1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 May '18 21:503 edits
    The event was the ultimate marketing presentation for the UK.
    It is a moment that represents the best remaining outcomes of our heritage and roots.
    So a few individuals ride the wave, so what?
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 May '18 00:34
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    What is the minimal number of “kids who grow up without mothers”, before you can bring yourself to acknowledge what Harry and William experienced?
    No one knows what "kids" who grow up without mothers experience except those kids of course. A big deal is made out of it because Harry was from the Royal Family.

A kid who was from the ghetto who did well wouldn't even have been recognized.

-VR
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 May '18 00:35
    It is a moment that represents the best remaining outcomes of our heritage and roots.
    Harry's brothers wedding cost an estimated 28 million and Harry's is reported to have cost more.

I am sure they needed to spend that much on a wedding!

-VR
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 May '18 00:47
    Who picked up the tab to police Harry's wedding?

A few weeks ago I was reading that the Belfast marathon may
    be cancelled because the organisers cannot afford the policing.

That is the "so what" of a few individuals riding the wave,
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 May '18 01:031 edit
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59

UPDATE:

Harry & Meghan,

The royal wedding cost an estimated $42.8 million—and 94% of it is for security.

There seemed to be enough money for policing that event.

-VR
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    20 May '18 01:12
    Originally posted by @very-rusty
    The royal wedding cost an estimated $42.8 million—and 94% of it is for security.

There seemed to be enough money for policing that event.
    The cost of controlling the bad guys continues to climb.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 May '18 01:201 edit
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    The cost of controlling the bad guys continues to climb.
    This does seem to be the case when 94% of the cost is on security.

Wonder how much is paid by the English Tax Payers and are they ok with this?

I heard Meghan was paying for her own dress which ran 6 figures!

I found this story on the Internet:

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's wedding will come with a staggering bill: about $42.8 million.

But the majority of that money isn't paying for ornate flowers, classy hors d'œuvres or entertainment: It's going towards keeping the betrothed, their guests and the thousands of onlookers safe.

According to U.K. wedding site Bridebook, the cost of security, including snipers, undercover police and a counter-UAV system, will be about $40.1 million, or 94 percent of the total wedding budget.

How rich is the royal family? How rich is the royal family?
    If you disregard security costs, it's still a pricey affair. England-based luxury wedding planner Aimee Dunne tells CNBC Make It that expenses like food and beverage, the dress, flowers and a glass marquee for the reception will cost about $2.7 million (£2 million). That's 73 times the cost of the average wedding in the U.K.

As for who's picking up the tab, the royal family announced that it will pay for the "core aspects of the wedding," which include the "church service, the associated music, flowers, decorations and the reception afterwards."

The whopping security costs, however, are expected to be paid for largely by taxpayers. For the 2011 marriage of Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge, the English public contributed an estimated $27 million, which allowed for thousands of extra police officers at the event.

The bride will likely be contributing, too: Markle is reportedly expected to pay for her six-figure wedding dress herself.

-VR
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 May '18 06:27
    Watched by 1 in 3 people on the planet.

Say no more.
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    20 May '18 06:49
    I think before getting too upset about the cost of the wedding to the taxpayer, one should take into account the amount of revenue generated for the exchequer. Anyway some things are in my humble opinion worth paying for; this is history in the making, pomp and circumstance, and it's something which we Brits do better than anyone else. Long may it remain so!
  10. Gothenburg
    Moves
    20 May '18 07:03
    Originally posted by @indonesia-phil
    I think before getting too upset about the cost of the wedding to the taxpayer, one should take into account the amount of revenue generated for the exchequer. Anyway some things are in my humble opinion worth paying for; this is history in the making, pomp and circumstance, and it's something which we Brits do better than anyone else. Long may it remain so!
    Monarchy - in its best form - represents stability and that, I agree, is worth paying for. I wouldn't want it any other way.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 May '18 07:16
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59

Never heard of the Belfast marathon. That’s the difference.

This is business.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 May '18 07:18
    What’s the most exciting thing that’s going to happen in Nova Scotia this year?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 May '18 07:19
    Originally posted by @indonesia-phil
    Well said Phil.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 May '18 07:412 edits
    I found this story on the Internet...
    Well done for having the internet...

Most people here loved the day and are proud of the heritage. You don’t live here, you don’t pay taxes here and you will probalby never even visit the uk, so frankly, it’s none of your business, it’s none of your money and no one here cares what you think about it.
  15. RSA
    Moves
    20 May '18 07:44
    This does seem to be the case when 94% of the cost is on security.

Wonder how much is paid by the English Tax Payers and are they ok with this?

I heard Meghan was paying for her own dress which ran 6 figures!

I found this story on the Internet:

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's wedding will come with a staggering bill: about $42.8 million.
    ...[text shortened]... ting, too: Markle is reportedly expected to pay for her six-figure wedding dress herself.

-VR
    Do you really think that the sum spent on the wedding isn't covered by the boost to tourism, sales and the fact that it's watched worldwide?

Monarchy is stability. Politicians can never get too big a head because there is always someone above them. They are never #1. There is something to be said for monarchies. 7/10 of the world's most stable countries are monarchies. Just think: UK, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Japan, Belgium...

Also, United Republic of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland is really just a huge waffly mouthful. I'll stick to United Kingdom, thanks very much.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree