To everyone who voted to leave the E.U.

To everyone who voted to leave the E.U.

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
10 Jul 16

Originally posted by Trev33
I can see why you've lost 'friends' over this.
I will never lose a friend over politics and you will always be my friend Trev.

Ro

Moves
10 Jul 16
2 edits

Originally posted by divegeester
Neil Kinnock was appointed an EU commissioner after losing two UK general elections; the people voted him out, but the EU appointed him.
I am always amused that most of my 'Remain' friends also support reform of the House of Lords, on the basis that unelected people should not have so much influence over the laws we all have to abide my.

Yet the Commission has far greater powers than the House of Lords.

The reality, I have always suspected, is that many people who support Remain simply prefer the type of politics that tend to dominate Europe.

So tacitly admitting that if they cannot achieve their means democratically, they are happy to do so undemocratically. As demonstrated by the fact that they are already agitating to ignore the referendum result.

F

Moves
10 Jul 16
1 edit

Neil Kinnock was appointed an EU commissioner after losing two UK general elections; the people voted him out, but the EU appointed him.
Kinnock was a bureaucrat appointed to implement democratic decisions. Equating that with what he stood for in the UK is a bit of a red herring, albeit one that has a good plausible ring to it.

Moves
10 Jul 16
3 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Kinnock was a bureaucrat appointed to implement democratic decisions. Equating that with what he stood for in the UK is a bit of a red herring, albeit one that has a good plausible ring to it.
He was indeed a beurocrat; the EU commissioners are all beurocrats. What Kinnock was responsible for in the EU is somewhat irrelevant, it is the manner of his (and all EU commissioners) appointment that is of interest. Also I contest that the "decisions" and the decision making process is democratic. However, I accept that people have differing views on what a democratic process looks like.

Moves
10 Jul 16

I can see no good reason to leave the EU and is a vote based on lies and misinformation really democracy? As far as I'm concerned the UK has run it"s course as a political entity and as a Scot I hope we'll be saying adieu asap.

F

Moves
10 Jul 16
1 edit

He was indeed a beurocrat; the EU commissioners are all beurocrats. What Kinnock was responsible for in the EU is somewhat irrelevant, it is the manner of his (and all EU commissioners) appointment that is of interest.
No. You tried to compare/conflate a bureaucrat with an elected representative, disingenuously I would say [in view of your obvious political literacy] in order to make a Daily Mail-esque debating point. The Brexit case can be made without resort to things like The Kinnock Meme, I think. 😉

Moves
10 Jul 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
No. You tried to compare/conflate a bureaucrat with an elected representative, disingenuously I would say [in view of your obvious political literacy] in order to make a Daily Mail-esque debating point. The Brexit case can be made without resort to things like The Kinnock Meme, I think. 😉
Nothing of the sort and I am not being disingenuous; mistaken perhaps, and open to being shown otherwise. My point is that those who make the decisions and hold power should be elected. Kinnock's mandate as a commission is possibly not the best example as he was as unpopular there as he was here.

F

Moves
10 Jul 16

Nother of the sort and I an not being disingenuous; mistaken perhaps, and open to being shown otherwise. My point is that those who make the decisions and hold power should be elected. Kinnock's mandate as a commission is possibly not the best example as he was as unpopular there as he was here.
Kinnock's role ~ being a commissioner and not a legislator or minister ~ was to manage the implementation of the decisions made by those who held power and not to "make the decisions and hold power" as you continue to suggest. 😉

F

Moves
10 Jul 16

Originally posted by Rank outsider
So tacitly admitting that if they cannot achieve their means democratically, they are happy to do so undemocratically. As demonstrated by the fact that they are already agitating to ignore the referendum result.
The Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, who will extricate the country - or at least begin to do so - from the European Union, will now be selected by a simple majority of the - what is it now? - the 175,000 paid up members of the Conservative Party around the towns and shires of Britain, so I think there might be more than one undemocratic mechanism in play at the moment. 🙂

Moves
10 Jul 16

Originally posted by FMF
Kinnock's role ~ being a commissioner and not a legislator or minister ~ was to manage the implementation of the decisions made by those who held power and not to "make the decisions and hold power" as you continue to suggest. 😉
The EU commission (commissioners) is certainly the body that drives legislation. The role of the commission has changed over the years and without checking I'm not certain that a commissioner at Kinnock's time had the same power. If not, then he was not a good example.

Moves
10 Jul 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
The Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, who will extricate the country - or at least begin to do so - from the European Union, will now be selected by a simple majority of the - what is it now? - the 175,000 paid up members of the Conservative Party around the towns and shires of Britain, so I think there might be more than one undemocratic mechanism in play at the moment. 🙂
If there is a change of PM there should be a general election. Nevertheless, the process of executing article 50 is not as parsimonious as "the PM extricating the country", as you know. There will be a lengthy process taking 2 years or more, at least, during which time there will be a cascade of new trading legislation and negotiations.

F

Moves
10 Jul 16

The EU commission (commissioners) is certainly the body that drives legislation. The role of the commission has changed over the years and without checking I'm not certain that a commissioner at Kinnock's time had the same power. If not, then he was not a good example.
I certainly think a case can be made for a democratic deficit but it is surely that legislators of other countries passed legislation that affected the British people rather than because of what commissioners did. It would be like slamming British democracy because it has an unelected civil service. 😉

F

Moves
10 Jul 16

If there is a change of PM there should be a general election. Nevertheless, the process of executing article 50 is not as parsimonious as "the PM extricating the country", as you know. There will be a lengthy process taking 2 years or more, at least, during which time there will be a cascade of new trading legislation and negotiations.
That Cameron resigned instantly, with 4 years left of his mandate, and handed a decision about who should be the PM at this time to 90,000 members of his party, will have been absolutely scandalous IF the very first thing the new PM does ISN'T to call an immediate General Election.

p

Moves
10 Jul 16

Originally posted by tunnock
I can see no good reason to leave the EU and is a vote based on lies and misinformation really democracy? As far as I'm concerned the UK has run it"s course as a political entity and as a Scot I hope we'll be saying adieu asap.
Before the Scottish referendum most Scots that wanted to leave the union cited Norway as an example of a relatively small populated country that is doing well economically .
Norway is not a member of the EU .
When you get independence from the union ,and I hope you do, Scotland will have to try a strike its own deal with the EU ( if the EU is still around ) and there will be no free prescriptions and university free -bees from Westminster .
Good luck .

Moves
10 Jul 16

Originally posted by phil3000
Before the Scottish referendum most Scots that wanted to leave the union cited Norway as an example of a relatively small populated country that is doing well economically .
Norway is not a member of the EU .
When you get independence from the union ,and I hope you do, Scotland will have to try a strike its own deal with the EU ( if the EU is still around ...[text shortened]... nd there will be no free prescriptions and university free -bees from Westminster .
Good luck .
Norway is however a member of the EEA with free access to the internal market and free movement of people. Examples of European countries which are not are Albania, Macedonia and Serbia. Maybe the UK will be able to have some free trade agreements with them?