I hate change ...

I hate change ...

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SS

Toronto, Canada

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by Lee Gibson
Firefox prints all BUT the board--will check and see what MS will give me
You're mixing browsers with OS. Whether that was your intended gist or not is interesting, as the same browser with different OS sometimes renders different results, esp w/ outboard devices.

SS

Toronto, Canada

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
Did you not want a queen?
You can't be serious? My games are suffering as I age due to medical factors, but my memory is sharp enough to know that a K in lieu of a Q especially can win or lose you a game in some instances depending on choice. Were you not aware of this?

In your face

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by Stephen Saines
You can't be serious?
No I was joking.

SS

Toronto, Canada

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]"Sweet Baby Jane Almost Had a Very Bad Day"

> "But, Mommy, Something's Happened. Pleease Come Outside and Just Look!"
< "Okay, Honey. Let's go".
> "See, something's happened to our house."
< "What, Honey? Tell me what you see."
> "Everything's all changed. I'm afraid. I don't think I even like it."

< Oh, my goodness. Don't you remember ...[text shortened]... /www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Hymq609P4
.[/b]
Hey, how about we change everything around in your favourite airplane's cockpit so the i-pad crowd can be catered to?

Sorry? You're still in the middle of flying? Hey....

No-one's against change, some of us embrace and push it, the problem is change without respecting those thoroughly ingratiated with an existing system.

Change should be an option, not a diktat.

Moves
01 May 13

Try that at a tournament with real pieces, and see how far the logic carries you.

Some of us actually play with real chess sets, and *ostensibly* one tries to emulate that on a device that renders the game as a facsimile.

Obviously you don't play on a desktop or laptop. Next, you'll be expecting paintings to be reformatted so you can view them o ...[text shortened]... ere designed by software geeks, there would be a hell of a lot less vehicles on the road....
Stephen, I also play with real pieces, and on a PC as well as iPad and iPhone. Oddly enough, my PC chooses not to join me during my day. 😕

SS

Toronto, Canada

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by drdon
Well said. I had a couple of issues with the new site, then I suspended my stupidity for long enough to play around looking for solutions rather than complaining. The solutions were there....I just needed to find them.
OK, well how do we change the look back to the way it was if 'the solution is there'?

Specifically, I mean the board. For some of us, a glance at the *right* display means you're looking *past* the pieces, and don't have to discern what each piece is and their 'lay' in the game.

A good simile is digital vs. analog watch displays. One takes a large mental processing function more than the other. (many mental functions are quantified as ratios, not sums).

All the superfluous buttons are not my concern, I can muddle through those, but it's the *glance* at a board laid out in a way familiar that allows the higher functions to rein.

That has been lost. Restore that, and the rest I couldn't give a toss about.

SS

Toronto, Canada

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by Startreader
Stephen, I also play with real pieces, and on a PC as well as iPad and iPhone. Oddly enough, my PC chooses not to join me during my day. 😕
[Oddly enough, my PC chooses not to join me during my day]

That's very nice. So damn everyone else who does play only on a desktop/laptop?

I couldn't give a flying fig if you play on the end of a needle, what is so difficult in understanding that for many of us, the *option* to 'keep it simple and the way it was' has been lost?

Ubuntu is having the same problem with UI...having been forced to provide Gnome as an option in lieu of the processor sucking Unity fancy bells and whistles razzmatazz that some of us just don't care for.

I have no problem using a screwdriver or a hammer when the job requires it. Some insist on the latest 'impact driver V2058.14 Johnny-Seven De-luxe' to do it.

Btw: I design systems of an evolutionary nature, but I don't change the way you interface with them.

In your face

Moves
01 May 13

I couldn't give a flying fig if you play on the end of a needle, what is so difficult in understanding that for many of us, the *option* to 'keep it simple and the way it was' has been lost?

Ubuntu is havi ...[text shortened]... n systems of an evolutionary nature, but I don't change the way you interface with them.
Have a chill pill dude. Cripes. 😕

RHP Member No.16

Moves
01 May 13

OK, well how do we change the look back to the way it was if 'the solution is there'?

Specifically, I mean the board.
Are you referring to a different board size, different pieces, or what?

If you previously used the "standard" size board, try changing the board size to "mini". I had to do that to get mine back to a size that I was comfortable with.

I don't know what piece set you like, but there are several to choose from. I have used "book" or "alpha" for quite some time and did not see any problems with them.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 May 13
1 edit

Ubuntu i esign systems of an evolutionary nature, but I don't change the way you interface with them.

["Oddly enough, my PC chooses not to join me during my day]

Ubuntu is having the same problem with UI...having been forced to provide Gnome as an option in lieu of the processor sucking Unity fancy bells and whistles razzmatazz that some of us just don't care for.

I have no problem using a screwdriver or a hammer when the job requires it. Some insist on the latest 'impact driver V2058.14 Johnny-Seven De-luxe' to do it.

Btw: I design systems of an evolutionary nature, but I don't change the way you interface with them."

Energy Captured/Fury Tamed within An Easy in the Harness Love Affair with Spoken and Written Language that Communicates Effectively yet with a Playful/Quirky Style Reflects a Well Ordered Mind. 2,000 Years Ago, An Infant GB would have been Astonied! Today, he merely Salutes a Kindred Spirit/One of a Tertium Quid Band of Brothers.

z
Mouth for war

Burlington, KY

Moves
01 May 13

Hate the new look. Game sort doesn't stick. Page is too bright, looks like balls.

Moves
01 May 13

Firefox prints all BUT the board--will check and see what MS will give me
I do not have Chrome--It seems I am stuck with creating a screen shot and printing the image--

PLEASE--give the players a better solution

Thanks,
Lee

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 May 13

Originally posted by Startreader
I'm getting used to dragging and dropping the pieces instead of clicking on them...is it such a big deal?
The beauty of the new method is that you now have more choice. You can use drag and drop if you want and you can still use click move if you want. You're not being forced into one or the other, you now have choice, and choice is good! 🙂

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
02 May 13

I do not have Chrome--It seems I am stuck with creating a screen shot and printing the image--

PLEASE--give the players a better solution

Thanks,
Lee
Dude, just get chrome. It's free.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 May 13

Originally posted by mwmiller
I don't know what piece set you like, but there are several to choose from. I have used "book" or "alpha" for quite some time and did not see any problems with them.
I like the Book and Newspaper sets also, and I've recently noticed Alpha as another alternative to those. But I'm sticking with Newspaper for now because of the three, it seems the least cluttered, the pieces don't actually take up the entire square. Even on a real board, I like having some space between the pieces, and most sets here don't even consider that. Being able to scale the pieces would be awesome, but probably a lot more programming work than it's worth.