From Colchester to Sulawesi

From Colchester to Sulawesi

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
16 Jun 21

@divegeester said
Three red thumbs haha how disempowered do you feel?
You could now be asked the same question....LOL....Too funny!

-VR

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
16 Jun 21

@divegeester said
FMF, the situation you are now in is a difficult one….Or is it?

Let’s work this through with some logic:
- a person has thumbed down every post in this thread
- or multiple people have thumbed down one, or more posts each
- but YOU don't know who it is, and you don’t know why they have thumbed you down
- so in thumbing down without explanation, secretly, anonymous ...[text shortened]... the other hand it could be online hate in one hand and hand down vinegar-strokes pants in the other.
It would make an interesting topic for a thread. Why do you red thumb (or green thumb a post). Except that people would lie.
It amuses me that even my most innocuous posts get thumbed down when the forum clown wakes up and logs on.
As someone tweeted to me once 'this is the interweb baby, anything goes.'
Unfortunately that succinctly sums it up.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
16 Jun 21
4 edits

@the-gravedigger said
It would make an interesting topic for a thread. Why do you red thumb (or green thumb a post). Except that people would lie.
It amuses me that even my most innocuous posts get thumbed down when the forum clown wakes up and logs on.
As someone tweeted to me once 'this is the interweb baby, anything goes.'
Unfortunately that succinctly sums it up.
Are you calling yourself an internet baby?

Don't be so hard on yourself, soft maybe, but I wouldn't say you're a baby.

Although you probably couldn't throw anyone out if your own life depended on it.

Throwing little post shots doesn't make you A MAN!!! 😛 😉

-VR

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
16 Jun 21

@very-rusty said
Are you calling yourself an internet baby?

-VR
I don't send tweets to myself.
Try to keep up.
We can only judge people by their behaviour on here.
I have never gone crying to the moderator over a post and never will.
If it upsets me I will take it up with the poster.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
16 Jun 21
2 edits

@the-gravedigger said
I don't send tweets to myself.
Try to keep up.
We can only judge people by their behaviour on here.
I have never gone crying to the moderator over a post and never will.
If it upsets me I will take it up with the poster.
That is what you say, I am sure you've alerted some of my posts because you rarely take anything up with me.

You throw pot shots at me talking to others is about as close as you usually come.

If you judge people by their persona on here, you aren't the brightest bulb in the room.

-VR

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
16 Jun 21

@very-rusty said
That is what you say, I am sure you've alerted some of my posts because you rarely take anything up with me.

-VR
None of your posts have upset me. Amuse, yes.
I have never seen any of your posts alerted.
Which ones do you think I alerted ?

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
16 Jun 21
1 edit

@the-gravedigger said
None of your posts have upset me. Amuse, yes.
I have never seen any of your posts alerted.
Which ones do you think I alerted ?
Hey if you are going to deny alerting them then you are going to stand by that, no need for me to suggest any of the ones I believe you may have alerted is there?

Now my posts amuse you, wish you could make up your mind! That is what they are intended to do.

-VR

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
16 Jun 21

@very-rusty said
Hey if you are going to deny alerting them then you are going to stand by that, no need for me to suggest any of the ones I believe you may have alerted is there?

-VR
You made an accusation about me and I asked you about it.
I genuinely cannot recall ever seeing your posts alerted.
You are quick to inform others about forum guidelines and from what I have seen you stick to them.
My thoughts are if a post is offensive I want it to stay around as long as possible. So the poster is seen by all to be a chump. I don't want it to disappear.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
16 Jun 21

@the-gravedigger said
You made an accusation about me and I asked you about it.
I genuinely cannot recall ever seeing your posts alerted.
You are quick to inform others about forum guidelines and from what I have seen you stick to them.
My thoughts are if a post is offensive I want it to stay around as long as possible. So the poster is seen by all to be a chump. I don't want it to disappear.
I should maybe think about alerting a little more before making an alert.

You don't watch close enough if you have never seen any of my posts alerted, because there have been many. Some are taken down some are left up, probably more left up then taken out.

You do have a good way of looking it, I have to give you that one, better to just leave the post up. In some cases though others will alert it anyways as happened in the EURO 2020 thread.

-VR

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
16 Jun 21

@very-rusty said
I should maybe think about alerting a little more before making an alert.

You don't watch close enough if you have never seen any of my posts alerted, because there have been many. Some are taken down some are left up, probably more left up then taken out.

You do have a good way of looking it, I have to give you that one, better to just leave the post up. In some cases though others will alert it anyways as happened in the EURO 2020 thread.

-VR
Ok, fair enough.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
16 Jun 21
1 edit

@the-gravedigger said
Ok, fair enough.
You have an excellent chess rating have you played chess in clubs and have a true OTB rating?

Someone is bound to say take to the chess forum, but apparently it doesn't matter where one posts now as the precedent has been made with EURO 2020 thread.

-VR

Moves
16 Jun 21
1 edit

@very-rusty said
You have an excellent chess rating have you played chess in clubs and have a true OTB rating?

Someone is bound to say take to the chess forum, but apparently it doesn't matter where one posts now as the precedent has been made with EURO 2020 thread.

-VR
*cough*

Look at his "opponent average rating"

*cough*

🙄 He beats up on bums like me.

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
16 Jun 21

@very-rusty said

-VR
Yes I play OTB for a club but it has all been stopped since early last year due to covid.
Hoping to getting back to playing in September when the league should start again.
My official rating is 1793.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
16 Jun 21
1 edit

@the-gravedigger said
Yes I play OTB for a club but it has all been stopped since early last year due to covid.
Hoping to getting back to playing in September when the league should start again.
My official rating is 1793.
Nice rating, so odds are you have won against some 2000 plus players!

Highest I was able to get in OTB chess was 1667 or 1669 it has been a long time and a couple points in that range doesn't matter much one way or the other.

I haven't played Club Chess in years now. The guy I showed how the pieces moved a few openings now has a rating in the high 1700's and is the President of the Nova Scotia Chess Association. He is a journalist friend of mine, we remained friends to this day from the early 1990's.

You are at a whole different level for sure, I am sure you can see many moves ahead and branches, (The different ways it could go). So as you know I was never that good, but do love the game.

-VR

Moves
16 Jun 21

@fmf said
Bill's Big Bag of Onions S05 E24

More Onion microfictions sprouting amongst eleven gorgeous bits of music. And we also have episode 24 [of 26] of Indonesia Phil's "From Colchester to Sulawesi".

Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/episode/667sUFSF73KOchvaMsLwzv?si=CXBOh6ZhTzi04QZhWzbGeQ&dl_branch=1

Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/BillsBigBagOfOnions/bills-big-bag-of-onions-s05-e24-featuring-from-colchester-to-sulawesi-episode-24/
Another excellent episode and program, well done.