1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Jan '18 16:25
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Wow, two people thumbed down a demand for life imprisonment for child-raping murderers.

Nice.
    Dive,

It has to be one of those cases where they are thumbing down the poster not the post. At least I would hope that is the case, or we have some pretty sick people on this site.

-VR
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    13 Jan '18 20:23
    Originally posted by @very-rusty
    Dive,

It has to be one of those cases where they are thumbing down the poster not the post. At least I would hope that is the case, or we have some pretty sick people on this site.

-VR
    There is nothing to excuse abusing, malesting or murdering a child. Plenty of explanations but no excuses.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '18 21:501 edit
    Related:

UK justice secretary to intervene in release of rapist.

https://news.sky.com/story/justice-secretary-david-gauke-to-intervene-on-john-worboys-release-11207198
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Jan '18 22:38
    Originally posted by @torunn
    There is nothing to excuse abusing, malesting or murdering a child. Plenty of explanations but no excuses.
    I agreed with dive's post, the people that thumbed the posts were not thumbing down what was said they were thumbing down the poster, happens to me all the time.

-VR
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Jan '18 23:03
    Perhaps you would feel less pious if it was your little girl that was found wrapped in a bin bag and dumped in the woods after being sexually assaulted and asphyxiated.
    But then his opinion would be subjective.
    Surely justice demands objectivity?
    I'd want to kill anyone that touched my little girl ... but I do not in any way support capital punishment.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '18 00:00
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    But then his opinion would be subjective.
    I'd want to kill anyone that touched my little girl ... but I do not in any way support capital punishment.
    Great post.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '18 00:15

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '18 00:182 edits
    It does indeed, collective objectivity, and I’m pretty sure that the vast majority of people would objectively demand a life until death penalty for the offender who abducted, raped and murdered this little girl. Don’t you agree?
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Jan '18 00:35
    It does indeed, collective objectivity, and I’m pretty sure that the vast majority of people would objectively demand a life until death penalty for the offender who abducted, raped and murdered this little girl. Don’t you agree?
    Without seeing all the facts I cannot say.
    But it is certainly possible that I would disagree.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '18 01:23
    Without seeing all the facts I cannot say.
    But it is certainly possible that I would disagree.
    The facts are in the case in the OP, but I’m sure you have your reasons for taking your stance.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Jan '18 02:43
    The facts are in the case in the OP, but I’m sure you have your reasons for taking your stance.
    I'm sure the Parole Board had a bit more info.
  12. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    14 Jan '18 03:31
    I'm sure the Parole Board had a bit more info.
    As I understand it is not a case of parole. It is a case of time served.

If we are happy or not about the fact that a court sentenced him to that time is not the issue. A court sentenced him. he has served his sentence. He should go free.

If anybody is not happy about measures they have to go to law-makers to demand automatic indefinite incarceration of rapists, or child rapists, or murderers....
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '18 03:392 edits
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    As I understand it is not a case of parole. It is a case of time served.

If we are happy or not about the fact that a court sentenced him to that time is not the issue. A court sentenced him. he has served his sentence. He should go free.

If anybody is not happy about measures they have to go to law-makers to demand automatic indefinite incarceration of rapists, or child rapists, or murderers....
    Do you feel then that the UK justice secretary is wrong to intervene in the example I gave several posts above, where a multiple rapist (I think over 100 rapes) is being released but because he is considered highly likely to reoffend the state is intervening? And so it goes with the case of this man in the OP of this thread, it is highly likely that he will reoffend. The purpose of the justice system is surely not just to measure out punishment by letter and date, but to protect the innocent and the vulnerable? Such as children in this case.
  14. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    14 Jan '18 03:47
    Do you feel then that the UK justice secretary is wrong to intervene in the example I gave several posts above, where a multiple rapist (I think over 100 rapes) is being released but because he is considered highly likely to reoffend the state is intervening? And so it goes with the case of this man in the OP of this thread, it is highly likely that he ...[text shortened]... letter and date, but to protect the innocent and the vulnerable? Such as children in this case.
    First I have admit that I probably confused the OP and the parole case from the UK.

Then I don't know the British judical system. It seems like that guy was granted parole. I don't know if it is reversible. And the justice secretary is looking for ways. That is (I expect he is a lawyer) there is no evident way. to revoke parole as long as the person in question is keeping to the measures.

I agree with wolfgang, that the parole board is probably in a much better postiion to decide if the offender is a future risk. Even tough there is no foolproof way to determine this.

I feel that the UK justice secretary is wrong to intervene, this is a media stunt.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '18 03:581 edit
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    First I have admit that I probably confused the OP and the parole case from the UK.

Then I don't know the British judical system. It seems like that guy was granted parole. I don't know if it is reversible. And the justice secretary is looking for ways. That is (I expect he is a lawyer) there is no evident way. to revoke parole as long as the person i ...[text shortened]... mine this.

I feel that the UK justice secretary is wrong to intervene, this is a media stunt.
    I feel that a convicted sex criminal or serial murderer should only be released if they do not represent a threat to the public at large irrespective of the initial sentence. The purpose of the judiciary and the penal system is to punish, to rehabilitate and to protect. The punishment is served but if the criminal is not rehabilitated then protection of the public should be the primary factor. I’m aware this may be controversial to some but when the criminal in the OP reoffends, and he will, who will then stand up and say it was right that he was released.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree