1. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jun '16 15:241 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Robbie would make a credible Golum.
    Golum is a Hindi/Urdu/Persian word for slave, for example Ghulam Ali, a famous Pakistani folk singer. A free spirited flower child like me must be the furthest thing from a slave you can imagine
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jun '16 15:25
    Originally posted by moonbus
    My precious, (....dwool dwool...)
    LOL, quality dwool is always appreciated 😀
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jun '16 15:26
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Good grief; it's like listening to Lord of the Rings.
    and your original and brilliant idea is. . . . . .
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Jun '16 15:28
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie

A free spirited flower child like me must be the furthest thing from a slave you can imagine.
    A liberated doughnut?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jun '16 15:28
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    That might just count against you a tad in any application to rejoin the EU.

But with a little help from Goldman Sachs you should be able to work your way round this.
    Ahhh Goldman Sachs, they paid Mrs Clinton heavy mulla so that she would give speeches telling them that she wasn't gonna real them in.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jun '16 15:292 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    A liberated doughnut?
    A flower child! what has a flower child got to do with doughnuts? Plus a doughnut is destined to get scoffed, a flower child will never be eaten. Except maybe by dragons.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '16 15:39
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    [b]Did anyone think THAT one through before this bombshell dropped?

Yes. Sturgeon's reluctance to commit to a referendum shows it is no certainty it would be won, especially if Scotland must take on the Euro.

Would you care if there was no EU in 30 years, everyone going their own way and back to city states like 400 years ago?

Yes. ...[text shortened]... questions of reform in a way they never have before, and would not have done but for us leaving.[/b]
    Agreed.
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    29 Jun '16 15:442 edits
    Thank you for your acknowledgement - I appreciate it.

Are you defining Fargue's success as influencing Cameron to call a referendum? I'm not clear why you describe Fargue as "now (post Brexit) clearly is the most successful/important UK politician of recent decades."

I think you need to define this and demonstrate efficacy of your chosen metrics, b ...[text shortened]... ink he will become exemplary of how "not" to do it; within the perspective on political success.
    I'm not clear why you describe Fargue as "now (post Brexit) clearly is the most successful/important UK politician of recent decades."

Because I expressed myself clumsily. I did not mean say that he has 'now' become more important post Brexit (the opposite must be true). I meant 'now' as in I can now identify him as this important/successful for what he did.

Up till the referendum, his importance and success was doubtful. 'Now' it can be recognised (though we may differ on the extent). My bad.

I think my view is that I am identifying success and importance by answering the following questions:

1 How important was what he was trying to achieve?

2 How difficult was it to achieve?

3 Did he achieve it?

4 How key was he to achieving it?

I wouldn't really factor in whether he achieved what he did in the right way, or was anything other than an odious little prick. I was not looking to judge greatness, just impact and the recognition of the obstacles he faced.

And, of course, I was being provocative.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 00:021 edit
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    How can it be right for the UK when it is all but guaranteed to cause the breakup of the UK? We are anything but united now, and moreover heading towards being ruled by a buffoonish prime minister who had little compunction about conspiring to aid the beating up of a journalist by one of his Bullingdon Club mates. Banks are already preparing to move ...[text shortened]... n of abating, no matter what new colours of bullshyte froth forth from Boris's mendacious mouth.
    Try not to be swayed by every whim of the reactionary media.

Barclays decide not to panic after all:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/29/barclays-is-out-of-crisis-mode-as-brexit-worries-subside/

Global stock markets rally as Brexit fears abate:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36660133
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 00:131 edit
    Markets logic:

Something unexpected happens

Oh god, look at that. That's going to mean we will all be poor. Like the politicians.

Let's go in the other direction really fast to avoid it...OK

Actually it hasn't even happened yet and we have no idea what the outcome could look like anyway.

Ok phew. not sure if you noticed but I was pooping in my pantyhose there for a moment.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 15:331 edit
    Here is an interesting look back on the EEC debate at the BBC from yesteryear, with Willie Whitlaw, Jim Prior and Enoch Powell, during the period, and actually during a live referendum, when the British people ignored Powel's warnings and went in anyway.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H4OWslOroaw
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 15:452 edits
    One more on the 1975 referendum outcome.

Enoch Powell prophesying the betrayal of UK democracy and the devolution of parliamentary self-governance to the EU even though the government promised that this would not happen. Do have a listen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Alld4Og2sTE

By the way, it is my prophecy, and has always been my belief, that Brexit will be fudged. The powers that have driven the growth of this corrupt corporate entity that is the modern EU, will not permit the vote of the British people to be implemented. You heard it here first.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 15:46
    One more on the 1975 referendum outcome.

Enoch Powell prophesying the betrayal of UK democracy and the devolution of parliamentary self-governance to the EU even though the government promised that this would not happen. Do have a listen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Alld4Og2sTE

By the way, it is my prophecy, and has always been my belief, tha ...[text shortened]... rn EU will not permit the vote of the British people to be implemented. You heard it here first.
    Can you cite a single tangible benefit from leaving the E.U.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 15:492 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Can you cite a single tangible benefit from leaving the E.U.
    I will answer that question if you, a Jehovah's Witness, can tell me wether you are for or against Brexit
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 16:01
    I will answer that question if you, a Jehovah's Witness, can tell me wether you are for or against Brexit
    I am neither for it or against it, I merely want to understand it.

So leaving the E.U. has benefited the UK because. . . .

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree