1. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    22 Nov '19 15:43
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Okay, let's see if your repugnant babysitting comparison holds water.

A Psychiatrist or Clinical Psychologist will refer a client to our outreach team following their diagnosis and initial treatment (which may or may not have involved medication or time on a mental health ward). Such a diagnosis will vary from depression to schizophrenia and a plethora of condition ...[text shortened]... elaborate on if you have a genuine interest, and of course acknowledge your crass babysitting error.
    Ghost's explanation is commendable philanthropy. Attempting to provide professional insight for an emotionally blunted person, like Rusty, can be nothing less.

On the serious side: Thank you for providing aid and comfort to those in need. It can be a thankless job. But a job well done can be its own gratitude. 😊
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Nov '19 15:43
    @torunn said
    Goad is working with people suffering mental health issues - is there more to stay about it? People who struggle with such issues often have a difficult time and they need professional help.
    Thanks, goad has explained things a little more and hopefully will talk more on this subject.

-VR
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Nov '19 15:462 edits
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

A Psychiatrist or Clinical Psychologist will refer a client to our outreach team following their diagnosis and initial treatment (which may or may not have involved medication or time on a mental health ward). Such a diagnosis will vary from depression to schizophrenia and a plethora of condition ...[text shortened]... elaborate on if you have a genuine interest, and of course acknowledge your crass babysitting error.

Actually I am quite interested....I know a person who you speak of who is Schizophrenia which is kept under control with meds...He told me a lot about it and that he doesn't have feelings like we do, he seemed very nice, there are times I see him and it is like he doesn't know me, and other times he engages in conversation. I am thinking it has to do with is condition....He was very proud of the fact he had a job now working 2hrs at the hospital a week.

His uncle was with him one day, but didn't get a chance to talk to his uncle without him there. I had lots of questions about the condition. I know he drinks at leasst 6 large coffee one right after the other, can't seem to get enough in him. He seems like he is fairly intelligent to me, but quiet and doesn't say much unless you get him engaged in conversation. He is a good sized guy a little bigger than me by a bit, looks like he would be hard to handle if he lost his temper. Looks like the kind of person that could be hard to handle physically.

-VR
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Nov '19 17:27
    @wolfe63 said
    Ghost's explanation is commendable philanthropy. Attempting to provide professional insight for an emotionally blunted person, like Rusty, can be nothing less.

On the serious side: Thank you for providing aid and comfort to those in need. It can be a thankless job. But a job well done can be its own gratitude. 😊
    Thanks. I really do enjoy the work I do.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Nov '19 17:29
    @very-rusty said
    Thanks, goad has explained things a little more and hopefully will talk more on this subject.

-VR
    Absolutely. The very second you retract the crass babysitting comparison.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Nov '19 18:11
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Absolutely. The very second you retract the crass babysitting comparison.
    I think you are being "silly goad" about it but I will retract the babysitting comparison, if that will help.

-VR
  7. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    22 Nov '19 18:13
    @very-rusty said
    Very informative pondy, I may give them the pleasure of my presence sometime! 😉 😛

-VR
    sometimes the soul is "just a good cigar".\

( know what "doctor" said that ? )
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Nov '19 18:16
    @mister-moggy said

You see I give out compliments also! 😉

-VR
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 00:40
    @very-rusty said
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

A Psychiatrist or Clinical Psychologist will refer a client to our outreach team following their diagnosis and initial treatment (which may or may not have involved medication or time on a mental health ward). Such a diagnosis will vary from depression to schizophrenia and a ple ...[text shortened]... if he lost his temper. Looks like the kind of person that could be hard to handle physically.

-VR
    With schizophrenia and psychosis in general they want to alter their brain state in an affective (i.e. intuitive) way. I don't understand the mechanism, but they'll chain smoke, and so drinking x cups of coffee is entirely within the range of behaviour. With schizophrenia the anti-psychotics control the positive symptoms, which are psychosis, but do not control negative symptoms, which you described quite well in your post. There are side effects you can read about on Wikipedia, but weight gain is one of them. Your friend is doing well working at all, respect to him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipsychotic#Adverse_effects
  10. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 02:561 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

Your work seems similar to mine only mine is with youth and families rather than adults. Our support and treatment is a less restrictive option than hospitalization for youth with very high risk factors. We DO work in homes and I concur, it’s not babysitting. With crisis stabilization, supervision is essential until the youth is ready for even less restrictive treatment. I would NEVER use a derogatory reference such as “babysitting” as it infers an assumption that only stigmatizes mental health concerns further.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 04:01
    @hakima said
    Your work seems similar to mine only mine is with youth and families rather than adults. Our support and treatment is a less restrictive option than hospitalization for youth with very high risk factors. We DO work in homes and I concur, it’s not babysitting. With crisis stabilization, supervision is essential until the youth is ready for even less restrictive treatment. I wou ...[text shortened]... ch as “babysitting” as it infers an assumption that only stigmatizes mental health concerns further.
    TGFPLH...thank goodness for people like hakima.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 04:30
    @very-rusty said
    I think you are being "silly goad" about it but I will retract the babysitting comparison, if that will help.

-VR
    I'm sure it will, but from what I can see, he's still waiting.

No apology yet, all I see is you saying you will, but still no apology forthcoming, I see.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 04:31
    @mister-moggy said

Freud said, " Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Is that what you're talking about?
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 12:55
    @suzianne said
    Freud said, " Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Is that what you're talking about?
    We're heading to Cuba (for the 10th time) in February. Anyone want some "good" cigars? PM me.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 13:42
    @hakima said
    Your work seems similar to mine only mine is with youth and families rather than adults. Our support and treatment is a less restrictive option than hospitalization for youth with very high risk factors. We DO work in homes and I concur, it’s not babysitting. With crisis stabilization, supervision is essential until the youth is ready for even less restrictive treatment. I wou ...[text shortened]... ch as “babysitting” as it infers an assumption that only stigmatizes mental health concerns further.
    That's great. Sounds like rewarding work.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree