1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 08:231 edit
    This is the place to come if you want to grumble about the new user interface.

{Not for serious reporting of actual difficulties though}

When I first started using the new interface (beta version) two months ago, I had some serious complaints. Now, all the ones that really mattered have been fixed, and all I have left is a small grumble about sorting by time remaining, which isn't good. Still, it's hardly a game-changer ...

Anyone else?
  2. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 08:56
    Originally posted by Kewpie

When I first started using the new interface (beta version) two months ago, I had some serious complaints. Now, all the ones that really mattered have been fixed, and all I have left is a small grumble about sorting by time remaining, which isn't good. Still, it's hardly a game-changer ...

Anyone else?
    No, I was quite happy to see that things weren't so different for me after all - I found the forums and my games so I'm pleased so far.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 08:56
    Originally posted by Kewpie

Anyone else?
    In fact I normally like sites well enough and can't really understand the "face-lifting" thingie.

But also I get used to the new appearance and then I groan inwardly if a new face lift is in the making.
  4. rebel city
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 09:06
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    In fact I normally like sites well enough and can't really understand the "face-lifting" thingie.

But also I get used to the new appearance and then I groan inwardly if a new face lift is in the making.
    Hi.. same here. My first reaction was negative, of dislike but quite quickly got used to the new looks and it is in fact much faster.
  5. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 09:16
    Originally posted by Tabitha Marshall
    Hi.. same here. My first reaction was negative, of dislike but quite quickly got used to the new looks and it is in fact much faster.
    I agree. The new format looks good and I suppose I will
    just have to get used to it. A lot of people don't like change.
    But if it works? Let's do it.
  6. Joined
    31 Jan '13
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 09:221 edit
    I must admit I don't like it at all. This is only my opinion but I not keen on bold, big, square boxes. I like curves and think the old version was more pleasing on the eye.

I don't know whether this could be done, Russ? Could one of the site variants, like chess at work, immortal game, etc. Stay in the old style?
  7. Joined
    19 Mar '10
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 09:35
    I absolutely HATE the new format. the graphics on the actual board page look worse and the raised pieces look really tacky now. Also, the link to go through to a game on 'my games' is now on the right of the screen so one has to scroll every time when using a phone.

stupid, stupid, stupid aesthetics. it really wasn't broke, no need to try fix it.
  8. Joined
    21 Sep '09
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 09:47
    Everything seems too crammed together now... which is funny considering it's still not even using 1/2 my screen space, lots of wasted left/right side space on widescreen.
  9. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 09:59
    Originally posted by TheGuardian050
    Everything seems too crammed together now... which is funny considering it's still not even using 1/2 my screen space, lots of wasted left/right side space on widescreen.
    Yes that does take some getting used to.
    It was web page format before where it completely
    covered the screen left to right.

Now it is like looking at a word document.

Can I ask, if anyone has an answer, why?

Why the change? Why did it all come about?

Was it necessary to change from the old format?

I had no problems with the old format, maybe some people did?
  10. Virginia, USA
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 10:20
    Originally posted by nondual
    I absolutely HATE the new format. the graphics on the actual board page look worse and the raised pieces look really tacky now. Also, the link to go through to a game on 'my games' is now on the right of the screen so one has to scroll every time when using a phone.

stupid, stupid, stupid aesthetics. it really wasn't broke, no need to try fix it.
    I really do not like this new format. I was hopimg it was a glitch in my computer but I guess not. The old way was just fine. I will look around more but the new board sucks and my games arent showing in the order that I like anymore. I may end up having to quit the site.
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 10:25
    Originally posted by Kenworth18
    I really do not like this new format. I was hopimg it was a glitch in my computer but I guess not. The old way was just fine. I will look around more but the new board sucks and my games arent showing in the order that I like anymore. I may end up having to quit the site.
    Which way did you like your games to sort previously? This might be supported now too. Also, can you post why you don't like the new board? Thanks.
  12. Virginia, USA
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 10:54
    Originally posted by Russ
    Which way did you like your games to sort previously? This might be supported now too. Also, can you post why you don't like the new board? Thanks.
    When I would go to games it would show the game that was oldest at the top and now it doesnt seem to have that option. The board just looks wrong to me. Bulbous pieces. I have to hit F11 now to make the board actually fit onto my screen even in mini mode. I have my resolution set at work to where I need it to be and that is where I do most of my playing. Having to hit F11 to decrease the browser size so I can quickly hide what I am actually doing will eventually bite me in the butt. I have loved this site for years and I admit I am a creature of habit. It seems I would have to learn a whole new site. I liked being able to click on the top right to view my games. I think its just the wholesale change. If it had less dramatic I think I could have liked it better. Sorry.
  13. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 10:55
    In the Analyze Board earlier you just clicked a piece to move and now you must draw it to a new position. It was easier with the 'click' version.
  14. Joined
    08 Dec '12
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 10:55
    Hate the new look.
  15. Joined
    16 May '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 11:00
    Awful. The old interface was pleasing on the eye. This makes it very hard to see the overall picture of ones game load.. Who thought of the colour scheme.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree