The developing freedom in the middle-east

The developing freedom in the middle-east

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
27 Jun 09

Talking of the middle east - it's interesting how cheaply the accusation of 'anti-semitism' rolls off the tongue. No one here can find a single 'anti-semitic' remark or argument by me, not even once, in five years. I can say that because I don't have an 'anti-semitic' bone in my body. And yet several American blowhards here have chosen to hurl it anyway. All in the interests of stifling debate, I suppose.

F

Moves
27 Jun 09

Originally posted by joe beyser
How do you feel about the UN having enough power to become a world governing head that dictates laws to the nations? Laws such as taxation, gun control, property ownership as just a few examples.
I don't think about it at all.

jb

Moves
27 Jun 09

Originally posted by FMF
I don't think about it at all.
Do you think of global carbon taxes?

F

Moves
27 Jun 09

Originally posted by joe beyser
Do you think of global carbon taxes?
Start a new thread, Joe. This is "The developing freedom in the middle-east" and I already get accused enough of posting off-topic, often rightfully so.

jb

Moves
27 Jun 09

Originally posted by FMF
Start a new thread, Joe. This is "The developing freedom in the middle-east" and I already get accused enough of posting off-topic, often rightfully so.
It is easy to start down the many rabbit trails. Sorry!

g

Pepperland

Moves
27 Jun 09

Originally posted by FMF
Your brush off will make the little rightwing munchkin posters - like generalissimo and utherpendragon - happy, indeed, perhaps they are the sneery sniggery audience you are aiming at. But the rest, centrists, neutrals, leftists, the politically literate, will wonder why you didn't field any of the points I made. But they'll know the answer.
FMF pointing the finger at others again, laughable.

You must be out of your mind, if you consider yourself "politically literate".

g

Pepperland

Moves
27 Jun 09

Originally posted by FMF
I don't attempt to characterize my beliefs as "patriotism". My invective is aimed at extremists and the incorrigibly ignorant.
My invective is aimed at extremists and the incorrigibly ignorant.

or rather, the people you disagree with. I've never seem you condemning extremists like scherzo, or ignorant posters like no1.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
28 Jun 09
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Your brush off will make the little rightwing munchkin posters - like generalissimo and utherpendragon - happy, indeed, perhaps they are the sneery sniggery audience you are aiming at. But the rest, centrists, neutrals, leftists, the politically literate, will wonder why you didn't field any of the points I made. But they'll know the answer.
My "brushoff" was due to the fact that you're trying to draw me into a discussion that had nothing to do with my original post.

Paraphrasing:

I post: Secularization is good; theocracy is bad. I sure hope Iran secularizes and gets rid of their theocracy.

You reply: The US supported the Shah and lots of other bad tyrants in the Middle East. How could you leave this salient fact out of your point!?

My initial post had nothing to do with that, your shoehorned implications based on the thread title notwithstanding. I have and had no intention of getting into the tangential discussion that you bring up.

You made the point that I implied something based on the thread title. I denied incorporating the thread title into my point. You criticized that position. Fine; whatever. I feel no need to try to convince you of something that seems plain to me about my own intent. As far as I'm concerned, this issue is done.

Hence my alternatives were to simply ignore your demands that I enter this fray to justify something I had no intention of stating in the first place or post what I perceived to me a mildly humorous brush off. I chose the latter.

I'll let the "centrists, neutrals, leftists, the politically literate" decide for themselves how to interpret my posts and yours, thank you very much, though you do seem to love to speak for the other people on this board.

F

Moves
28 Jun 09
1 edit

Originally posted by sh76
My "brushoff" was due to the fact that you're trying to draw me into a discussion that had nothing to do with my original post.

Paraphrasing:

I post: Secularization is good; theocracy is bad. I sure hope Iran secularizes and gets rid of their theocracy.

You reply: The US supported the Shah and lots of other bad tyrants in the Middle East. How could you nk you very much, though you do seem to love to speak for the other people on this board.
A long tedious post which does nothing to further the discussion about freedom in the middle east. Thanks. Your suggestion that U.S. support for tyranny is "tangential" to a discussion about freedom just about says it all, as does your humourless self-pitying tone about being called on your obscurantist flannel about others' belief systems and traditions.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
28 Jun 09

Originally posted by FMF
A long tedious post which does nothing to further the discussion about freedom in the middle east. Thanks. Your suggestion that U.S. support for tyranny is "tangential" to a discussion about freedom just about says it all, as does your humourless self-pitying tone about being called on your obscurantist flannel about others' belief systems and traditions.
The right wingers, left wingers, centrists, reasonable people, unreasonable people, westerners, easterners, northerners and southerners who read this board all unanimously think that post is a pompous load of crap.

F

Moves
28 Jun 09
1 edit

Originally posted by sh76
The right wingers, left wingers, centrists, reasonable people, unreasonable people, westerners, easterners, northerners and southerners who read this board all unanimously think that post is a pompous load of crap.
Still no response to my wholly pertinent points about developing freedom in the middle-east? Just a personal attack?

Apart from Iran and Saudi Arabia, what other regimes in the middle east are you claiming are "theocracies"?

g

Pepperland

Moves
28 Jun 09
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Still no response to my wholly pertinent points about developing freedom in the middle-east? Just a personal attack?

Apart from Iran and Saudi Arabia, what other regimes in the middle east are you claiming are "theocracies"?
Your assumption that the middle-east lacks freedom due wholly to previous intervention from the US is simply untrue, mistaken, or made probably because of your idea that the US is responsible for every evil in the world in one way or another.

Most of them, afghanistan, pakistan, all the countries in the
Arabian Peninsula, etc. They're heavily influenced by Islam, or Islamic states.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
28 Jun 09

Originally posted by FMF
None; Did I ever say anything to the contrary? I was talking about Iran and Iran alone.

F

Moves
28 Jun 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
Your assumption that the middle-east lacks freedom due wholly to previous intervention from the US is simply untrue, mistaken, or made probably because of your idea that the US is responsible for every evil in the world in one way or another.
Where have I claimed that the middle east's freedom deficit is "wholly" due to the U.S.? And my idea is that the U.S. is responsible for "every evil in the world", is it? This is self-peripheralizing barrel scraping type debating, of the most barrel scraping kind, genralissimo.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
28 Jun 09
1 edit

Originally posted by uzless
Another one too lazy to look up google?

Sigh...only becauue i'm feeling generous...

1. China - 1945 to 1960s: Was Mao Tse-tung just paranoid?
2. Italy - 1947-1948: Free elections, Hollywood style
3. Greece - 1947 to early 1950s: From cradle of democracy to client state
4. The Philippines - 1940s and 1950s: America's oldest colony
5. Korea - 1 Washington style
55. Haiti - 1986-1994: Who will rid me of this turbulent priest?
No. It's called the burden of proof. The one asserting a fact has the burden of proof. It's basic logic.

There's also the fact that "propping" is a vague term which is too easily used to imply and hint instead of clearly stating what is meant. How do you disprove "propping" up a government?

Of course it's well known the US and other Western countries have been meddling in the Middle East for a long time. Then again our badass Navy was born to keep these Muslim asshats from robbing our people blind on the high seas.