Are humans fundamentally good or bad?

Are humans fundamentally good or bad?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
19 Jan 13

Originally posted by mikelom

And we all know who is an expert in that field, don't we Bobby?

Or probably not, in your case! 😉

[b]-m.
[/b]
Interesting that you should use the word 'expert'.

Our 2012 Class Year Book recognizes several experts in different fields of endeavor.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Jan 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
If that's a question, not everbody gets the latter. Some are given a ladder. We, alone, choose.
One of your better posts.

I concur.

O

Moves
19 Jan 13

Strip away the facade, human beings are rotten. No damn good. Depraved, there's nothing to be redeemed except for a soul that recognizes its helplessnes and determines to do something about. As with any hole, climbing out requires help. The Creator, alone, is able to come to the rescue (and He did). An uncoerced decision to accept that help represents t ...[text shortened]... hold it, eternal separation from God and unimaginable suffering forever. Today, you decide.
I think this is one of those mechanisms I mentioned .I agree with you ,humans are all those things and worse!However,what about the good aspects ?Our need to live together forces us to confront our failings ,this is a hard and painful process,but is that a reason to hand over responsibility to a god? In the end do you want to see mankind as a helpless creature who cannot survive on its own or maybe develop through experience both good and bad to become more than what we are ?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
19 Jan 13

We are not good and we are not bad. Don't be afraid to look.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/paldr001/myblog/devil%2Band%2Bangel%2Bhomer2.jpg

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
19 Jan 13

Originally posted by OdBod

I think this is one of those mechanisms I mentioned .I agree with you ,humans are all those things and worse!However,what about the good aspects ?Our need to live together forces us to confront our failings ,this is a hard and painful process,but is that a reason to hand over responsibility to a god? In the end do you want to see mankind as a helpless creature ...[text shortened]... e on its own or maybe develop through experience both good and bad to become more than what we are ?
I think this is one of those mechanisms I mentioned .I agree with you ,humans are all those things and worse!However,what about the good aspects ?Our need to live together forces us to confront our failings ,this is a hard and painful process,but is that a reason to hand over responsibility to a god? In the end do you want to see mankind as a helpless creature who cannot survive on its own or maybe develop through experience both good and bad to become more than what we are ?

... what about the good aspects ? There is no good of intrinsic value. All are physically born spiritually dead (body and soul).

... is that a reason to hand over responsibility to a god? Absolutely. We trust doctors (and spouses) with our bodies; to whom else would you entrust your eternal soul?

... see mankind as a helpless creature? Hell, no. We have physical, emotional and intellectual energy to burn. We only behave to the extent that we're easy in the harness of social and legal [TOS] constraints imposed.
-

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
19 Jan 13
1 edit

Originally posted by apathist
We are not good and we are not bad. Don't be afraid to look.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/paldr001/myblog/devil%2Band%2Bangel%2Bhomer2.jpg
You haven't a clue. What's worse, you waste your breath and time with substitutionary activities designed to fill the vacuun of your soul; and, simultaneously, give off the (false) impression that you've got your stuff together, masquerading as kewl. You pose as the shallow fool without realizing you're fulfilling the role. You, friend, are to be pitied. Not an ember of scorn.
-

O

Moves
19 Jan 13

I think this is one of those mechanisms I mentioned .I agree with you ,humans are all those things and worse!However,[b]what about the good aspects ?Our need to live together forces us to confront our failings ,this is a hard and painful process,but is that a reason to hand over responsibility to a god? In the end do you want to see mankin ...[text shortened]... to the extent that we're easy in the harness of social and legal [TOS] constraints imposed.
-
Again,I agree with you on many points.I think that the development of an individual is an ongoing process which begins probably before birth. I have to trust in the abilities of others more expert than myself , but that trust is not absolute and experts are fallible.I also think that we behave because of societal constraints(Lord of the Flies) .Civilisation needs a frame work to which an individual can refer, in order to live with others given limited resources .The structure of Civilisation can be and has often changed, belief in "absolutes"I think restricts the ability to change when change may be needed.With reference to the soul ,this would be a problem to person of faith,but I personally do not think it exists.If this is the only existence we have do you not think it makes life and other people more precious?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
19 Jan 13

You haven't a clue. What's worse, you waste your breath and time with substitutionary activities designed to fill the vacuun of your soul; and, simultaneously, give off the (false) impression that you've got your stuff together, masquerading as kewl. You pose as the shallow fool without realizing you're fulfilling the role. You, friend, are to be pitied. Not an ember of scorn.
-
So it really hurt your feelings that I don't believe in your god. Could she be any weaker?

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
20 Jan 13

Originally posted by apathist
So it really hurt your feelings that I don't believe in your god. Could she be any weaker?
What would make me really have to think things through is if you did believe in God. The fact that you don't believe is to be completely expected. Your disbelief didn't hurt anyone's feelings, so I hope that eases your conscience.

Australia

Moves
20 Jan 13

If this is the only existence we have do you not think it makes life and other people more precious?
Agreed. Other people are just as important as I am, or you are.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 Jan 13

Again,I agree with you on many points.I think that the development of an individual is an ongoing process which begins probably before birth. I have to trust in the abilities of others more expert than myself , but that trust is not absolute and experts are fallible.I also think that we behave because of societal constraints(Lord of the Flies) .Civilisation needs ...[text shortened]... this is the only existence we have do you not think it makes life and other people more precious?
"With reference to the soul ,this would be a problem to person of faith,but I personally do not think it exists."

What gives you a unique identity? Your temporal body? With what do you perceive external reality? Your temporal body? With what do you hope and dream? Your temporal body? With what do you experience anguish over the loss of a loved one? Your temporal body? With what do feel compassion and charity? Your temporal body? With what do you pray?

Australia

Moves
20 Jan 13

Off topic.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
20 Jan 13

[b]"With reference to the soul ,this would be a problem to person of faith,but I personally do not think it exists."

What gives you a unique identity? Your temporal body? With what do you perceive external reality? Your temporal body? With what do you hope and dream? Your temporal body? With what do you experience anguish over the loss of a loved ...[text shortened]... body? With what do feel compassion and charity? Your temporal body? With what do you pray?
.[/b]
I think it's okay to have faith.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 Jan 13

Originally posted by Kewpie
Off topic.
Knee-jerk rigidity enhance conversation?

Australia

Moves
20 Jan 13
1 edit

Knee-jerk rigidity enhance conversation?
Don't you like a an actual fact served up to you? Your posts in this thread are way off topic.