1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Feb '20 17:52
    @indonesia-phil said
    Boris is no idiot, far from it. I wouldn't vote for him in a month of Sundays, but he is where he is because of the lack of any credible alternative. There are currently certain political parallels between the UK and the US, bad presidential/prime ministerial haircuts being but one of them. The right is rising, it's part of a cycle which has to run its' course, the cen ...[text shortened]... on, and people will always look for someone to blame, the EU being a recent and significant example.
    I don't think there is much 'malcontent in the UK currently.' I think for the first time in a long time people don't feel bogged down in a quagmire and that at last we are getting on with things rather than going round in circles.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Feb '20 18:54
    @indonesia-phil said
    There is much malcontent in the UK currently
    No there isn’t!

You should come back more often instead of imagining what you think is going on.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Feb '20 19:05
    @divegeester said
    You should come back more often instead of imagining what you think is going on.
    But it's OK to lecture on NZ immigration law even though you have never been.

Hypocrite.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Feb '20 19:071 edit
    @wolfgang59 said

Hypocrite.
    Oh hi wolfie, you seem to be instantly upset with me again.

Apologies for that.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Feb '20 19:111 edit
    @wolfgang59 said

Hypocrite.
    Wasn't aware I lectured on NZ immigration law, although I do like you remind you (frequently) that you left your alleged working class roots to live on the other side of the world in a wealthy desirable go-to country where you paid (yes you did) to get in, parked up with your house servants living off of your wealthy wife behind one of the tightest immigration controls in the world. And from where you throw rocks at everyone else.

Hypocrisy indeed.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Feb '20 22:34
    @divegeester said
    Wasn't aware I lectured on NZ immigration law,
    You've forgotten telling me how my daughters were not NZ citizens?
    In fact, insisting they were not!
    How convenient.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 09:45
    @wolfgang59 said
    You've forgotten telling me how my daughters were not NZ citizens?
    In fact, insisting they were not!
    How convenient.
    There’s no mileage in it 😉
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 10:13
    @divegeester said
    No there isn’t!

I was back twice last year for a total of several weeks, long enough. Anyway looking at something from a distance can give a different perspective.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 11:131 edit
    @indonesia-phil said
    I was back twice last year for a total of several weeks, long enough. Anyway looking at something from a distance can give a different perspective.
    Well I suppose you’ve got about 180 days to play with before you become tax liable so several weeks is doable in any year. What malcontent did you spot while you were dining out in Westminster?
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    18 Feb '20 21:54
    @divegeester said
    Well I suppose you’ve got about 180 days to play with before you become tax liable so several weeks is doable in any year. What malcontent did you spot while you were dining out in Westminster?
    There's a bit of a limited choice for vegetarians in the Peer's dining room, so life can be tough, you know, but we get by somehow.

You and I disagree about stuff, you know, but what the hell, it ain't worth falling out over, so salutations to you, and may your days be contented.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    19 Feb '20 01:09
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I don't think there is much 'malcontent in the UK currently.' I think for the first time in a long time people don't feel bogged down in a quagmire and that at last we are getting on with things rather than going round in circles.
    I think that the Neasden anti getting - on - with - things Residents Association, of which I am an associate member (and for which I pay my £14.75 annual membership fee) would disagree with you. In my opinion the Neasden Popular Front for Doing Absolutely Nothing is too radical an organization to garner my support.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Feb '20 07:59
    @indonesia-phil said
    There's a bit of a limited choice for vegetarians in the Peer's dining room, so life can be tough, you know, but we get by somehow.

You and I disagree about stuff, you know, but what the hell, it ain't worth falling out over, so salutations to you, and may your days be contented.
    Hat tip.
  13. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    19 Feb '20 08:59
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    It is a joy that Brexit is over, but I am not sure we have seen the implications yet. My sister just got made redundant as the Dutch company she was working for is closing down its English section. Interestingly not its Glasgow based section (so possibly waiting to see if an independent Scotland rejoins Europe?)

Going to the country with a referendum when there is no plan in place as to how you will action the two possible outcomes has to be wrong in most peoples eyes whichever way they voted. Put the plans in place first so they can be actioned swiftly and people can also see what they are actually voting for. Personally I think Cameron just arrogantly presumed he knew which way the country would move so made no plan B! At the time a lot of people talked about feeling uncertain which way to vote and ill informed for the choice. Afterwards people became much more certain they had always believed in what they voted for after rehearsing their developing arguments over and over due to a deep sense of grievance and division (either I won but nobody is letting me have my prize or I lost but only because nobody really knew what exactly they were voting for).
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Feb '20 10:12
    @petewxyz said
    It is a joy that Brexit is over, but I am not sure we have seen the implications yet. My sister just got made redundant as the Dutch company she was working for is closing down its English section. Interestingly not its Glasgow based section (so possibly waiting to see if an independent Scotland rejoins Europe?)

Going to the country with a referendum when there is no plan ...[text shortened]... g me have my prize or I lost but only because nobody really knew what exactly they were voting for).
    Cameron did indeed miscalculate in calling the referendum. In the end it cost him his job.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Feb '20 11:30
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Cameron did indeed miscalculate in calling the referendum. In the end it cost him his job.
    The 3 stooges cameron/May/Boris.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree