1. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 13:25
    Do you think that it might be a good thing to expose our weakness, then we stand a chance of overcoming them,rather than relying on a supernatural being.
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 17:20
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Do I take it then Mr. Shrink, that you think that there is no GOD?
    Just one? How does that work? I mean before "I" was all here before reality started.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 01:45
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Babies aren't born knowing about gods, they're part of the received wisdom.
    You're wrong! 😛

I'm God's Gift to Mankind! 😉
  4. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 03:131 edit
    Originally posted by OdBod
    Do you think that it might be a good thing to expose our weakness, then we stand a chance of overcoming them,rather than relying on a supernatural being.
    Interesting insight. Though in my experience, most believers in whatever supernatural deity readily recognize and admit their weaknesses. By recognition and admission, one is well on their way to overcoming their weaknesses.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 03:32
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Fundamentally speaking, are humans good or bad? It's a question that has repeatedly been asked throughout humanity. For thousands of years, philosophers have debated whether we have a basically good nature that is corrupted by society, or a basically bad nature that is kept in check by society. Psychology has uncovered some evidence which might give the old ...[text shortened]... and Milgram experiments.

This time it reveals something nice about human nature!! 🙂

-m.
    First you have to define what is good.

Well?
  6. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 03:45

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 12:31
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Interesting insight. Though in my experience, most believers in whatever supernatural deity readily recognize and admit their weaknesses. By recognition and admission, one is well on their way to overcoming their weaknesses.
    Fair point, but most god based belief systems tie the individual to a set of guidelines enforced through various mechanisms or stone wall reasoned argument with reference to unquestioned belief.

This I think places limits on independent thinking. Values change and what is good or bad is not always clear. We need to deal with ongoing and new situations ourselves, and take full responsibility for our own future, to do this I think that independent thought should not be restricted.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 13:401 edit
    Originally posted by OdBod
    Fair point, but most god based belief systems tie the individual to a set of guidelines enforced through various mechanisms or stone wall reasoned argument with reference to unquestioned belief.

This I think places limits on independent thinking. Values change and what is good or bad is not always clear. We need to deal with ongoing and new situations ourse ...[text shortened]... bility for our own future, to do this I think that independent thought should not be restricted.
    Strip away the facade, human beings are rotten. No damn good. Depraved, there's nothing to be redeemed except for a soul that recognizes its helplessnes and determines to do something about. As with any hole, climbing out requires help. The Creator, alone, is able to come to the rescue (and He did). An uncoerced decision to accept that help represents the only thing we have He considers worth having. Think. Give it, extraction from the perils of going it alone. Hide behind emotional pride and arrogance. Withhold it, eternal separation from God and unimaginable suffering forever. Today, you decide.
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 14:14
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Today, you decide.
    Or else! 😠
  10. Wat?
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 14:561 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    First you have to define what is good.

Well?
    That depends upon your own experience and phenomenal field, with regard to your own cognitive schemata. What is good is individualistic, but does have a level of some shared perception in points of view, primarily 'empathy'.

We all perceive who we are are at any given moment, and we shape our perceptions by general factors, including past, present and our future expectations. If we all, as indicuals can have a tendency to actualise bringing those tendencies together then we strongly move away from the distortions of individualism in an agreed manner.
    That leads to the phenomenon that I would class as being 'shared goodness'.

-m.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 15:02
    Originally posted by HandyAndy

Or else! 😠
    Remember one thing. He has Final Thumbs, one ^ and one v.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 15:10

That depends upon your own experience and phenomenal field, with regard to your own cognitive schemata. What is good is individualistic, but does have a level of some shared perception in points of view, primarily 'empathy'.

We all perceive who we are are at any given moment, and we shape our perceptions by general factors, including past, present and our ...[text shortened]... nner.
    That leads to the phenomenon that I would class as being 'shared goodness'.

-m.
    Subjective human speculation is foolhardy, equivalent to building snow forts unmindful of the big dogs' dog pee. Worthless as the options of defecating in your hand or farting in the wind and going blind. Vertical Relationship matters (and it's free).
    -
  13. Wat?
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 15:11
    Remember one thing. He has Final Thumbs, one ^ and one v.
    And we all get the latter!
  14. Wat?
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 15:14
    Subjective human speculation is foolhardy
    And we all know who is an expert in that field, don't we Bobby?

Or probably not, in your case! 😉

-m.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 15:211 edit

And we all get the latter!
    If that's a question, not everbody gets the latter. Some are given a ladder. We, alone, choose.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree