1. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 20:03
    Anyone who resigns just because they lose their queen is only interested in racking up their chess rating, you can learn a lot by defending a material deficit, especially against a better player.
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 21:05
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Anyone who resigns just because they lose their queen is only interested in racking up their chess rating, you can learn a lot by defending a material deficit, especially against a better player.
    I always play to the bitter end....OK not always but most of the time and I learn nothing along the way. But chess is still fun.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 22:04
    If it's a real back-and-forth game I'll play on, if it's one of those slaughters where I haven't been able to put a foot right I'll resign to make the torture stop.
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 22:11
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    If it's a real back-and-forth game I'll play on, if it's one of those slaughters where I haven't been able to put a foot right I'll resign to make the torture stop.
    So I am a masochist then.
  5. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 22:13
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    So I am a masochist then.
    Who Knew?
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 22:15
    Who Knew?
    Well I, for one, do now. That takes a huge weight off my shoulders. I thought I was going mad.
  7. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 22:36
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Well I, for one, do now. That takes a huge weight off my shoulders. I thought I was going mad.
    There you go, you can, and do learn something along the way.
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 22:38
    There you go, you can, and do learn something along the way.
    I do try, as my dear father used to instill in his children, to learn something new every day.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 23:25
    Some of us are only interested in moving on to games where we have a reasonable chance of at least drawing. And resigning generally 'racks' your rating down, not up. 😛
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 23:45
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    You missed 17. Qh5+

Well done!

Looks like you're finally catching on to how the game is played! 😉 😛
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 00:02
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Some of us are only interested in moving on to games where we have a reasonable chance of at least drawing. And resigning generally 'racks' your rating down, not up. 😛
    Yeah exactly, you decide there are no points to be won in this game, so you move on to the next potentially point scoring game, do you think that you learn more from a game you win, than from one you ultimately lose? 😛
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 00:05
    Yeah exactly, you decide there are no points to be won in this game, so you move on to the next potentially point scoring game, do you think that you learn more from a game you win, than from one you ultimately lose? 😛
    Playing on sometimes just doesn't make any sense!

What you may have learned in the game being discussed is how NOT TO LOSE the QUEEN next time.
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 00:141 edit
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Playing on sometimes just doesn't make any sense!

What you may have learned in the game being discussed is how NOT TO LOSE the QUEEN next time.
    No it does'nt make any chess rating sense in the short term, but eventually I would expect to get better and better without a queen to the point where I might have a better chance of beating a player of a similar rating with no queens on the board.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 02:09
    No it does'nt make any chess rating sense in the short term, but eventually I would expect to get better and better without a queen to the point where I might have a better chance of beating a player of a similar rating with no queens on the board.
    Why not take his/her Queen & keep your own, much better chance of beating the player if that is what you're playing for. 😉
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 02:21
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Why not take his/her Queen & keep your own, much better chance of beating the player if that is what you're playing for. 😉
    Yeah I can see how that could work, but hey that is why you have a high 1500 ave rating and I piddle about in the 11-1200s, I would'nt soldier on without a queen if I had a choice.😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree