Say no more.
    So is the Simpsons.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 May '18 08:13
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    Do you really think that the sum spent on the wedding isn't covered by the boost to tourism, .
    Yep.

The mythical "Boost to Tourism" is always talked about but never quantified.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 May '18 08:20
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Yep.

Don’t worry I’m sure that when the country goes down the shi**er and Jeremy takes over, everything will be put right and we can all doff our Leninist caps to the new constitution of nothingness.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 May '18 08:56
    Originally posted by @indonesia-phil
    I think before getting too upset about the cost of the wedding to the taxpayer, one should take into account the amount of revenue generated for the exchequer. Anyway some things are in my humble opinion worth paying for; this is history in the making, pomp and circumstance, and it's something which we Brits do better than anyone else. Long may it remain so!
    Hear hear!

Worth every penny.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 May '18 08:57
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    What’s the most exciting thing that’s going to happen in Nova Scotia this year?
    I believe there's a hockey match.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 May '18 09:04
    Yep.

Britain is recognised as a world-class destination for culture and heritage. Although VisitBritain does not collate statistics on the royal family as an attraction, in a 2012 response to a freedom of information request under its former name as the British Tourist Authority, it estimated that those visitors to the UK who are attracted by British culture and heritage spend in the region of £4.5 billion annually, out of a total overseas visitor spend of £17 billion. Approximately £500m of that £4.5 billion is attributed to attractions and events connected to the royal family, past and present.

There is an absence of data as to whether tourists go to the UK specifically because of the royal family. However, while tourists might not be primarily attracted to the UK solely by the monarchy, the spectacle of royal events and access to parts of the royal estate across the UK enables VisitBritain and other national tourism agencies to build on Britain’s tourism appeal which blends heritage, pageantry and the contemporary. In this way, the relationship between royalty and tourism has an important economic and destination marketing dimension.

http://theconversation.com/fact-check-do-tourists-visit-britain-because-of-the-royal-family-88335
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 May '18 09:071 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Britain is recognised as a world-class destination for culture and heritage. Although VisitBritain does not collate statistics on the royal family as an attraction, in a 2012 response to a freedom of information request under its former name as the British Tourist Authority, it estimated that those visitors to the UK who are attracted by British cul ...[text shortened]... ttp://theconversation.com/fact-check-do-tourists-visit-britain-because-of-the-royal-family-88335
    It’s amusing how people like Wolfgang59 emigrate to the other side of the world and subsequently spend all their time bemoaning the state of the UK.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 May '18 09:37
    It’s amusing how people like Wolfgang59 emigrate to the other side of the world and subsequently spend all their time bemoaning the state of the UK.
    You're easily amused and obviously do not read all my posts, I'm very proud of the UK.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 May '18 09:42
    You're easily amused and obviously do not read all my posts, I'm very proud of the UK.
    Of course I don’t read all your posts, but all the ones I do read are you critising the UK for something.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 May '18 09:57
    Of course I don’t read all your posts, but all the ones I do read are you critising the UK for something.
    Find one.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 May '18 10:25
    Find one.
    Which topic; Brexit?
  12. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    20 May '18 12:13
    Oh dear, not allowed to criticise the UK any more.What a plonker!
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 May '18 13:17
    Well done for having the internet...

Most people here loved the day and are proud of the heritage. You don’t live here, you don’t pay taxes here and you will probalby never even visit the uk, so frankly, it’s none of your business, it’s none of your money and no one here cares what you think about it.
    I watched a lot of the proceedings on TV, it was on most of the day here.

The wedding itself was marvelous and the trip after in the Ascot Landau Carriage was charming. I loved Meghan's dress she wore to the reception, it was my favorite of the day.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 May '18 13:38
    What’s the most exciting thing that’s going to happen in Nova Scotia this year?
    I can tell you that it will not be paying 42.8 milliion on a wedding...LOL.. I am not a tourist guide by the way, you would have to contact them if you are truly interested. Do you want me to get you a number?

I guess you have to be from Britian to understand putting 42,8 million into a wedding!!! 😉

-VR
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 May '18 13:43
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    I watched a lot of the proceedings on TV, it was on most of the day here.

The wedding itself was marvelous and the trip after in the Ascot Landau Carriage was charming. I loved Meghan's dress she wore to the reception, it was my favorite of the day.
    The wedding dress was in the 6 digit number which they say she paid for herself. That was some long train on the dress, it was a nice touch having the kids there walking behind instead of bridesmaids.

Yea, I watched a little bit of it too! 😉

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree