1. Wat?
    Moves
    17 Jan '13 15:39
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Just stand by and watch friends preparing to fry?
    I never saw anybody fried.

Got a youtube link?

-m. 😉
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    17 Jan '13 15:47
    Just stand by and watch friends preparing to fry?
    the french! Tell me you aren't salivating.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Jan '13 16:01
    Originally posted by mikelom

I never saw anybody fried.

Got a youtube link?

-m. 😉
    http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Hells_Truth/hell_in_the_scriptures.htm
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Jan '13 16:03
    Originally posted by apathist
    the french! Tell me you aren't salivating.
    Apath y.
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    17 Jan '13 17:38
    If you look at what happens on the world you would say that there seem to be outright good people doing a lot of good and bad people undoing that.

The answer could be that you have to define "fundamental natre" properly to make an assesment.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '13 18:151 edit
    Fundamentally speaking, are humans good or bad? It's a question that has repeatedly been asked throughout humanity. For thousands of years, philosophers have debated whether we have a basically good nature that is corrupted by society, or a basically bad nature that is kept in check by society. Psychology has uncovered some evidence which might give the old ...[text shortened]... and Milgram experiments.

This time it reveals something nice about human nature!! 🙂

-m.
    Good and bad are concepts created by humans so my guess would be we are fundamentally both.
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '13 18:292 edits
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Or, possibly, it's a keen insight into what is factually correct. By being taught that humans are not born "good," I am not any more or less controlled by anyone. You suggested that but for a few exceptions, children will always do what is "good," given the choice. Everything I've been taught, everything I've read, and everything I've seen with my own 2 e manipulating? These things on the other hand come completely natural to children.
    Those examples are learned behaviours and thus not valid to this discussion. You assert that children are naturally liars and whiners etc but supply no proof. The truth is that these are learned by the children from the environment around them.

We are discussing if we are born good not what we learn to be a few years down the road.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Jan '13 22:41
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    If you look at what happens on the world you would say that there seem to be outright good people doing a lot of good and bad people undoing that.

The answer could be that you have to define "fundamental natre" properly to make an assesment.
    "We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back
    to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive." (C. S. Lewis)
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    17 Jan '13 22:49
    "We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back
    to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive." (C. S. Lewis)
    “Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” (Oscar Wilde)
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Jan '13 23:08
    Mundane everyday rant.
  11. Wat?
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 00:44
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    “Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” (Oscar Wilde)
    That's actually a very insightful statement. Most of us learn from our elders, or our elders stories and information; some I'm glad I never had the intimate encounter with of having to learn from ↑ .

What we are taught as youngsters is assumed knowledge from those around us, most of who have failed in many areas.

Rather simple, really.

Personally, I believe humans are born with traits of any kind, but may be genetically set to follow in traited areas of ancestry.

-m.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 00:49
    That's actually a very insightful statement. Most of us learn from our elders, or our elders stories and information; some I'm glad I never had the intimate encounter with of having to learn from ↑ .

What we are taught as youngsters is assumed knowledge from those around us, most of who have failed in many areas.

Rather simple, really.

Persona ...[text shortened]... traits of any kind, but may be genetically set to follow in traited areas of ancestry.

-m.
    There are People who do not have a good bone in their entire body.

Some of them may be members of RHP!
  13. Wat?
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 01:02
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    There are People who do not have a good bone in their entire body.

Some of them may be members of RHP!
    Can you lead me to some names? 😀

-m.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 01:041 edit
    Can you lead me to some names? 😀

-m.
    I am betting you KNOW them.

They know who they are if they are here. 😉

I wouldn't think of leading you down the wrong garden path. 😛
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 01:04
    Personally, I believe humans are born with traits of any kind, but may be genetically set to follow in traited areas of ancestry.

-m.
    I agree with your first statement, humans aren't perfect and we're all a product of our environment and upbringing, which also isn't perfect.

I'm sure you meant to say "born without traits of any kind". I feel that a significant part of personality must be genetically derived. That's only my opinion, based on the differences I've seen between twins.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree