If you were Russ...

If you were Russ...

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fg

1313mockingbirdlane

Moves
26 Jun 08

hand out the tissues guys..fabulous job on running the site..!🙂😀🙂😀🙂😀🙂😀🙂😀

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Jun 08

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Overlooked your concern about info. Rest easy, Tim. Lifelong interest in learning new things, driven by my

extroverted personality, caused me to initiate and cultivate a few industry contacts six months ago. Let's just

say gb is sensitive to some of the tough challenges of the internet chess site/bulletin board market segment.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Jun 08

Originally posted by Aiko
I would sell the lot.

What would you offer me?
Sir, with all due respect, you are not in a position to buy or sell

anything... now or ever, if you insist on spinning off superficiality.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
27 Jun 08

Originally posted by pawnhandler
I'd write "codswollop" but I don't actually know how to spell it. How do you know this is the case? People often hang out with others who think like them; I've known VERY few over the years who actually changed their thinking to go along with some group. But I'm perfectly willing to have you point out who among the RHPers who had one way of thinking a ...[text shortened]... or think something doesn't make it less true or less of an independent opinion.
Pawnie, you are one of a handful who have responded constructively to the express intent of the the initial post. Your heart is in the right

place. Your insightfulness and broad guaged group reconciliation approach now seeks to unify. You are too innocent to know the evil.

Thank you... and I'm glad you're back home where you belong.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
27 Jun 08
3 edits

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Humor me. Your original question makes no sense. What do you mean by "site moderation issues," or do we need to guess? Are the moderators too strict? Are they too lenient? Do they favor their friends and plague their enemies? Do you think it's a serious problem? If you want others to offer opinions, it might help if you begin by offering yours. Communicate.
In all these months, Andy, I've never seen you this subjective and myopic.

Please listen up. MODERATION: Keeping the forums and games within limits.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
27 Jun 08

Originally posted by fred garcia
hand out the tissues guys..fabulous job on running the site..!🙂😀🙂😀🙂😀🙂😀🙂😀
Your profile quote is excellent... Solid words to live by. Thanks.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
27 Jun 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby

so are you saying the problem with moderation is that there IS moderation?

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
27 Jun 08

If you were Russ...

If you were Russ and/or Chris, how would you approach short and long term resolution of RHP Site moderation issues?

One simple courtesy request: Please find other sandboxes to jest, fixate and fight in. Only thoughtful replies go here.

Thanks.
Depends how much the site is a business versus a hobby. If it's a hobby I'd avoid censorship and moderation but when I stepped in I'd do it as a ruthless dictator. If it's a business I'd have to study what would make the most money while remaining honorable.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
27 Jun 08
1 edit

Originally posted by wormwood
so are you saying the problem with moderation is that there IS moderation?
Thought you decided to excercise your prerogative of ignoring my stuff and had waltzed over to visit Seitse. Well, since

you're still here let me try to field your question... Obviously the answer is 'of course not'. We need it. Ownership must

determine how most efficiently to provide it. Sometimes the cost of the solution far exceeds the cost of the problem.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
27 Jun 08
1 edit

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Depends how much the site is a business versus a hobby. If it's a hobby I'd avoid censorship and moderation but when I stepped in I'd do it as a ruthless dictator. If it's a business I'd have to study what would make the most money while remaining honorable.
Sir, you must realize RHP represents a major financial, technical expertise, lifetime investment on the part of our two benefactors.

It's their income and the livelihood of their families. May well be little more than an incidental hobby to you... but it's here tonight

for you and me to click on and post an opinion because of their blood, sweat and tears. In any biz, legal risks are also involved.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
27 Jun 08

Thought you decided to excercise your prerogative of ignoring my stuff and had waltzed over to visit Seitse. Well, since

you're still here let me try to field your question... Obviously the answer is 'of course not'. We need it. Ownership must

determine how most efficiently to provide it. Sometimes the cost of the solution far exceeds the cost of the problem.
I'm sorry to break your delusion of being able to tell me where to go and what to read.

so you still refuse to give any indication of what you think are the problems with moderation. well can't say I'm surprised, given your track record of starting pointless threads.

Read a book!

Moves
27 Jun 08

You've got me pegged, GB. I confess to being myopic.

And right now you look really fuzzy.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
27 Jun 08

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
If it's a business I'd have to study what would make the most money while remaining honorable.
The important thing about moderators from a legal point of view for RHP is having them.

They provide a shield for the site against liability for statements made in the forums.

The mods don't have to do a good job, just exist, to provide that protection.

Why have the moderators we have? What business purpose do they serve?

My best guess is that they are part of the show.

Russ & Chris don't know much about chess, but they understand drama. I'm guessing they think that drama brings people to the site. Maybe it does.

Surely, no one would argue with the statement that they would install laughing hyenas if it brought in more revenue. On second thought, maybe they did and maybe it does.

l
Man of Steel

rushing to and fro

Moves
27 Jun 08

If you were Russ...

If you were Russ and/or Chris, how would you approach short and long term resolution of RHP Site moderation issues?

One simple courtesy request: Please find other sandboxes to jest, fixate and fight in. Only thoughtful replies go here.

Thanks.
...I'd shoot myself, right after reading this thread. 😛

....Now that I've done my little part to post a frivolous reply and turn Grampy Bobby into Grumpy Bobby, I suppose you're going to want a serious answer as well.

It seems to me that overall Russ and gang have created a nice little chess site here. Simply the fact that it's lasted as long as it has and has so many participants speaks for itself. The interface is pretty decent. The down time is fairly infrequent (although there have been a few occasional rough patches). And in addition to being able to pick up some good games, you can occasionally find some interesting chat in the forums.

They do a pretty decent job of expelling the more obnoxious trolls (although there are a few strident voices remaining that I find to be a little bit like fingernails on a black-board, but I shouldn't complain as perhaps some get that feeling from me).

The fact that they've been so successful would make me tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, there are times when I wish that they were a little more lax in what was allowed in the forums. But I can also understand that they are running a business and that wouldn't necessarily make good business sense. And in reality I wouldn't want my 4 year-old daughter reading some of the stuff that does get by in the forums (but then I do tend to be a little over-protective).

If I was tempted to criticize, then I'm not sure what I'd focus on to feel like I had a valid gripe.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
27 Jun 08

Originally posted by wormwood
I'm sorry to break your delusion of being able to tell me where to go and what to read.

so you still refuse to give any indication of what you think are the problems with moderation. well can't say I'm surprised, given your track record of starting pointless threads.
'PROBLEM' = WORMWOOD'S WORD. Once again, initial post simply

asked for viewpoints on short and long term resolution of RHP Site

moderation issues. They are industry generic in nature, not unique.