I hate change ...

I hate change ...

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australia

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by Papa Fett
Wow - my posts are now being deleted by the moderator!! Presumably because I said I was going to a rival website (who will now remain anonymous).
I alerted your post because you were stirring up trouble in that post. Just because you're discontented is no good reason for trying to get a mob going.

Read a book!

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
Did you not want a queen?
There are times when a knight is preferable. 😉

Virginia, USA

Moves
01 May 13

Sorry. I am big on jumping the gun and hate change. I have been here long enough to love the place. I will be giving things another chance now that i have had a chance to sleep on it. If I like it (which i assumei eventually will) i will be renewing my sub when it expires. Sorry for the tirade.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 May 13
1 edit

Day Two and I'm actually almost as excited to explore this site and its consderable variety of features as if today were July 13, 2007. There's more. As I made my moves in a dozen chess games on two other well known competitive sites (late last night after stopping by Facebook), the comparison was even more in favor of Red Hot Pawn.

Subjective? No. Last Summer I seriously considered these sites as an alternative. I've been aware of their negatives right along. If otherwise, Boston Lad would already been long gone. Two of Several Serious Deficiencies: Miniscule Space Allotment for In-Game Messaging (and consequently very little use of the feature). Prohibitive Subscription Fees.

No Game or Internet Site is Perfect. Only Sensible Strategy for any thinking person is to carve out a niche; set a few realistic goals; know your role; through all kinds of weather, keep moving forward and paying the toll as you go. (gb)

PF

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by Kewpie
I alerted your post because you were stirring up trouble in that post. Just because you're discontented is no good reason for trying to get a mob going.
Stirring up trouble? I mentioned a few additional technical items in response to Russ's email, said I was moving to a different website and said goodbye?

MM

Antwerp, Belgium

Moves
01 May 13

I completely dislike the new setup! Please change it back...
Can we not have a choice at least?

Z

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by Kewpie
Lame.

Moves
01 May 13

As with everything, time will probably give me a more positive perception of the new interface/ design. At the moment, I don't like it. The board is too large, making it more difficult to focus. The movement of pieces is less instinctive. It feels 'bitty' I would expect the tech guys to have produced a much better site.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by Bonarparte
As with everything, time will probably give me a more positive perception of the new interface/ design. At the moment, I don't like it. The board is too large, making it more difficult to focus. The movement of pieces is less instinctive. It feels 'bitty' I would expect the tech guys to have produced a much better site.
Board sizes come in many sizes...from the "Board style" button.

I think defaulting everyone to the new large board size was the biggest error and this decision maybe reversed this evening.

Z

Moves
01 May 13

It amazes me how people would rather search for the forums to complain rather than search for the general settings to change the board size. Seems like a pretty intuitive thing to go to the settings first, to me.

In your face

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by HandyAndy
There are times when a knight is preferable. 😉
I do know that Mr Andy. I was just trying to be a flamerrrrr. PLease stop flaming my flames. 😲

Moves
01 May 13

It's not the board size. The board style is problematic. The best choice available is High Contrast, which actually presents a weak and washed-out contrast. All other choices are at such a weak level of contrast, that they are completely off-putting. How about black and white? I think that scheme has been tried and has worked well for 99.9% of chess boards.
The 3-D look of the pieces is totally worthless. This site is a 2-dimensional page, so the 3-D pieces add nothing, although they are extremely distracting. Why the effort on making so many sets of pieces that are all over-designed? This is not a video game and should not try to emulate one.

In your face

Moves
01 May 13

Wow. I really don't understand what all of the fuss is about. What's up with the newspaper pieces. If you can't see what piecesd are what on this set, then perhaps you should be playing Ludo or something.
Load of people whining for the sake of it as far as I can see. Get a grip dudes.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
Wow. I really don't understand what all of the fuss is about. What's up with the newspaper pieces. If you can't see what piecesd are what on this set, then perhaps you should be playing Ludo or something.
Load of people whining for the sake of it as far as I can see. Get a grip dudes.
People don't like change.

I was happy with the old time for chess.

I'll just have to get used to this now.

I'm still at a loss as to why all this had to come about.
I think it had something to do with people playing on
phones and tablets instead of laptops.

I play rhp on a laptop. A Toshiba C660 D Windows 7 with Google Chrome.

In your face

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
People don't like change.

I was happy with the old time for chess.

I'll just have to get used to this now.

I'm still at a loss as to why all this had to come about.
I think it had something to do with people playing on
phones and tablets instead of laptops.

I play rhp on a laptop. A Toshiba C660 D Windows 7 with Google Chrome.
Yes and I don't see you emptying the pram like some people. And yes, people don't like change, but if that's the only problem then it's not the end of the world is it. The website still offers the old functionality pretty much, and Russ said that he is more than happy to restore old features that seem to have gone missing, so I don't understand the uproar.