Gay!

Gay!

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
08 Feb 20

@biffo-konker said
I see. Another person who has reading difficulties.
Lets split the post into simple parts.

1. 'Nobody cares and no one who has a life is interested. Just be yourself and stop being pink diva. Jeez.'

That is a direct quote from the OP from divvegeester

2. 'Except dippy divvy who cares enough to start a thread on a chess site forum. Jeez'

That is a direct ...[text shortened]... as I have never said that I don't care and was not speaking for everyone in this thread as accused.
Just get over yourself, the world doesn't revolve around you.

Don't take things to personal on here or you'll put yourself in an early grave.

-VR

Moves
08 Feb 20
1 edit

Just saw this incidentally on LinkedIn which alternatively articulates how I feel about the circus surrounding Philip Scholfield’s “announcement”.

“Just my opinion but if we always sensationalise someone coming out as gay then there is always going to be a stigma attached.
To me coming out shouldn't be a thing, It shouldn't even be news.”

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
08 Feb 20
3 edits

@divegeester said
Just saw this incidentally on LinkedIn which alternatively articulates how I feel about the circus surrounding Philip Scholfield’s “announcement”.

“Just my opinion but if we always sensationalise someone coming out as gay then there is always going to be a stigma attached.
To me coming out shouldn't be a thing, It shouldn't even be news. “
Agreed, such is the world we live in, but I've seen improvement since the 70's. Still was not accepted by many. Snide remarks made behind peoples backs.

In the 60's you didn't even let anyone know or you would be ridiculed, by everyone including your own family.

At least this is the way it was in my neck of the woods in Canada.

Calling someone Gay is considered to be an insult.

-VR

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
09 Feb 20
2 edits

@divegeester said
Lol, who is Holly?
Just his co-presenter 😀

I watched the clip. He looked very emotional. I suppose that now it’s out there the media won’t be able to surprise anyone with any further stories about it. Just like 31 year old Keegan Hirst, rugby league’s only openly gay professional who publicly came out after 4 years of marriage and 2 children. He said he’d been struggling with suicidal thoughts over hiding it for so long.

Then there’s rugby player Gareth Thomas who made his HIV diagnosis public after a journalist spoke to his parents about his condition before they had discussed it. He said he would "absolutely not" have made his diagnosis public if a tabloid had not made threats to publish it.

Moves
09 Feb 20

@drewnogal said
Just his co-presenter 😀

I watched the clip. He looked very emotional. I suppose that now it’s out there the media won’t be able to surprise anyone with any further stories about it. Just like 31 year old Keegan Hirst, rugby league’s only openly gay professional who publicly came out after 4 years of marriage and 2 children. He said he’d been struggling with suicidal thou ...[text shortened]... uld "absolutely not" have made his diagnosis public if a tabloid had not made threats to publish it.
I sympathise with the Rugby player absolutely, the culture in macho male sport would have created an internal trauma for the poor guy, but his situation is nothing like Schofield’s.

Not sure what the HIV story contributes to the Schofield episode as they are not correlated, but separately I sympathise with that person too.

What do you think of the quote from the person on LinkedIn?

Moves
09 Feb 20

Blimey, looks like there’s a big internet row over this topic!

I guess I’m not alone in finding his way of handling it to be inappropriate and also plenty of others think people holding my view of it are being mean.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
09 Feb 20

@divegeester said
Just saw this incidentally on LinkedIn

To me coming out shouldn't be a thing, It shouldn't even be news.”
Saying something "shouldn't even be news" on social media is rather self-defeating.

A bit like starting this thread.............................

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
09 Feb 20

@divegeester

Whether or how someone comes out is an individual thing. To me it’s no different to a person announcing an engagement, marriage or or pregnancy? The morning TV culture is pretty relaxed and the presenters often reveal personal things about themselves. If you’re a person who is in the habit of doing that then mentioning that you’ve secretly hidden that you’re homosexual would be just another thing. It’s the rest of us running with the story who are sensationalising it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Feb 20

@drewnogal said
@divegeester

Whether or how someone comes out is an individual thing. To me it’s no different to a person announcing an engagement, marriage or or pregnancy? The morning TV culture is pretty relaxed and the presenters often reveal personal things about themselves. If you’re a person who is in the habit of doing that then mentioning that you’ve secretly hidden that you’re ...[text shortened]... would be just another thing. It’s the rest of us running with the story who are sensationalising it.
I played Amature Football in my teens and early twenties along with my 2 older brothers in our team we had a brilliant center back who we all knew was as gay as a badger he was treat the same as the rest of the lads and I keep in touch with him , he can take aq joke and can be as camp as christmas but in reality you really wouldnt know he was gay.

Moves
09 Feb 20

@wolfgang59 said
Saying something "shouldn't even be news" on social media is rather self-defeating.

A bit like starting this thread
No it isn’t, it’s an insightful perspective on how society in general has changed to accept homosexuality. Someone telling people they are in fact gay, rather than heterosexual, shouldn’t make news.

This thread casts a juxtaposition. Not against Philip Schofield being gay - as that’s been obvious for years, but against this positioning of his sexuality as being something to parade and garner sympathy for rather than just simply be himself.

Moves
09 Feb 20

@drewnogal said
@divegeester
Whether or how someone comes out is an individual thing. To me it’s no different to a person announcing an engagement, marriage or or pregnancy?
Exactly my point.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
09 Feb 20

@badradger said
I played Amature Football in my teens and early twenties along with my 2 older brothers in our team we had a brilliant center back who we all knew was as gay as a badger he was treat the same as the rest of the lads and I keep in touch with him , he can take aq joke and can be as camp as christmas but in reality you really wouldnt know he was gay.
That’s nice to hear. Any boy who can score a goal or defend one will always have friends at school. The camaraderie of a team sport must be a boost to anyone's confidence.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Feb 20

@drewnogal said
That’s nice to hear. Any boy who can score a goal or defend one will always have friends at school. The camaraderie of a team sport must be a boost to anyone's confidence.
He was a big guy we nicknamed him Garth no one messed with him he could take care of his self

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Feb 20

@torunn said
It's true Drew - we have to live an honest life, at least to ourselves. That can be a giant step for somebody who normally hesitate to disappoint friends or family.
I think that those who are closest to a person are the least surprised by the news of a 'coming out'.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Feb 20

@badradger said
"As camp as Christmas".

Okay, that seems a charming phrase, but new to me, I've never heard that before, but it seems poetic.