1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '16 17:25
    Originally posted by Indonesia Phil
    Your 'chess name' implies that you are a scuba - diver, is that right? If so we should dive together sometime, then there would be no difference between us whatsoever....
    I am a diver, and yes if ever that opportunity arose I would be very pleased to have you as a buddy.
  2. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    13 Jul '16 17:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    That Cameron resigned instantly, with 4 years left of his mandate, and handed a decision about who should be the PM at this time to 90,000 members of his party, will have been absolutely scandalous IF the very first thing the new PM does ISN'T to call an immediate General Election.
    There's no scandal at all. The PM is not a directly-elected president, simply the leader of the party with a majority in the House of Commons. The party has the mandate, not the PM - there's absolutely no need for an election.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '16 01:141 edit
    Originally posted by C J Horse
    There's no scandal at all. The PM is not a directly-elected president, simply the leader of the party with a majority in the House of Commons. The party has the mandate, not the PM - there's absolutely no need for an election.
    Yes there is. There was just a referendum that both Cameron and May lost. May, who was then "elected" unopposed in a backroom fix that sought to avoid any non-MPs being involved in the decision to elevate her, should go to the country immediately and seek a new mandate in the light of recent momentous events.

She has appointed a man to Foreign Minister who compared the E.U. to the Third Reich probably because he thought it expedient to do so in his own quest for high office.

She should appoint her cabinet and then, without delay, offer herself and her party and its post-referendum vision and platform to the electorate. Anything less than that would be scandalous.
  4. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    14 Jul '16 12:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes there is. There was just a referendum that both Cameron and May lost. May, who was then "elected" unopposed in a backroom fix that sought to avoid any non-MPs being involved in the decision to elevate her, should go to the country immediately and seek a new mandate in the light of recent momentous events.

She has appointed a man to Foreign Minister who c ...[text shortened]... t-referendum vision and platform to the electorate. Anything less than that would be scandalous.
    A new mandate for what? The Conservative party was elected to Government on the strength of its 2015 manifesto. In respect of the referendum it stated "We will hold
    that in-out referendum before the end of 2017 and respect
    the outcome." That's what they're doing.

I agree Boris is a poor choice for Foreign Secretary, but he's not responsible for Brexit negotiations.

The Labour party is very keen for May to call an election. I didn't notice the same enthusiasm when Blair was replaced by the "unelected" Gordon Brown.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree