1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 19:51
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Because too many congressmen/senators have a "Just sold!" sign on their backs.
    Those signs are old looking old and tattered because most of them were sold so long ago that the money's gone.
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 19:591 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Is that an illegitimate expense? How else do you get the word out that this drug is available and effective?
    Over the last ten years or so, the pharm industry has been able to advertise directly on TV -- and I actually like it.

It makes people aware of various conditions that they might otherwise have been attributed to "old age" or something. It also makes them aware if something new just came out that might help them. It encourages them to be more active with their doctors by asking about this or that medication - although it's not good when doctors aren't willing to say no and explain why they don't want to prescribe that particular drug.

Also - the ads are required to mention all the possible side effects of the drug, which makes people aware that drugs aren't magic pills that don't have risks.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 20:04
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    It makes people aware of various conditions that they might otherwise have been attributed to "old age" or something.
    It's given a lot of unattractive people with relationship problems another way to treat symptoms instead of dealing with the reality of their misguided, pathetic lies.
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 20:09
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    It's given a lot of unattractive people with relationship problems another way to treat symptoms instead of dealing with the reality of their misguided, pathetic lies.
    True -- you could say that mother has a much wider array of "little helpers" to choose from than she did back in the 60's.

On the other hand, there are many people who benefit greatly from anti-depressants - people who would otherwise be using cocaine or getting drunk all the time.
  5. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 20:17
    Every species that becomes extinct through human actions diminishes the quality of human life.
    Are you telling me to stop killing mosquitoes and rats ?

GRANNY.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 20:24
    Originally posted by smw6869

GRANNY.
    If you can make those go extinct you have my support.
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 20:341 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    If you can make those go extinct you have my support.
    Add to the list deer-flies, fleas, ticks, chiggers, gypsy-moths, fruit-flies, meal-moths, and those spiders that build huge webs at eye-level across the path in the woods 😀

On the other hand, these things let you know that nature wasn't created just to make humans happy.
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Aug '09 12:56
    Originally posted by smw6869

GRANNY.
    Nope. You will not drive them to extinction through a systematic program of individual or even mass murder. If you eliminate their habitat, that would be another issue.

Mosquitoes are invaluable: trout eat them.
  9. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '09 12:58
    Those signs are old looking old and tattered because most of them were sold so long ago that the money's gone.
    You think so? I think they're on the subscription plan.
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 03:13
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    You think so? I think they're on the subscription plan.
    Perhaps

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree