A new music competition

A new music competition

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
26 Jul 07

I found that i can get some afirly natty sound from my PC if i use the windows video maker, and record a comentary....still haven't found out how to just do sound, but there you 😛

d

Moves
26 Jul 07

Originally posted by Starrman
Yup, it is not the case that it is false. If you and Cribs are really that concerned you can have a little category all to yourself called 'Jazz and Classical malcontents'.
********************EGO TRIP ALERT**************************************

N

The sky

Moves
26 Jul 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Make sure it goes in Covers, not Instrumental, per the rules.
I know, I asked about that when we had the first round because I had no idea what "Cover" means. Personally I don't like the categories, you get completely incomparable pieces in the same category, and the names of the categories are very much biased towards certain styles (I don't think anyone ever calls the rendition of a classical piece "Cover", or a classical chamber music group a "band", or an experimental electronic piece "Dance" ). But I know it's difficult to find categories that make sense, and if they were different, I am sure someone else would complain.

d

Moves
26 Jul 07

Originally posted by Nordlys
I know, I asked about that when we had the first round because I had no idea what "Cover" means. Personally I don't like the categories, you get completely incomparable pieces in the same category, and the names of the categories are very much biased towards certain styles (I don't think anyone ever calls the rendition of a classical piece "Cover", or a clas ...[text shortened]... s that make sense, and if they were different, I am sure someone else would complain.
Classical or Jazz or Instrumental should be its own category. Bonus consideration should be given to those who write their own pieces but they should be judged in the same category. Someone playing a Bach piece for their entry should hardly be considered a cover. That's just silly.

S

Moves
26 Jul 07

Originally posted by demonseed
********************EGO TRIP ALERT**************************************
You're mistaking my lack of interest for ego, this is meant to be a fun competition and I'm not about to pander to Cribs' petty nonsense because he's too smug to let his loungecore jazz fit in with the low-brow covers.

h

Moves
26 Jul 07

These are the categories:
(Thread 73634)

1. Singer Songwriter
2. Band
3. Purely Vocal or Purely Instrumental
4. Covers
5. Dance

If someone is playing a jazz standard on their own, then it would go in 3.
If they played Souvenirs D'andalousie on their ass cheeks, then it would go in 3.
If they played the solo for Stairway to Heaven, then it would go in 4.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
26 Jul 07

I see we have two entries so far. I am fully prepared to double the size of the pool of entries if I am allowed to submit both a real cover and an original arrangement of a jazz standard.

S

Moves
26 Jul 07

Frankly I've gone off this whole idea. I'm not sure why I agreed to do it in the first place, I have precious little time as it is and I certainly can't be bothered to argue about which categories are which. Do whatever you please, the Gspace account is there if you need it.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
26 Jul 07

Originally posted by Starrman
Frankly I've gone off this whole idea. I'm not sure why I agreed to do it in the first place, I have precious little time as it is and I certainly can't be bothered to argue about which categories are which. Do whatever you please, the Gspace account is there if you need it.
Weak

S

Moves
26 Jul 07

Weak
Boring

d

Moves
26 Jul 07

Weak
Since he has stepped down, why don't you take over and revamp the categories as you see fit?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
26 Jul 07
2 edits

Originally posted by darvlay
Since he has stepped down, why don't you take over and revamp the categories as you see fit?
I think the categories were done ass backwards. The bulk of submissions will likely not be original compositions, so originals should get one category and non-originals should be partitioned into sub-categories.

Overall, I would propose this scheme:

1) Original compositions of any variety
2) Instrumental
3) Singer/Songwriter
4) Band
5) Dance, rap and other crap

Further, these partitions are not designed to be disjoint. Some entry might qualify to go in multiple categories and it is at the contestant's discretion where to enter it. For example, somebody might have a completely original instrumental piece recorded by a bluegrass band. Such a recording could be submitted under (1), (2), or (4). As another example, any singer/songwriter recording, whether cover or original, could be submitted under (3). As another example, a guitar/vocal duo recorded with another person could go under (3) or (4), or even (5) if it breaks into a rap in the middle.

But I really shouldn't have to both administer and win this competition. I can just see it now, after the votes come in and I win a few prizes, here comes Starrman: "You can't win your own competition!"

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
26 Jul 07

sod categories - they're just a means to make more "winners" so that more ego's can be stroked.

Everyone submit one piece of work, everyone votes for their top 5, points are added up to show who is the winner.

Easy.

Now, go practice.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
26 Jul 07

Originally posted by rhb
sod categories - they're just a means to make more "winners" so that more ego's can be stroked.

Everyone submit one piece of work, everyone votes for their top 5, points are added up to show who is the winner.

Easy.

Now, go practice.
I'm down with that, although I would like to make more than one entry.

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
26 Jul 07

I'm down with that, although I would like to make more than one entry.
do what you want, you'll probably just water down your final score that way though. Think about it.