1. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 22:591 edit
    There will five categories (unless people call for more) as follows:

1. Singer Songwriter (Exactly what it says)
    2. Band (Anything that requires a number more than 1 to create)
    3. Purely Vocal or Purely Instrumental (To give some of you who are budding instrumental talents but have no singing voice to flourish, and visa versa)
    4. Covers (Any and all may submit a cover, we encourage adaptations rather than straight recreations)
    5. Dance (includes all forms of computer based composition, MIDI, sampling etc.)

These entries will be judged within their categories for the following awards:

Best S/S
    Best Band
    Best Vocal/Instrumental Piece
    Best Cover
    Best Dance Music Piece

In addition, there will be awards for the following, which are open to all:

Best Composer
    Best Musician(s) (technique/ability)
    Best Live Act (if there are enough live versions submitted)
    Best Lyrics

And finally the most prestigious award of all, Best Overall Submission

So, if you wish to take part, please follow the guidelines below:

A) The competition will be hosted using Gspace as a file transfer site. To use this you need the following: 1) Firefox: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ 2) Gspace: http://www.getgspace.com/download.html

Install Firefox and then install Gspace. When you start Firefox thereafter you will find the Gspace add-on in the Tools menu. Choose it and log in to the account et voila! The login is RHPMusic, the password is competition. I'll set up the folders ready to receive the entries, all you have to do is upload the tunes to the appropriate folder. I'll be policing these myself, so make sure you get it right or I'll do something despicable to you.

B) Music entered into this competition must be:
    *your own work, you may only enter covers for the Covers category and for no other, all other categories must be originals only
    *In mp3 format
    *No larger than 15MB and preferably closer to 5MB

C) You may submit one tune per category. So one person may submit 3 pieces if they can fit into the 3 categories, 4 if they fit in four etc. Multiple entries in one category will be deleted.

D) NO TUNES BY NON-RHP MEMBERS WILL BE ACCEPTED - I'm not running this competition so people can advertise their family, friends, or other associated minions.

E) Submission will be open until August 4th as a provisional date and we'll see how people get on.

F) Voting will then take place for one week thereafter so we'll have a winner by the 2nd week in August, subject to my whim and Cribs' moaning.

If anyone has any queries about the competition, the rules, the voting system or needs help in achieving any of this, post here.
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 23:34
    Do instrumental arrangements of jazz standards go in Covers or Purely Instrumental?
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 23:501 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Do instrumental arrangements of jazz standards go in Covers or Purely Instrumental?
    did you write it?

I would have to think you could put one in each of you wanted if any given song falls under more than one category?

P-
  4. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 00:31
    Cheers Starrman!!
  5. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 00:59
    I submitted a cover. It's my first recording, I've only been playing guitar for 4 months and I don't have a good voice so it may not be something you want to hear, but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway. That's what this is about anyway, right?

I added a violin/cello track that I didn't play. I assume that's alright. It's a very minor part.
  6. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 01:061 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    There will five categories (unless people call for more) as follows:

[b]1. Singer Songwriter
    (Exactly what it says)
    2. Band (Anything that requires a number more than 1 to create)
    3. Purely Vocal or Purely Instrumental (To give some of you who are budding instrumental talents but have no singing voice to flourish, and visa versa)
    petition, the rules, the voting system or needs help in achieving any of this, post here.
    How do I get minions?

Please use a [/b] in future.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 05:341 edit
    Covers. A song can only feature in one category.
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 05:393 edits
    Oh yes, two more things. I need all submissions to include their author's usernames in the filename and all covers to include the original artist's name.
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 06:132 edits
    Hella yeah!

All I need is:
    - One bottle of single malt whiskey
    - A guitar
    - A recorder
    - A house
    - That uploading stuff

I don't think I'm gonna make it 🙁
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 06:53
    Covers.
    Weak. An arrangement/improvisation of a jazz standard exhibits far more musical originality and creativity than does a dance mix that uses sampled drum and bass loops.
  11. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 07:21
    I'm in full support of the competition, but I think that using gspace is a very bad idea. It's inaccessible to a lot of people, and any retard with a grudge can log into the account and delete all of the entries.
  12. The sky
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 09:58
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    I'm in full support of the competition, but I think that using gspace is a very bad idea. It's inaccessible to a lot of people, and any retard with a grudge can log into the account and delete all of the entries.
    Inaccessible to a lot of people? How so? You don't need to use gspace to download the files. I agree with your second point though, hadn't thought of that.
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 10:53
    Weak. An arrangement/improvisation of a jazz standard exhibits far more musical originality and creativity than does a dance mix that uses sampled drum and bass loops.
    And also enough self-gratifying, high-brow, masturbatory pompousness for me to resign it to the covers folder, since it is a cover.
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 10:55
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    Why is it inaccessible to people?

I'm not about to worry about @ssholes, but I'll be keeping backups of the files anyway.
  15. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 11:021 edit

I'm not about to worry about @ssholes, but I'll be keeping backups of the files anyway.

A) The competition will be hosted using Gspace as a file transfer site ........ I'll set up the folders ready to receive the entries, all you have to do is upload the tunes to the appropriate folder. I'll be policing these myself, so make sure you get it right or I'll do something despicable to you.

Therefore you have to use firefox if you want to upload your files.

What about if someone subterfugelly swops files and you don't notice, e.g. what if someone replaces doctorscribbles' submission with a Vanilla Ice cover and no-one notices until the party is over? Are you going to check the files every day?

Would it be easier to use the remaining subscription on the now defunct Gnipe website to host the audio files?

Also - if there is too much traffic on your gmail account it will get attention from the Google police.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree