1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 18:25
    Originally posted by Seitse
    The times being... Tatcherism, a decrepit queen, and an unelected upper house?

LOL

You keep demonstrating that the stats were correct πŸ™‚
    Ooh you got me reeeeel good with those ones Cletus.
  2. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 18:261 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Farage has always been a non entity and will soon realize (to his dismay) that his fizz no longer has any bubbles.

The out vote was brave as a short term slump in the economy was to be expected. Scotland will settle down and will also look back to see the out vote as the right decision (though of course never admit it).

Boris is the man to help us navigate the rough seas ahead. (I'm resisting making a Churchill comparison).
    The out vote was brave as a short term slump in the economy was to be expected. Scotland will settle down and will also look back to see the out vote as the right decision (though of course never admit it).

That is clearly insane.

Boris is the man to help us navigate the rough seas ahead. (I'm resisting making a Churchill comparison)

That is clearly insane.

Farage has always been a non entity and will soon realize (to his dismay) that his fizz no longer has any bubbles.

That -- I sincerely hope -- is sane (but please define 'soon'...).
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 19:02
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Cletus.
    hahaha, good, good. let the dark side grow in you, padawan πŸ™‚
  4. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 19:02
    there is a phenomenon that i like to term, "fraternity mentality"...
    if a man sees that beer is being drunk, he too, will drink...
    if that man sees chairs being tossed off the frat house, he too, will hurl furniture until arrested...
    if that man sees a bonfire being lit under the broken furniture, he too, will dance naked in the firelight, until arrested...

momma called it, monkey see, monkey do...

all it takes for the snowball to gain speed rolling down the hill to become an avalanche is a push...

there is a fallout...
    there are consequences for all actions...
    and the reaction is gaining heat and nearly at an uncontrollable stage...

our world,
    our single flat planet,
    is about to burn...
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 19:071 edit
    http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/british-racism-post-brexit

YouTube : Yes, Minister

πŸ˜€
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 19:141 edit
    Aaaaand an account of the lies, with facts and explanations plus some
    diagrams for the... brilliant Brexiters --some of those lies contained in
    the OP, by the way.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36641390

P.S. And a bit more of economic crisis, courtesy of the chavs...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36636853
  7. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 21:323 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

Boris is the man to help us navigate the rough seas ahead. (I'm resisting making a Churchill comparison).
    Sorry, but though I dislike him, Farage now clearly is the most successful/important UK politician of recent decades.

It was Alex Salmond, but Farage took a party and agenda that was widely dismissed as a lunatic fringe, won a national election and forced a referendum which was won.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 22:53
    Originally posted by Seitse
    http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/british-racism-post-brexit

[youtubeYes, Minister]37iHSwA1SwE[/youtube]

πŸ˜€
    So you're arguing that the uk should be in the EU because of the racial from a BBC to comedy from the 1980s..is that right?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 23:003 edits
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Sorry, but though I dislike him, Farage now clearly is the most successful/important UK politician of recent decades.

It was Alex Salmond, but Farage took a party and agenda that was widely dismissed as a lunatic fringe, won a national election and forced a referendum which was won.
    No he didn't. He rode a wave of somewhat latent political unrest. Proof? In the last general election UKIP got 15% of the votes and one seat. In the referendum, 73%of the edible population voted and and 52% of those chose: leave. 15% of the vote looks pretty shabby when it's your one agenda item. N one want Farage.
    Farage is obsolete as he bloody well should be.
  10. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 04:212 edits
    No he didn't. He rode a wave of somewhat latent political unrest. Proof? In the last general election UKIP got 15% of the votes and one seat. In the referendum, 73%of thkme edible population voted and and 52% of those chose: leave. 15% of the vote looks pretty shabby when it's your one agenda item. N one want Farage.
    Farage is obsolete as he bloody well should be.
    15% is amazing for a single issue party, especially on our first pas the post system.

And the 52% wouldn't have had the chance to vote Leave without him.

Do you really think Cameron would have offered the referendum if UKIP had carried on polling the 1-2% it was before he took over?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 04:483 edits
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    15% is amazing for a single issue party, especially on our first pas the post system.

And the 52% wouldn't have had the chance to vote Leave without him.

Do you really think Cameron would have offered the referendum if UKIP had carried on polling the 1-2% it was before he took over?
    It's not the 15% that is the number in play here, it is the difference between the 15% and the 52%. Considering that 52% of the UK wants to leave the EU and that it is a highly motivating factor for voting, it is astonishing that UKIP didn't poll more in the last general election.

As for Cameron ~ here he is in 2009, before coming to power, officially campaigning for a referendum from him Westminster office. A referendum which ALL of the major parties promised in 2005. He gives his reasons why we should have had the referendum, and they sum up exactly why I voted to leave.

YouTube

The "remain" campaign made a fatal error in attempting to firstly scare the voting population into staying in, and secondly allowing the the campaign to turn into a racism vote. The former made them appear dishonest and the later divided the country in a way that will be difficult to repair.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 05:144 edits
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I don't think all the Brexiteers are racist, but I strongly suspect that 'maybe we will connect more with the Commonwealth' will turn out to be the white Commonwealth almost exclusively. They will find a way to keep out the 'savages'. And don't forget that EU migrants add four times as much to the British economy than those from anywhere else. ...[text shortened]... mpaign's protests over UKIP and Farage's fascistic propaganda were rather on the insincere side.
    So actually you do think leave voters are racist, but you can't find the fortitude to come out and say it, preferring instead to misrepresent your opponents by using words like "savages" in quotation marks as though someone actually said it. And you insinuate how leavers actually support far right opinion without providing a shread of evidence.

Your attitude is what will keep the UK divided.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 07:19
    I believe there are three main reasons why many Britons voted to leave.

1. British politicians decided to go into the 'EU thing' decades ago without polling the British public, and the British public have felt growing disenfranchisment about it ever since. That is an issue which has little to do with the EU per se (the issue could have been almost anything else--such as a massively expensive UK space programme to land a man on Saturn's moon, Titan, or to nationalize the universities or privatize the NHS); it is much more to do with the British political system (the so-called nanny state). Remember Maggie Thatcher's downfall? The poll tax. She thought she could just ram a new tax down the taxpayers' throats, and it cost her the prime ministership.

2. There is a clear demographic divide in Britain: London, NI, and Scotland voted to stay, non-London England voted to go. That is a specifically British issue, nothing to do with the EU per se. This shows a clear dissatisfaction in the English country-side with London-centric politics. Woe to a political system which is so out of touch with its constituents.

3. There is a wide-spread feeling in Britain that Britain is being controlled from abroad (often hypostatized as 'Brussels' ). I submit, however, that Britons have already long since accepted a level of government control and intrusion by their own government which the rest of Europe would find scary and intolerable. There are more surveillance cameras in Britain than anywhere else in the world, and the intelligence services in Britain are actively monitoring all telecommunications. Britain already has all the infrastructure in place to implement a police state, and there is no written constitution limiting the power of Parliament to take the last few steps (which, no doubt, will seem expedient when the time comes). This control-freak issue too is really a specifically British issue, mistakenly projected onto 'Brussels'. Britain thinks it will recover its lost sovereignty by exiting the EU. It won't; it didn't have any sovereignty left to recover anyway. Yeah, ok, it'll be able to refuse Syrian refugees at its border. So what. Britain will still have to abide by international laws and treaties regulating exports and imports, aviation and maritime procedures, it ratified the terms of the ICC and is bound to abide by them, and all the rest of it. Thing is, it will now have to negotiate or re-validate many of those items piecemeal, whereas as an EU member it could have continued to negotiate treaties and agreements en bloc.

It is going to be a stoney road Britain (or rather, non-London England) has chosen to go down, and I expect the Scots will be the first to jump ship and hold a new referendum on Scottish independence.
  14. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 07:23
    So you're arguing that the uk should be in the EU because of the racial from a BBC to comedy from the 1980s..is that right?
    Yet another reaction from you which validates the vote demographics on education, age and disenfranchisement πŸ™‚
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 07:55
    For a long time I have been a supporter of the Euro concept, anything which may improve dealings between different populations seemed like a good idea after two big wars. But then, when the Eurozone became a reality, I saw a whole lot of negatives, the most significant being that it enabled political apparatchiks to keep democracy under restraint. I was occasionally reminded of George Orwell.

I suspect I'd have voted "stay" rather than "leave", but now that "leave" is actually here I can see many positives.

Australia is due to elect a new government in a week or so, and since Brexit the political tone has completely changed. The complacent "they'll vote for us if we just keep repeating a mantra or two for the rednecks" has given way to "if we do some of the things the voters want they may vote for us".

Perhaps this big change is a preview of a new democracy. I certainly hope it is.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree