From Colchester to Sulawesi

From Colchester to Sulawesi

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
17 Jun 21

@very-musty said

Imagine the writing contest that this website has but we never get to know who wrote what...
I don't mean to unnerve you, but I've been writing your posts for the past few days.

IP

Moves
17 Jun 21

@very-musty said
Maybe you should ask them?

Real names should be avoided but if you had a story on YOUR program that was done by someone here then you would get more listeners because that way we can actually relate and connect to the presentation.

If not...

It's just another random and vague podcast...
The show has nothing to do with RHP, except in so far as this is how some of us have first made connections with one another, and FMF has invited other members of RHP to listen to the show, which some of us here do. I for example am only 'Indonesia Phil' on this website, although unusually I do actually use my real first name, so working out who I am on the show isn't rocket science, and I have no problem with people knowing who I am.
What the show has done has created and deepened friendships between certain of us here at RHP, and others who have perhaps never played chess in their lives. It's a team effort, which all of us involved thoroughly enjoy doing. The show stands alone, and whether people who listen to it think that it's good, bad or indifferent is entirely subjective, but it's there for anyone who wants to listen.

F

Moves
17 Jun 21

@indonesia-phil said
What the show has done has created and deepened friendships between certain of us here at RHP, and others who have perhaps never played chess in their lives. It's a team effort, which all of us involved thoroughly enjoy doing.
There's a bit of a Ready Break glow around the gang at the moment as we have two series of 26 editions each under our belts and a third series beckons a bit later in the year after we air a few highlights reels [which we selection collectively] and repeat a few shows, like the Box 39 documentary about the making of the show, the Series 4 Retrospective, and maybe the Valentine's Day-themed show.

F

Moves
17 Jun 21

@kevin-eleven said
Are transcripts available? Not everyone likes to sit and listen to audiobooks or whatever.
No. There is no onus on you to listen to the show. Spend your time as you see fit.

F

Moves
17 Jun 21

@very-musty said
That's like watching a chess game and not being told who is playing.
I suggest, then, that you don't listen to it.

Moves
17 Jun 21

@indonesia-phil said
The show has nothing to do with RHP, except in so far as this is how some of us have first made connections with one another, and FMF has invited other members of RHP to listen to the show, which some of us here do. I for example am only 'Indonesia Phil' on this website, although unusually I do actually use my real first name, so working out who I am on the show isn't ...[text shortened]... it's good, bad or indifferent is entirely subjective, but it's there for anyone who wants to listen.
Phil, I think the only problem some people might have with the show is that a small number (two) of the people involved have seemed to spend a lot of time on RHP needling and harassing other RHP members.

Maybe this is a British thing that doesn't translate well to other countries, or maybe they were self-important but insecure pricks who felt driven to go around deflating other people to put themselves at ease.

But if this activity I have described has abated, then let us let bygones be bygones.

Moves
17 Jun 21

@fmf said
No. There is no onus on you to listen to the show. Spend your time as you see fit.
Is that because transcripts might require correct attribution for each of the contributions?

F

Moves
17 Jun 21

@kevin-eleven said
Maybe this is a British thing that doesn't translate well to other countries, or maybe they were self-important but insecure pricks who felt driven to go around deflating other people to put themselves at ease.
It doesn't matter to me what reasons people have for thumbing down links to the show or for not listening to it.

F

Moves
17 Jun 21
1 edit

@kevin-eleven said
Is that because transcripts might require correct attribution for each of the contributions?
The programme is an audio file broadcast live and available at places like Spotify. There are countless dozens of emails, Word files and texts containing onions. But there are no transcripts available.

F

Moves
17 Jun 21

@indonesia-phil said
I for example am only 'Indonesia Phil' on this website, although unusually I do actually use my real first name, so working out who I am on the show isn't rocket science, and I have no problem with people knowing who I am.
You, of course, have written the last 15 minutes of every show in this series with your non-fictionalized autobiographical story of moving from Britain to Indonesia, and so your name is no mystery.

F

Moves
17 Jun 21

@indonesia-phil said
The show has nothing to do with RHP, except in so far as this is how some of us have first made connections with one another, and FMF has invited other members of RHP to listen to the show, which some of us here do.
I think there are seven RHP members currently involved [in Series 5] ~ to various degrees ~ and Ghost of a Duke [an 8th RHP'er] contributed to Series 4.

IP

Moves
17 Jun 21

@kevin-eleven said
No, it's because the show isn't just about the words, it's also about the music, oration, presentation and such. The words are important, of course, but there's a lot more to it than that.

Moves
17 Jun 21

@fmf said
I think there are seven RHP members currently involved [in Series 5] ~ to various degrees ~ and Ghost of a Duke [an 8th RHP'er] contributed to Series 4.
I do appreciate that you haven't involved Simon Cowell.

Moves
17 Jun 21

@kevin-eleven said
I don't mean to unnerve you, but I've been writing your posts for the past few days.
I knew it!!

And people call me paranoid!!

Ha! I knew something was up. 🤔

Moves
17 Jun 21

@indonesia-phil said
No, it's because the show isn't just about the words, it's also about the music, oration, presentation and such. The words are important, of course, but there's a lot more to it than that.
Thank you, Phil -- that I do get re: the whole composition.