1. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 May '14 06:13
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]The Fine Art of Questioning Effectively

Question: Does effective questioning promote worthwhile online conversations on topics that matter to us all?

Answers: “Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.” -Voltaire | “The scientist is not a person who gives the right answers, he's one who asks the right questions ...[text shortened]... fty five days until July 4, 2014. PHD: 50 Credits are Required to earn your degree. Okay?[/b]
    Do you really expect to be able to set up an earnest discussion starting with the premise that the "question" alone will make the scientist?

What exactly is the worth of your "PhD" if the only criterion is to post 50 questions?

Can there be a discussion with questions alone?

Is it not true that the questions serve to pony the way to the discovery instead of being the discovery?

The question here is not how many questions did I put up, but: Do those questions further our knowledge by pointing people into the right direction?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 May '14 07:21
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    They need at least one else you can't get your foot in. 😀
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 May '14 08:01
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    "Questions are more difficult than answers. Think and think again."-Unknown, from 60's TV
    CP, which of the seven quotations in the original post did you find most interesting in the context of 'questioning'?
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 May '14 08:03
    Originally posted by JS357
    I have all the credit hours I want.
    JS, have you already earned an RHP General Forum PHD in The Fine Art of Questioning?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 May '14 08:04
    I always wear white socks. 😕
    Would 'always wearing white socks' be necessary for work or safety reasons?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 May '14 08:071 edit
    "Am I a lazy mother or am I helping them to become more independent?" ~drewnogal

How would your "two big breasted sisters" [mentioned in Suzi's thread] answer this question?
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 May '14 08:10
    "Does anyone here ever wear socks with holes?"~drewnogal

Would you please ask cash who seems well informed about socks?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 May '14 08:11
    "I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned." -Richard Feynman
    Is Richard Feynman one of your favorite writers?
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 May '14 08:33
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Do you really expect to be able to set up an earnest discussion starting with the premise that the "question" alone will make the scientist?

What exactly is the worth of your "PhD" if the only criterion is to post 50 questions?

Is it not true that the questions serve to pony the way to the discovery ...[text shortened]... t up, but: Do those questions further our knowledge by pointing people into the right direction?

[Ponderable, do you realize now that there are six other quotations in the original post and that our purpose is to exercise and strengthen our questioning muscles not our opinion muscles and that our objective isn't to make scientists?]

[Where do you get idea that there's a stipulated maximum number of questions that can be asked?]

[Hmm.... do you think it's ever been tried as a laboratory experiment in Germany or the UK?]

Is it not true that the questions serve to pony the way to the discovery instead of being the discovery?

[Would you believe that on this point we're in agreement?]

The question here is not how many questions did I put up, but: Do those questions further our knowledge by pointing people into the right direction?

[Do you enjoy being helpful offline in "pointing people into the right direction?" as you often do here for the betterment of this forum?]
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 May '14 08:36
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    They need at least one else you can't get your foot in. 😀
    Hey, wolfie, have you ever written material for a stand up comic or authored illustrated books for young children?
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 May '14 17:28
    The Fine Art of Questioning Effectively

Question: Does effective questioning promote worthwhile online conversations on topics that matter to us all?

Answers: “Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.” -Voltaire | “The scientist is not a person who gives the right answers, he's one who asks the right questions.” ...[text shortened]... e fifty five days until July 4, 2014. PHD: 50 Credits are Required to earn your degree. Okay?
    Memo to PHD Candidates: Due to stormy weather and related developments, your classroom is moved to Thread 159206

Moves
    11 May '14 17:30
    [b]Memo to PHD Candidates: Due to stormy weather and related developments, your classroom is moved to Thread 159206

__________________________________________________________[/b]
    would it help if I said I was sorry to have offended you?
  13. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    11 May '14 17:33
    [b]Memo to PHD Candidates: Due to stormy weather and related developments, your classroom is moved to Thread 159206

__________________________________________________________[/b]
    Classroom?
  14. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 May '14 17:35
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Classroom?
    Isn't that a place where students congregate to learn?
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 May '14 17:35
    would it help if I said I was sorry to have offended you?
    Ponderable, you made a decision with conviction; I respect that in a man.
    Stand by it. No offense taken now or ever. We're RHP Friends. -Bob

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree