1. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 01:58
    So, as an American, I am somewhat confused about how you describe where you live.

Two cities? Two towns?
  2. The World
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 04:03
    Originally posted by @chaney3
    So, as an American, I am somewhat confused about how you describe where you live.

Two cities? Two towns?
    Perhaps the question is slightly lost in translation, but why do you say "two cities/two towns"?

I live in a house, in a small town in the north west of England.

Town vs city normally depends on whether there is a cathedral within it, and there aren't a huge number in England.
  3. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 04:46

Two cities? Two towns?
    God you're a dumb redneck septic. Don't they have education where you come from sonny.

Google it dumbo.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 07:54

Two cities? Two towns?
    How do you describe where you live?
    I can't think it is that different!
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 09:572 edits
    There is the United Kingdom which comprises of four main provinces, Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales. Scotland is the best and England the most populated. Within these provinces there are counties, used for purposes of administration. Within these counties there are boroughs. Within these boroughs there are cities, towns and villages. Within these city towns and villages there are Geo divisions, like North London, Glasgow West etc Within these Geo divisions there are streets. Even these streets have different names depending on their physical style, like Avenue, Cul-de-sac, Terrace etc Within the streets are the houses, this is where the people live.
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 10:03
    Originally posted by @robbie-carrobie
    There is the United Kingdom which comprises of four main provinces, Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales. Scotland is the best and England the most populated. Within these provinces there are counties, used for purposes of administration. Within these counties there are boroughs. Within these boroughs there are cities, towns and villages. ...[text shortened]... enue, Cul-de-sac, Terrace etc Within the streets are the houses, this is where the people live.
    Also Crescent which I believe was a bit confusing in Agatha Christie's 'The Clocks'.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 10:36

Two cities? Two towns?
    You're always confused chaney3.
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 11:551 edit
    The Times, no less, was duped into publishing a letter from a:

Michael Stichs
    Cockwell Inn
    Tillett
    Wilts

('Wilts' being the standard abbreviation for Wiltshire, one of the UK's counties.)
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 12:17
    Originally posted by @torunn
    Also Crescent which I believe was a bit confusing in Agatha Christie's 'The Clocks'.
    crescent yes! I believe it named so because of its shape like that of a crescent moon, but I could be wrong.
  10. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 12:24
    crescent yes! I believe it named so because of its shape like that of a crescent moon, but I could be wrong.
    I think so too, and in Agatha's book, there was some confusion to find a specific entrance door. Even Squares (such as Leinster Square where I lived for a while) could be confusing to people unfamiliar with the area.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 12:241 edit
    I believe there are also some Kingdoms, like the Kingdom of Fife, not sure if the Cornish still consider themselves a separate Kingdom. I think they used to.
  12. The World
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 12:30
    I believe there are also some Kingdoms, like the Kingdom of Fife, not sure if the Cornish still consider themselves a separate Kingdom. I think they used to.
    Aye, the Cornish certainly seem to wish to separate from the rest of the UK. Not sure if they are using Trump's wall building team...
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 14:16
    Or possibly just because it is a crescent.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 14:19
    Originally posted by @paul-a-roberts
    Aye, the Cornish certainly seem to wish to separate from the rest of the UK. Not sure if they are using Trump's wall building team...
    I suspect that most people who live in Cornwall are not Cornish bred.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 19:00
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I suspect that most people who live in Cornwall are not Cornish bred.
    Why is it difficult for Londoners to pronounce th, Noff London, Saff London, face bovered!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree