1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 06:16
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    In retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have consumed the snake oil.

My thoughts are with Fluffy. (Your neighbours dog).
    No, no, their cat was called fluffy the dog was called mcbarkleton the third.
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 06:18
    Best thing they ever did was removing recs, worse thing they ever did was introducing thumbs.
  3. Joined
    08 Sep '20
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 07:12
    In-groups and out-groups are common in life and especially on chat room forums. Some people like to feel that they are part of something and this thumbing up and down seems to be a way of anonymously signalling loyalty and reinforcing allegiances.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 08:08
    @very-rusty said
    Jack Daniels is best drank straight with nothing in it. I know from my old drinking days! 😉 Of course everyone has their own ideas on how it is best drank.

-VR
    Not even on the rocks?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 08:22
    @mercury said
    In-groups and out-groups are common in life and especially on chat room forums. Some people like to feel that they are part of something and this thumbing up and down seems to be a way of anonymously signalling loyalty and reinforcing allegiances.
    Adults feeling "part of something" and creating "allegiances" by anonymously thumbing posts down? What a tragic syndrome you seem to be describing.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 08:28
    @mercury said
    Wouldn't the "feeling part of something" thing and the sense of there being "allegiances" - for people with the kind of mentality you describe - be enhanced by the thumbing down NOT being anonymous?
  7. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 09:01
    @mercury said
    Conspiracy theories are far more common than conspiracies. I think it's most likely people just red thumb when they don't like a post, don't like the poster's recent posts or don't like the poster. I suspect it happens more when red thumbs allow anonymous feedback that gets no counter response. It would probably be different if the name went alongside the thumb like you see on Facebook. Particularly in a relatively small community like this one.

I guess the red thumb gives you a way of doing something that the recipient can do nothing about. People often like to feel they are in control.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 09:58
    @relentless-red said
    I think it's most likely people just red thumb when they don't like a post, don't like the poster's recent posts or don't like the poster.
    That’s quite an insight you have there.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 10:39
    A song for the moment; adapted from The Rolling Stones ~ Coming Down Again

Thumbing down again, thumbing down again
    Share your thoughts, there's nothing you can hide
    She was dying to survive
    I was caught, oh, taken for a ride
    She was showing no surprise
    Where are all my forum friends? They’re thumbing down again

Doing the rounds again, thumbing down again
    Slipped my tongue in someone’s thumb
    Feeling better every time
    Thumbs turned green and tried to make me cry
    Being angry it ain't no crime
    Thumbing down again, all my spleen’s been vent
    Thumbing down again
    On my own again, thumbing down again
    Where are all my forum friends?
    On my own again, thumbing down again
    Where are all my forum friends?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 10:56
    @relentless-red said
    I suspect it happens more when red thumbs allow anonymous feedback that gets no counter response. It would probably be different if the name went alongside the thumb like you see on Facebook. Particularly in a relatively small community like this one.
    So you perceive there to be a lack of courage involved in thumbing posts down anonymously? Is that what you mean? "If the name went alongside the thumb", it would require some degree of courage, is that your point?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 11:02
    @relentless-red said
    I guess the red thumb gives you a way of doing something that the recipient can do nothing about. People often like to feel they are in control.
    Would you imagine that people ~ who thumb posts down for the reason you state above ~ realize how pathetic their rationale sounds? If so, does thumbing posts down [anonymously] amount to a kind of conscious gesture acknowledging one's impotence?
  12. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 11:28
    The Thumb always goes up...for impact.
  13. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 12:11
    @fmf said
    Would you imagine that people ~ who thumb posts down for the reason you state above ~ realize how pathetic their rationale sounds? If so, does thumbing posts down [anonymously] amount to a kind of conscious gesture acknowledging one's impotence?
    An anthropologist called Gregory Bateson studied communities within institutions. He coined the expression the double bind. It basically referred to a situation constructed by others in which you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

The classic example always quoted would be that if you don't let me joke at your expense you get called humourless and paranoid. If you do let me joke at your expense you have to live with being the subject of the jokes.

So if you red thumb anonymously you get called impotent and weak. If you give feedback in a post you get sealioning and name calling. If you do neither you just have to live alongside something you don't like. A triple bind perhaps.

I guess you could argue that this is a community that you can chose to leave, but I notice that a lot of people have been here a long time so probably feel attached and don't want to leave.

I forget who it was who said that if you are in a double bind the best solution is to just make a decision and move on, but I guess people feeling that just chose the anonymity of the red thumb and then move on if they are established members of the community and do not wish to leave.

Personally I think post once and then ignore the counter reaction would be the ideal response but you will have to ignore a lot of dishonest and damning posts about you and various bits of game playing.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 12:18
    @relentless-red said
    So if you red thumb anonymously you get called impotent and weak.
    But surely you agree that the rationales you described are founded in weakness and impotence?
  15. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 12:56
    @fmf said
    But surely you agree that the rationales you described are founded in weakness and impotence?
    Weakness and impotence are the characteristics of trolls. Those who lack the strength to act positively in the real world so attack people unknown to them behind the safety of their keyboard.

Thumbing someone down is a moments thought.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree