1. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 16:39
    @divegeester said
    Well you are generally right of course, but you are also conflating different issues; Schofield doesn’t have a gender identification problem and no one is thinking of him as being “different”.

I honestly feel that this public weeping and handwringing from a person who is pretty much unilaterally liked and respected by the public and has the full support of his family i ...[text shortened]... g other less fortunate people with genuine issues and who don’t have the life structure that he has.
    If I were a man in the same situation as him I’d be thinking ‘God, there IS a way out of this’ and I’d get out.

I remember a similar moment when on a quiet night shift an older woman told me about how she made the decision to divorce her husband because of a miserable, stressful marriage. It planted the seed that I could have a happier life and I now do.
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 16:43
    @drewnogal said
    If I were a man in the same situation as him I’d be thinking ‘God, there IS a way out of this’ and I’d get out.

I remember a similar moment when on a quiet night shift an older woman told me about how she made the decision to divorce her husband because of a miserable, stressful marriage. It planted the seed that I could have a happier life and I now do.
    It's true Drew - we have to live an honest life, at least to ourselves. That can be a giant step for somebody who normally hesitate to disappoint friends or family.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 16:52
    @drewnogal said

I think he has a happy relationship from a fully supportive wife and family.
  4. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 17:03
    @divegeester said
    You didn’t but I thought that was implied in you challenging me in saying it isn’t an issue and no one should be interested. I’m just asking you if it is an issue or not. You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.
    Jeez!

'Nobody cares and no one who has a life is interested. Just be yourself and stop being pink diva. Jeez.'

That was quoting your OP. The funny comma like things are a clue.

And this was my ,I think, rather witty answer -

'Except dippy divvy who cares enough to start a thread on a chess site forum. Jeez'
    '
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 17:28

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 17:29
    @biffo-konker said
    'Except dippy divvy who cares enough to start a thread on achess site forum. Jeez'
    I am aware that you were trying to be seen as being witty, but thanks for pointing it out anyway.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 17:33
    @biffo-konker said
    Jeez!

'Nobody cares and no one who has a life is interested. Just be yourself and stop being pink diva. Jeez.'

That was quoting your OP. The funny comma like things are a clue.

'Except dippy divvy who cares enough to start a thread on a chess site forum. Jeez'
    '
    I think what you are trying to say is that YOU don't care.

You can not speak for everyone in the thread or on this site!

-VR
  8. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 18:02
    @divegeester said
    I think he has a happy relationship from a fully supportive wife and family.
    He does seem to but I was thinking more about ‘other men’, who may have found his coming out on TV helpful.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 18:201 edit
    @drewnogal said
    He does seem to but I was thinking more about ‘other men’, who may have found his coming out on TV helpful.
    I don’t know, but my feeling is that people who feel marginalised need the people they identify with to show courage through strength and leadership and hope, not break down with a box of Kleenex. This idea that you’re somehow strong if you sob on TV is pathetic, especially when one is as privileged and well supported as Mr Schofield.
    Society is mixed up.

Edit: if I knew the guy I’d still put my arm around his shoulders and give him a hug and be supportive, but I’d also encourage him to show strength.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 18:293 edits
    @divegeester said
    I’m not convinced that homosexual people need to “come out” at all, not anymore. We are a liberated a largely tolerant society and I think him weeping and telling everyone how brave he is, is disingenuous and unnecessary in contemporary UK society. Furthermore as drewnogal highlights, he has the full support of his family.
    Sure, he can be "brave" because he now does as he pleases as he watches his family go to hell in a handbasket.

CNN will probably nominate him man of the year.

I'll go out on a limb here and assert that "brave" is maybe not the proper term to use here.
  11. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 18:34
    @very-rusty said
    I think what you are trying to say is that YOU don't care.

You can not speak for everyone in the thread or on this site!

-VR
    Who are you talking to?
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 18:46
    @biffo-konker said
    Who are you talking to?
    To the person I quoted!

-VR
  13. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 18:50
    @divegeester said
    I don’t know, but my feeling is that people who feel marginalised need the people they identify with to show courage through strength and leadership and hope, not break down with a box of Kleenex. This idea that you’re somehow strong if you sob on TV is pathetic, especially when one is as privileged and well supported as Mr Schofield.
    Society is mixed up.

Edit: if I ...[text shortened]... und his shoulders and give him a hug and be supportive, but I’d also encourage him to show strength.
    Bet you’d get the Kleenex out if it got you a big hug from Holly 😘
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 18:56
    @drewnogal said
    Bet you’d get the Kleenex out if it got you a big hug from Holly 😘
    Lol, who is Holly?
  15. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 19:29
    @very-rusty said
    To the person I quoted!

-VR
    I see. Another person who has reading difficulties.
    Lets split the post into simple parts.

1. 'Nobody cares and no one who has a life is interested. Just be yourself and stop being pink diva. Jeez.'

That is a direct quote from the OP from divvegeester

2. 'Except dippy divvy who cares enough to start a thread on a chess site forum. Jeez'

That is a direct quote from my reply to divvy.

From the above it is quite clear that you are talking to the wrong person as I have never said that I don't care and was not speaking for everyone in this thread as accused.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree