective?
Through doctors?

K

Germany

Moves
14 Aug 09

Anyways, the profit margins of pharmaceuticals in the US does not compare reasonably with prices in most other industrialized nations.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
14 Aug 09

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Through doctors?
Yes, and you can market it TO doctors.

K

Germany

Moves
14 Aug 09

Yes, and you can market it TO doctors.
Yes, I find these sort of practises a bit dodgy though, since pharmaceuticals obviously aren't neutral.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
14 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Yes, I find these sort of practises a bit dodgy though, since pharmaceuticals obviously aren't neutral.
Of course they're not neutral. They want to sell their product.

Short of nationalizing every Pharma company, how would you take the profit motive away from the pharmaceutical company?

That's why doctors are supposed to act a responsible middlemen.

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
14 Aug 09

Originally posted by FMF
Perhaps you're reading this with your 3D glasses on.

GRANNY.

Moves
14 Aug 09

There is no room for profit in healthcare.