1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Nov '20 07:59
    @earl-of-trumps said
    jeepers, talk about a blast from the past. I remember it like it was yesterday
    Me too, and I can’t get it out of my head now ๐Ÿคจ
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Nov '20 20:27
    Just finished watching this series on Netflix. Best thing I have watched in ages and really happy with the ending. (I anticipated a very different ending).

Don't want to post any spoilers, but highly recommended.
  3. Joined
    08 Sep '20
    Moves
    14 Nov '20 23:12
    @blackpoolmad said
    Anyone watching it?
    Binge watched the first 3 last night.
    Quite interesting so far.
    We completed the series this evening. Thoroughly enjoyable, thank you for the recommendation.
  4. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    15 Nov '20 14:39
    @blackpoolmad said
    Anyone watching it?
    Binge watched the first 3 last night.
    Quite interesting so far.
    watched the whole thing over the last three days

unimpressed
    i do not know why
  5. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    15 Nov '20 16:01
    @rookie54 said
    watched the whole thing over the last three days

unimpressed
    i do not know why
    Three episodes in and completely captivated by it.
  6. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    15 Nov '20 16:42
    Finished it last weekend.
    Complete satisfaction.

NETFLIX deserves an Award.
    This series far surpassed their frequently dumbed-down pablum.
    Bully for them!
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Nov '20 17:072 edits
    GAH!

When so many of my clan members recommend something I cannot just ignore it any longer. I'll start watching this sometime this week.

My TV time has been less lately, but I've been keeping up with Season 2 of The Mandalorian.

STILL waiting on Season 4 of Ozark.
  8. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    15 Nov '20 20:35
    @suzianne said
    GAH!

When so many of my clan members recommend something I cannot just ignore it any longer. I'll start watching this sometime this week.

My TV time has been less lately, but I've been keeping up with Season 2 of The Mandalorian.

STILL waiting on Season 4 of Ozark.
    Ozark? Holy cow!
    I'd completely forgotten about that.

My wife watched it completely. She gushed.
    I left off at episode 4 of Season 1. I'm sure to pick it back up again now. Especially because I don't want to be further behind when Season 4 hits.

Thanks Suzianne. ๐Ÿ™‚
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    17 Nov '20 18:288 edits
    Finished watching this last weekend. Pretty good, never lags.

The series intelligently discusses chess (like chess openings, figures like Morphy, etc.) and doesn't seem like it's posing. The drama is never actually on the board, it's in the reactions of the players and spectators; the camera usually only glances at the chess pieces for no more than a second or two at time. This is probably for the best, since this approach doesn't alienate non-chess players.

I liked the actress, who convincingly played the main character at different ages, from 15 to early 20s. The character was a lot like Fischer, sharing a lot of socially awkward traits, an ego that enjoys crushing other players and a very direct way of speaking in a way that sometimes lacks tact or politeness. It's a treat to see her evolve into a more human person as she goes through trials in her life.

I also appreciated that this series avoided having stereotypical villains. Her antagonists are mostly people who just want to win as bad as she does, which was a good choice. It was nice to see cold-war era Russians not portrayed as Bond villains but as actual human beings, some of whom appreciate well-played chess games even if they lose.

I recommend this not so much as a "chess movie" but as a good drama.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    17 Nov '20 23:06
    @blackpoolmad said
    You've just ruined it for everyone.
    However, it was a very predictable ending. Reminded me of the far fetched Rocky film when he went to Russia and all the Russians were singing for Rocky to win. About as realistic as the KKK leader kneeling for BLM.
    I agree, I immediately thought of Rocky 4 as well.

The show started by having small groups of Russian women admiring her; I assumed this was due to the sexism of 60s and the women finding a hero in a woman succeeding in a Male-dominated game. I was fine with this; but when they pulled a Rocky where it seemed *every* Russian cheered for her, that was pretty silly.
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    18 Nov '20 08:28
    Good series with a typical predicable American ending, Quintain Tarantino would of had her die of a drug and booze overdose or shot my Russian mafia.
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 Nov '20 13:373 edits
    I'm sure it has been impossible to not notice (it's everywhere), but this series is creating quite a buzz online about chess suddenly, so if anyone now has chess-curious friends as a result, please let them know about RHP (or DailyChess.com if you prefer). Thanks!
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 Nov '20 07:17
    @russ said
    I'm sure it has been impossible to not notice (it's everywhere), but this series is creating quite a buzz online about chess suddenly, so if anyone now has chess-curious friends as a result, please let them know about RHP (or DailyChess.com if you prefer). Thanks!
    Heard somewhere that chess.com Said they’ve had an extra half million new accounts created since its release. Notice any unusually high new accounts being created recently yourself?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Nov '20 09:16
    @trev33 said
    Heard somewhere that chess.com Said they’ve had an extra half million new accounts created since its release. Notice any unusually high new accounts being created recently yourself?
    Probably half a million lonely blokes looking to meet a hot redhead.
  15. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Nov '20 09:231 edit
    @trev33 said
    Half a million fewer than there should have been! ๐Ÿฅฒ

It appears to have prompted people to return to chess - old accounts resumed, or old players returning. So a positive effect, but just a ripple really. (That 'other' site has a vast Google presence, so will be the arrival point for many new curious players, unfortunately. )

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree