1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 17:18
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Information on this issue is not unavailable. The answer to the first question is that legal experts are somewhat divided on the issue. The statutory framework gives some credence to a claim that the delay of the mandate in these cases is allowed, but IMO a more persuasive analysis of the language is that it was designed to have the Secretary of HHS mere ...[text shortened]... e: http://www.volokh.com/2013/12/20/baseline-enforcement-discretion-affordable-care-act-waivers/
    Thanks for the information and the link. I have been quite uncomfortable with Obama's decisions for some time. The sources of the ACA problems extend further across government than the Oval Office.
  2. Joined
    24 Jun '04
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 11:04
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Patriots without question are people who have love of country as their base religion. That isn't for me.

My core convictions are not based on man's laws and my love of country is based on the Constitution and when the political leaders ignore it, I can't give my allegiance to them. As a matter of fact, I am bound to believe quite the contrary.
    I agree with all of that. I'm asking for your allegiance to the American people and the U.S. Constitution, not to any particular government, party, or individual.
  3. Joined
    24 Jun '04
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 11:10
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Actually, the ACA doesn't - nor does any bill - confer any privilege upon the Executive to alter its content once it is passed. However, the Supreme Court has traditionally provided wide latitude to the Executive. The Constitution charges the Executive "to take care that the laws are faithfully executed." Madison et al took a dim view of executive di ...[text shortened]... into Boston Harbor by now. Folks with more guts and who weren't so addicted to Real Housewives.
    I agree that there's the potential for executive powers to be incrementally expanded, while the American people are too distracted with partisan conflicts to complain when their own party does it. Does anyone have information on the extent to which executive powers have been expanding with each successive presidency?
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 19:00
    Originally posted by karnachz
    I agree with all of that. I'm asking for your allegiance to the American people and the U.S. Constitution, not to any particular government, party, or individual.
    When there is a big enough group of us to where we can overthrow the people in charge, then I will consider giving up my life. Until then I'll just continue to survive.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 19:13
    Originally posted by karnachz
    I agree that there's the potential for executive powers to be incrementally expanded, while the American people are too distracted with partisan conflicts to complain when their own party does it. Does anyone have information on the extent to which executive powers have been expanding with each successive presidency?
    http://www.bu.edu/law/central/jd/organizations/journals/bulr/documents/MARSHALL.pdf

"Part I of this Essay makes the descriptive case by briefly canvassing
    a series of factors that have had, and continue to have, the effect of expanding presidential power..."
  6. Joined
    24 Jun '04
    Moves
    25 Dec '13 07:39
    Originally posted by Eladar
    When there is a big enough group of us to where we can overthrow the people in charge, then I will consider giving up my life. Until then I'll just continue to survive.
    That's not a problem. I'm not asking you to overthrow anyone. I'm just asking for your peacetime allegiance, in the abstract, to the American people and the U.S. Constitution.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree