1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Feb '20 12:36
    @divegeester said
    Blimey, looks like there’s a big internet row over this topic!

I guess I’m not alone in finding his way of handling it to be inappropriate and also plenty of others think people holding my view of it are being mean.
    If it's any consolation, and I know it's not, I think your position is only slightly mean.

Whenever a person reveals something so deeply personal about themselves, I think it's only natural to want some reassurance, even instead of just apathy. In fact, I don't think apathy is an appropriate response to anyone close to you sharing something they think is consequential.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Feb '20 12:42
    @drewnogal said
    That’s nice to hear. Any boy who can score a goal or defend one will always have friends at school. The camaraderie of a team sport must be a boost to anyone's confidence.
    Being part of a team, even if a rather large team, like band, is an important part of the school experience. Achieving shared goals is important for the development of a feeling of community. It lifts us out of the me, me, me phase of life.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Feb '20 13:131 edit
    @suzianne said
    Being part of a team, even if a rather large team, like band, is an important part of the school experience. Achieving shared goals is important for the development of a feeling of community. It lifts us out of the me, me, me phase of life.
    I've played on hockey teams, baseball teams, football teams, soccer teams, basketball teams. All are team games and that is what the coaches put out there the team always come first. There is is not an 'i' in team and all that. Still everyone has their own personal goals and do keep track of their personal stats.

The thing is you have to play as a team and forget about those stats while playing what ever the sport is. Some players are more popular than other players because of what they can do in the individual sport. That is just the way the world works. If you stand out from the bunch that will be pointed out by others.

-VR
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '20 13:28
    @suzianne said
    If it's any consolation, and I know it's not, I think your position is only slightly mean.
    If I needed consolation this from you would be sufficient; that being said if I was of a fragile disposition then I wouldn't have started this thread, at least not the way I did.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '20 13:351 edit
    @suzianne said
    Whenever a person reveals something so deeply personal about themselves, I think it's only natural to want some reassurance, even instead of just apathy. In fact, I don't think apathy is an appropriate response to anyone close to you sharing something they think is consequential.
    I don't have anything against Schofield, in fact he's one of the lesser annoying showbiz flakes. I just don't think he is doing himself or the cause of the closeted gay community, any favours by sobbing all over the airways.

He had an opportunity to shift the paradigm, to stand up and be bold and forthright and full of hope and gratitude to his wonderful wife. To express his freedom of sexual orientation in a way which would engender hope and strength in others instead he has come across, apparently to many more people than just my grumpy old self, as being typically showbiz self-indulgent.

If that is a little mean, then so be it.
    It's just my perspective; I'm not condemning the man for his sexuality.
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    09 Feb '20 15:53
    Coming out if you are in the entertainment business, generally being more tolerant, would be easier than if you are in more macho-related professions such as the military, police and similar. I suppose, in show-biz, revealing the situation before media does, should be an advantage.
    I don't know much about Philip Schofield, I mean generally.
  7. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    09 Feb '20 16:33
    @torunn said
    Coming out if you are in the entertainment business, generally being more tolerant, would be easier than if you are in more macho-related professions such as the military, police and similar. I suppose, in show-biz, revealing the situation before media does, should be an advantage.
    I don't know much about Philip Schofield, I mean generally.
    I agree. Even though he 'came out' in a very public way the tabloids are still trying to salvage some kind of sensational story. This,I think, would have been much worse had he made his announcement in a less public way as divigeester is suggesting.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Feb '20 17:38
    @divegeester said
    I don't have anything against Schofield, in fact he's one of the lesser annoying showbiz flakes. I just don't think he is doing himself or the cause of the closeted gay community, any favours by sobbing all over the airways.

He had an opportunity to shift the paradigm, to stand up and be bold and forthright and full of hope and gratitude to his wonderful wife. To exp ...[text shortened]... ittle mean, then so be it.
    It's just my perspective; I'm not condemning the man for his sexuality.
    I've got to agree with you on this one Dive!

-VR
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '20 18:45
    @biffo-konker said
    @divegeester

'Nobody cares and no one who has a life is interested. Just be yourself and stop being pink diva. Jeez.'

Except dippy divvy who cares enough to start a thread on a chess site forum. Jeez
    You are telling Dive to be himself?

God help us all!!
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Feb '20 09:15
    @biffo-konker said
    I agree. Even though he 'came out' in a very public way the tabloids are still trying to salvage some kind of sensational story. This,I think, would have been much worse had he made his announcement in a less public way as divigeester is suggesting.
    I’m not suggesting he make his announcement in a less public way, not in the slightest.

For someone who immediately takes sensitive umbrage at slightest inference of being misrepresented, you show quite poor reading comprehension.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Feb '20 09:15
    @whodey said
    You are telling Dive to be himself?

God help us all!!
    God helps those who helps themselves Whodey.
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    14 Feb '20 12:46
    @suzianne said
    Your "current" president seems to have missed the elevator on that phase.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 Feb '20 13:041 edit
    @great-big-stees said
    Your "current" president seems to have missed the elevator on that phase.
    I think we start to run into probelms when we blame all people for one person. He did after all miss the popularity vote by a few million but knew where to get the votes, which made him more on his game than the other others. Now the problem will be finding someone who can actually win against him. I think he still has most of the voters who got him in to start with as strong as ever on his side. God Bless America and the rest of the world if he gets in for another term. Unfortunately the U.S.A. has become a laughing stock because of one man. Who says one person can't make a difference?

-VR
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '20 14:48
    @divegeester said
    God helps those who helps themselves Whodey.
    Tell that to the Good Samara tin Spanky.

Bible illiteracy is a terrible scourge within society.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 Feb '20 19:13
    @whodey said
    Tell that to the Good Samara tin Spanky.

Bible illiteracy is a terrible scourge within society.
    My Father may he rest in peace always told me always best to stay away from conversations that involve Politics or Religion. He sure was right about that one!

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree