1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    13 Jan '21 06:01
    Seemingly he phoned the FBI to explain that he was the man in the horned hat. And gave them his name (Jacob A.A. C.).

So, the FBI arrested him and he gave a statement compring himself to other protesters who had once been arrested: Martin Luther King, Gandhi and Jesus...

Three individuals well known for their violent protesting...

In jail, he went on hunger strike. And his mum released a statement: “He only eats organic food.”
    And a judge has granted him this demand.

You may also be wondering how this veteran lives. Well, he’s a mummy’s boy and lives at home.

Anyhoo... all this is true.

Does everyone agree that you can demand a special diet when you’re arrested for sedition?
  2. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 Jan '21 07:54
    A few Points:

* the guy is not convicted yet. So punishment will only begin after a Judge decided on that. We should be very accurate there, even if we have a strong opinion.
    * Everybody, even convicted felons should be able to eat what their personal choices are. (And no this doesn't mean Gourmet meals, but meals within a reaonable dies. So no prok for muslims, no meat for vegetarians, no milk for vegans,...)
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '21 07:581 edit
    @shavixmir said

Does everyone agree that you can demand a special diet when you’re arrested for sedition?
    Irrespective of what a person is arrested for, they should not be given a special diet unless there is a bonafide medical, or religious reason for doing so.

Organic shouldn’t even get on the list!
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '21 09:17
    @ponderable said
    A few Points:

* the guy is not convicted yet. So punishment will only begin after a Judge decided on that. We should be very accurate there, even if we have a strong opinion.
    * Everybody, even convicted felons should be able to eat what their personal choices are. (And no this doesn't mean Gourmet meals, but meals within a reaonable dies. So no prok for muslims, no meat for vegetarians, no milk for vegans,...)
    they should, within reason.

In other news, muslim prisoners in Guantanamo bay have, for years, been choosing between pork meals and expired halal meals. Go sick or go against your beliefs. This whiney ashole got hist dietary "needs" met within days.

Like someone on twitter said, if you must have a standard, make it double.

(this isn't an atrack on you but on the US, in case it wasn't clear)
  5. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    13 Jan '21 09:49
    @zahlanzi said
    they should, within reason.

In other news, muslim prisoners in Guantanamo bay have, for years, been choosing between pork meals and expired halal meals. Go sick or go against your beliefs. This whiney ashole got hist dietary "needs" met within days.

Like someone on twitter said, if you must have a standard, make it double.

(this isn't an atrack on you but on the US, in case it wasn't clear)
    Is organic reasonable?

I know it annoys people here that Muslims get kosha meat in prison. People don't need meat, everyone in prison could be having a well organised Whole Grain Plant Based (vegan without the junk) lifestyle. It would be good for them and it's food that needs preparing each day and careful planing for enough minerals and vitamins which means there's lots of meaningful jobs to appoint.

They should be treated with respect, but not singled out for special treatment positive or negative imo
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    13 Jan '21 10:483 edits
    @shavixmir said
    Seemingly he phoned the FBI to explain that he was the man in the horned hat. And gave them his name (Jacob A.A. C.).

So, the FBI arrested him and he gave a statement compring himself to other protesters who had once been arrested: Martin Luther King, Gandhi and Jesus...

In jail, he went on hunger strike. ...[text shortened]... s true.

Hmmm, my gut reaction is "So, snowflake wants vegan, does he?" Prison is not a restaurant. Prisoners shouldn't have the luxury of making demands.

My sister works in the kitchen of a state prison (she's an employee, not a 'resident' ). I'll ask her whether there is a prison policy on this sort of thing and get back to you.

EDIT:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jake-angeli-qanon-rioter-organic_n_5ffd2ad5c5b6567198888c46
  7. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    13 Jan '21 13:121 edit
    @shavixmir said

In jail, he went on hunger strike. ...[text shortened]... s true.

Vegetarian and vegan diets should be respected along with allergy related restrictions but someone having access to the kind of diet that most non offenders cannot afford is taking prisoner welfare a step too far in my opinion.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    13 Jan '21 18:54
    @shavixmir

All right, here's the low-down. My sister is the kitchen manager at the men's maximum security state prison in AK, resident population 500+. This morning, I fired off the following questions at her:

>>
    Is there a prison policy about dietary restrictions or preferences? I mean, Muslims and Jews have pretty strict beliefs about what they’ll eat. Halal meats and so on, and I wonder how far the prison kitchen would go to meet those dietary preferences. Obviously, if a prisoner has a medical condition or an allergy against something, the prison kitchen probably can take measures to avoid certain foods. But what about a prisoner who insists on eating vegan?? Would the prison kitchen go that far to accommodate him?
    <<

Her reply, verbatim:

<<
    Yes, yes and yes. We serve no pork of any kind in the facility so that meets both the Jewish & Muslim requirements. We don’t have any Orthodox Jews so we don’t go any farther with that. We have far more Muslims simply because many more of the black population practices that. We have a “special diet” cook position in the kitchen and that’s the hardest job in the kitchen because the inmate has to 1) know how to cook and 2) improvise & make his own recipes to accommodate all the diets; we have 1800 calorie diet, Low Fat/Low Salt diet, anti-allergen diets (individual allergies per person) sometimes simple like can’t have eggs or fish, some are more more restrictive like they can’t have wheat, dairy, or peanuts. They’re hard to do. Renal diets (kidney disease). Vegan AND vegetarian. And yes we have to provide special meals during the month long Ramadan for Muslims; big pain in the butt that one is: periods of fasting followed by double portions after sunset. But this is America so we have to accommodate everyone. Biggest challenge is that we also have 1) a very tight budget, I think it’s about $1.80 per meal, and very basic nutrition & calorie requirements must be met. Holidays are ALWAYS a BIG deal because they get things they don’t get for regular meals; fried chicken, ice cream, cheese burgers, cinnamon rolls and the like. Everything (except ice cream) is made from scratch every day, all breads, beans, BBQ sauce, you name it, all made from scratch. It’s a big operation. Also serving 500+ meals more or less simultaneously is big part of the challenge; not 500 meals over the course of an evening like a big restaurant. We can save some costs by locally produced vegetables from inmate farms up in the valley . . . and we get salmon from the cannery here in Seward and other places in Alaska where minimum security inmates can work in seafood processing. The “for profit” prisons in the lower 48 do none of this. Prisoners from places like that love our food -they tell me they get 1 bologna sandwich every single day for lunch no variation 365 days a year and 2 baloney sandwiches for “brunch” on weekends.
    We vary all our meals on 5 week cycles. Because of the way the state government holiday calendar is set up I’m going to be running the kitchen EVERY holiday up to Thanksgiving & Christmas. 😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬
    Holiday meals are both fun AND stressful.
    >>

Well, blow me down, I done lernt sumpin' today: you get better food, and more selection, in the AK state prison system than on a first-class ticket with Lufthansa. Al B. Jiggered !
  9. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    13 Jan '21 19:22
    @moonbus said
    @shavixmir

All right, here's the low-down. My sister is the kitchen manager at the men's maximum security state prison in AK, resident population 500+. This morning, I fired off the following questions at her:

>>
    Is there a prison policy about dietary restrictions or preferences? I mean, Muslims and Jews have pretty strict beliefs about what they’ll eat. Halal meats ...[text shortened]... lection, in the AK state prison system than on a first-class ticket with Lufthansa. Al B. Jiggered !
    She clearly takes her job seriously. It doesn't sound like the profiting prisons do though, just giving baloney sandwiches every day. We have a similar issue here with free school meal companies.

"We have far more Muslims simply because many more of the black population practices that."

I was surprised by the acceptance of the injustice about the black: other ratio of inmates in her statement. Is that a typically accepted thing?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Jan '21 19:56
    @yo-its-me said
    She clearly takes her job seriously. It doesn't sound like the profiting prisons do though, just giving baloney sandwiches every day. We have a similar issue here with free school meal companies.

"We have far more Muslims simply because many more of the black population practices that."

I was surprised by the acceptance of the injustice about the black: other ratio of inmates in her statement. Is that a typically accepted thing?

Why shouldn't it be accepted? Its factual.
  11. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    13 Jan '21 20:16
    @joe-shmo said

Why shouldn't it be accepted? Its factual.
    Factual doesn't equal acceptable dose it?
    The way the words are framed; there's an apparent acceptance of the situation. But she's talking to family, so I was asking if it's a largely accepted injustice in the states, or not.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Jan '21 20:223 edits
    @yo-its-me said
    Factual doesn't equal acceptable dose it?
    The way the words are framed; there's an apparent acceptance of the situation. But she's talking to family, so I was asking if it's a largely accepted injustice in the states, or not.
    Injustice? What injustice?

The white people that commit murder are in prison as well. Its just that the Blacks are committing 1.2 times as many murders annually ( despite being 1/5 th the white population ), its really quite an impressive statistic.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    13 Jan '21 20:562 edits
    @yo-its-me said

I think the point is that among the prison population there, Black Muslims outnumber non/Black Muslims. straightforward factual observation.
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 04:30
    @moonbus said
    @shavixmir

>>
    Is there a prison policy about dietary restrictions or preferences? I mean, Muslims and Jews have pretty strict beliefs about what they’ll eat. Halal meats ...[text shortened]... lection, in the AK state prison system than on a first-class ticket with Lufthansa. Al B. Jiggered !
    Very interesting.
    Thank you. And your source.
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 04:35
    @yo-its-me said

It’s a poverty gap.

People in prison tend to come from lower income households, built-up areas (urban) and there are far fewer Jews in these areas (in the US) than Moslims.

The poverty in urban settings in many US cities tend to be black. The white poverty, again generally, being more out in the sticks.

Hence the over-representation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree