1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 02:53
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Yeah I can see how that could work, but hey that is why you have a high 1500 ave rating and I piddle about in the 11-1200s, I would'nt soldier on without a queen if I had a choice.😉
    I'm just a patzer.
  2. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 03:05
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    I'm just a patzer.
    It's all relative I suppose that makes me an Uber Patzer 😞
  3. Standard memberMrhuma
    Team Fortress 2!
    Near Edmonton, AB
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 03:53
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    You missed 17. Qh5+

Also, I don't imagine a lot of people resigning 2 points down in a game where they are rated 200 points more than their opponent.
    Yes, I know I was a higher rated player. But I just posted this for the people who resign as soon as they lose their Queen. As the title says!
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 03:57
    Yeah exactly, you decide there are no points to be won in this game, so you move on to the next potentially point scoring game, do you think that you learn more from a game you win, than from one you ultimately lose? 😛
    Mind-read fail.

I resign because I am lost and don't want to take more punishment. I don't care about my rating (if you doubt me, look at what it used to be!)

The lesson, such as it is, has already been learned.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 04:00
    No it does'nt make any chess rating sense in the short term, but eventually I would expect to get better and better without a queen to the point where I might have a better chance of beating a player of a similar rating with no queens on the board.
    Having no queens on the board is not the same as losing your queen.
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 04:12
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Mind-read fail.

I resign because I am lost and don't want to take more punishment. I don't care about my rating (if you doubt me, look at what it used to be!)

The lesson, such as it is, has already been learned.
    I really do not get this logic so we would be better to agree to differ, the lesson for me would be how to be more effective with my other pieces, I have already lost my queen that lesson is over, and I have, or have not learned how to keep my queen.
  7. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 04:22
    "I resign because I am lost and don't want to take more punishment."

What punishment? It is just a game, If losing your queen means you have lost, what more have you got to lose, I will try to recoup the loss of my queen by playing the best game I can without one.

And one day when someone offers a queen swap I will accept the offer, instead of running away at the expense of my other material and position.
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 04:24
    Having no queens on the board is not the same as [b]losing your queen.[/b]
    Ahh I see now, cheers.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 05:56
    What punishment?
    Have you ever been so lost that you could see exactly how your opponent was going to beat you, and knew you couldn't do a thing about it?
  10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 06:13
    Have you ever been so lost that you could see exactly how your opponent was going to beat you, and knew you couldn't do a thing about it?
    Yes but I am only good enough to see that when I've got a couple of pawns n a king left.🙂

What I am saying though, is that even if I have definitely lost, but still have enough materiel to carry on playing and maybe even exchange some pieces before the inevitable checkmate, or being left with so few pieces that I am just running around the desk, then I feel that I can develop my defensive play against a better player with more materiel, and hopefully they will get better at finishing off obstinate gits like myself.

However if my opponent makes it clear that they would rather put the game to bed and move on, then yes I would resign, I am not a monster.🙂
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 15:39
    Originally posted by Mrhuma
    Yes, I know I was a higher rated player. But I just posted this for the people who resign as soon as they lose their Queen. As the title says!
    You really didn't lose a queen. When you lose a queen you are usually 9 points down. You showed us a game where you were only 2 pawns down, not down by a queen.

Sort of like telling people we should never throw away our toasters because they can be repaired, and all that happened to your toaster was a knob came lose while mine caught fire melting the coils, wires, and knobs.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 15:47
    You really didn't lose a queen. When you lose a queen you are usually 9 points down. You showed us a game where you were only 2 pawns down, not down by a queen.

Sort of like telling people we should never throw away our toasters because they can be repaired, and all that happened to your toaster was a knob came lose while mine caught fire melting the coils, wires, and knobs.
    Come now...there are no points in chess.
    Those numbers are only a guide at determining value.
    Ever pitch a queen for free in exchange for a checkmate?

Now there is some serious baiting going on.
    😉
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 16:40
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Come now...there are no points in chess.
    Those numbers are only a guide at determining value.
    Ever pitch a queen for free in exchange for a checkmate?

Now there is some serious baiting going on.
    😉
    While we're at it...there are no pins in chess.
    That concept is only a guide for determining which pieces you can't move.
    Ever pull off a Legall's mate?

14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 17:42
    While we're at it...there are no pins in chess.
    That concept is only a guide for determining which pieces you can't move.
    Ever pull off a Legall's mate?

[pgn] 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bc4 Bg4 4.Nc3 h6 5.Nxe5 { ! } Bxd1 { ?? } 6.Bxf7 Ke7 7.Nd5 { mate! }[/pgn]
    What a dumb move! White lost a queen! This game is so hack I couldn't watch the finish.
  15. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 19:29
    What a dumb move! White lost a queen! This game is so hack I couldn't watch the finish.
    PHLABBY BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY-BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree