1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 16:11
    Originally posted by whodey
    WHy does she need 3 years to run for President? He was making fun of her sh76. It is attacks such as this that perhaps she wants to be free. I just can't decide if the far left is really afraid of her despit their efforts to paint her as stupid, but then, as the continued attacks keep flying I tend to think they are. In fact, they do this with ALL their o ...[text shortened]... tc. In fact, not much has really changed since he left office its just on a grander scale.
    If she can't take an "attack" like that, she needs to find a career in Amish Land.
  2. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 16:39
    Originally posted by sh76
    Why does she need 3+ full years to run for President?

Maybe she's quitting to be a stay at home grandma?

Personally, I hope she doesn't run. I mean, she seems like a nice person and she's hot for her age, but we already tried that mediocre intellect for President thing. This time, let's run someone a little brighter.
    explain why you feel she has a mediocre intellect,and who are you referring to when you "we already tried that..."
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 16:53
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    If she can't take an "attack" like that, she needs to find a career in Amish Land.
    I think she could provoke even the Amish to renounce pacifism.
  4. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 16:57
    Originally posted by whodey
    WHy does she need 3 years to run for President? He was making fun of her sh76. It is attacks such as this that perhaps she wants to be free. I just can't decide if the far left is really afraid of her despit their efforts to paint her as stupid, but then, as the continued attacks keep flying I tend to think they are. In fact, they do this with ALL their o ...[text shortened]... tc. In fact, not much has really changed since he left office its just on a grander scale.
    Oh please. As an onlooker from across the pond, that woman could run against Monica Lewinski and still screw it up.

But I agree, the smear campaigns that seem to dominate modern politics are pathetic and useless.

Having said that, the times that McCain was made to look very foolish were almost exclusively due to his own hardcore supporters.

Woman in crowd: So I can't trust Obama... *McCain sagely nods his head*... because he's a Moslem. *Uh oh.*

Hilarity ensues.
  5. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 20:35
    She gives me the impression of someone in small-town politics, maybe Alaska is basically that.

She may not have been ready for primetime attacks but she could conceiavably bounce back during the Primaries.

Women though, seem to rarely be as savagely attacked through their family in full media glare as frequently, often, and universally as was done to Palin and her family.

It was too much and it's a shame, but on the other hand, McCain needed to shore up the base and she accomplished that for him. She ran as VP on a national ticket and maybe that is enough for her... for now.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 21:08
    Originally posted by HumeA
    Oh please. As an onlooker from across the pond, that woman could run against Monica Lewinski and still screw it up.

But I agree, the smear campaigns that seem to dominate modern politics are pathetic and useless.

Having said that, the times that McCain was made to look very foolish were almost exclusively due to his own hardcore supporters.

Woman in c ...[text shortened]... Obama... *McCain sagely nods his head*... because he's a Moslem. *Uh oh.*

Hilarity ensues.
    She got caught a few times not knowing the answers to some questions. Now this could be interpreted as being "stupid" or it could be interpreted as simply being ignorant of the questions. As for Palin, she was suddenly thrown in the mix as where those around her had ample time to prepare for their task at hand. So for me, I have not determined which is the case. Just being elected governor of the state seems to imply some degree of intellect, no?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 21:10
    No arguments there. Perhaps that is where she is headed.
  8. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 00:10
    I think somewhere in one of the articles about her upcoming resignation she indicated that she was planning to get totally out of politics.

I'm not a political expert by any means, but I really don't see Palin as a rising star for the republican party.

If she is incapable of governing one state with a population of just over half a million people for one four-year term without resigning, how could she ever be seriously considered to become the president of the United States?

If she ever had a political future, I think she can thank McCain for helping to end it.
  9. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 00:241 edit
    Originally posted by eljefejesus
    Women though, seem to rarely be as savagely attacked through their family in full media glare as frequently, often, and universally as was done to Palin and her family.
    Can anyone name another candidate running for high office whose family presented such a tabloid goldmine?

From my memory of watching the steady roll of new candidates on the block being paraded as suitable options, if there was one constant, then all succesful candidate families tended to conform to a certain manifestation of American Wholesomeness, a certain American Dream perfection, realised.

Whatever the election campaign equivalent of central casting is, then surely a type of Norman Rockwell filter sits firmly in place that helps deselect any candidates that fails to meet certain basic criteria of being *Presidential*. Being an inexact science though, (knowing what the people will resonate with) those criteria do change and evolve over time, but all else being equal the first family usually tends to conform to a pretty squeeky clean image of American virtue and goodness. For sure cracks will and do appear but however they are stacked up, once the people have you, the prospective first family in their sights, the media spotlight is turned up to stun. At that point the collective subconscious either says "you may pass through" or " you've got to be kidding, right!?"

Now who knows how that happens, but once allowd through, did Bush's daughters get an easy time in the media. Did 'W' blink? If he did it never made the news over here. Same applied to Ronnie when his daughters troubles hit the channels. I dont remeber Ronnie 'going there' and giving the stories any more oxygen.

In terms of affability and 'one of us likeability' the difference between "W" and "SP" is that whereas "W" was a monied elite playing a sophisticated version of charming folksy cute, thats all there is to "SP". She's not playing, thats who she is. At the end of the day no matter how she polled the American public imho shuddered and heaved a collective sigh of relief when her ticket was defeated.

You can argue that she was chosen ( or slipped by the Norman Rockwell filter) to ensure that Obama was elected, but thats the conspiracist meanderings possibly best left for another thread.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 02:051 edit
    Originally posted by MacSwain
    You are being very harsh! After all, he has served only 5 months. He should be able to drop the teleprompter, stop pre-screening journalist's questions and develop the ability to speak from his own beliefs soon enough.....Well, perhaps.

You should take a 'wait and see' stance and see if he is able to improve before issuing a blanket comdemnation of his "mediocre intellect." Tsk, tsk!
    🙂

I like Palin. I thought her speech at the GOP convention was good. But, I watched that interview with Diane Sawyer. Come on; she could not name a single newspaper that she read. I was really hoping for her to be a great candidate. I supported McCain and I was hoping she was the silver bullet. But, at some point, I had to call a spade a spade and realize she probably just isn't smart enough for this job. These are lots of jobs that she can do well; but I don't think President of the United States is one of them. I used to think that a President needs the insight to surround himself with good people and the guts to make the tough yes/no call. GWB taught me that a President also needs to be intelligent and wise enough to see the forest not just the trees, to go beyond the simplicity of dogma and the intelligence to understand the nuances of the issues that come across his desk.

I'm not completely sold on Obama by any means. I think the stimulus package was a bit reckless and I didn't care for his apology for America tour. I also am not impressed by these half baked healthcare and cap and trade proposals that don't really satisfy either side. I don't see him having done a great job at having sold either one to this point; though it's still early.

Still, Obama is a smart guy. He was editor in chief of Harvard Law Review. I saw him go toe to toe with Bill O'Reilly for an hour and thought he came off very well. That was not scripted. I have also been generally impressed by the people with whom he has surrounded himself. I think it's clear that he's more pragmatic than dogmatic, which is something I appreciate.

Yes, the teleprompter fiascos are embarrassing, but though it pains me to say it, I'd be more comfortable with him a President than with Governor Palin.

Sorry; I'm just being honest.
  11. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 02:35
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31726640/ns/politics-more_politics

Probably intends to make it her full time job to run for President.
    If Sarah Palin is leaving politics to pursue other things, then resigning as Goveror of Alaska won't really matter much. If however, she decides to run for public office again, she'll be rightly branded as a quitter. All political leaders face difficult times, if you quit in the face of adversity, people will ask...what happens if America faces a national crisis with Sarah Palin as President? Will she quit?? 😏
  12. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 02:50
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Can anyone name another candidate running for high office whose family presented such a tabloid goldmine?

From my memory of watching the steady roll of new candidates on the block being paraded as suitable options, if there was one constant, then all succesful candidate families tended to conform to a certain manifestation of American Wholesomeness, a cer ...[text shortened]... t thats the conspiracist meanderings possibly best left for another thread.
    As far as another candidate running for high office,Jimmy Carter comes to mind w/ his drunk brother Billy. He even came out w/ his own beer called "Billy Beer". I believe one time he was caught on camera taking a leak on the runway next to the plane.
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 02:551 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    As far as another candidate running for high office,Jimmy Carter comes to mind w/ his drunk brother Billy. He even came out w/ his own beer called "Billy Beer". I believe one time he was caught on camera taking a leak on the runway next to the plane.
    I heard someone once asked Jimmy's mother why she raised Jimmy to be President and not Billy.

She responded: "You think I was going to trust Jimmy with the peanut farm?"

🙂
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 03:021 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    I like Palin. I thought her speech at the GOP convention was good.
    Mmmm. I had you down as a 'one nation' type American. So you were not uncomfortable with the calculatedly divisive 'this is real America' and 'they're not the real Americans' type stuff on Palin's part? -- my paraphrasing, but you know exactly what I mean.
  15. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 03:07
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=billy+beer&_sacat=See-All-Categories

1 can, 0.99, 0 bids.

six pack Billy Beer unopened, 1 bid, $5.00.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree