1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 19:33
    Chili/Thai salmon in coconut jus on white rice, followed by thinly sliced Davidstow cheddar with crackers and a melow red.
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 19:43
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Culturally its quite different I suspect, but you get roadside tandooris making all sorts of things, Muslims are great butchers, very skilful. The thing that prevents people is the cost, a single chicken costs about have a days wages for the average person, but there is no religious prohibitions like in India.
    It's the same in Peru, just worked it out at pretty much exactly half a days wages for people on minimum wage. Which is the majority of the population. Which is insane, it cost about £4 for a large whole chicken, pretty much the same price as the UK. Beef on the other hand is much cheaper, they sell fillet steak by the slab and it's only £6 per kilo. And they eat more chicken than any other country i've seen.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 19:515 edits
    Originally posted by Trev33
    It's the same in Peru, just worked it out at pretty much exactly half a days wages for people on minimum wage. Which is the majority of the population. Which is insane, it cost about £4 for a large whole chicken, pretty much the same price as the UK. Beef on the other hand is much cheaper, they sell fillet steak by the slab and it's only £6 per kilo. And they eat more chicken than any other country i've seen.
    Do you need to pick your chicken live for slaughter? I used to hate having to go for chicken being a veg head and all, the dude would get it from the cage, weigh it, cut its head off, the chicken would go crazy, die and then he would butcher it and hand you the pieces in a bag, still warm. Man i hated killing those chickens! Chicken was at the time eighty rupees per Kg, the average wage was 100-150 rupees per day or about 3000, 4000 rupees, £30-40 per month.

Id love to go to South America, especially Argentina, it just looks pure awesome.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 20:03
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    There's nothing wrong with American chocolate.

The absolute worst chocolate I ever had was something I ate one Easter made by Cadbury. It was horrible, I stay away from anything made by them now.
    Cadbury is different here than it is in the states, basically because of the dairy produce being different and imo better in Europe. I didn't say there was anything wrong with American chocolate but most people agree *WHO HAVE TASTED BOTH AND ARE NOT BLIND PATRIOTIC AMERICAN DOUCHE BAGS* that European chocolate is better.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 20:08
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Do you need to pick your chicken live for slaughter? I used to hate having to go for chicken being a veg head and all, the dude would get it from the cage, weigh it, cut its head off, the chicken would go crazy, die and then he would butcher it and hand you the pieces in a bag, still warm. Man i hated killing those chickens! Chicken was at the tim ...[text shortened]... per month.

Id love to go to South America, especially Argentina, it just looks pure awesome.
    No, they come already killed and plucked. Hanging outside in the sun lol

Argentina is pretty incredible. Would love to go back there, it and Colombia are my two favorite countries in S. America. Good time to go to Argentina with the exchange rate at the moment, much better than when i went.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 20:523 edits
    No, they come already killed and plucked. Hanging outside in the sun lol

Argentina is pretty incredible. Would love to go back there, it and Colombia are my two favorite countries in S. America. Good time to go to Argentina with the exchange rate at the moment, much better than when i went.
    Work and family, mortgage, school, microwave ovens, you know the routine 😀 Not like you young and free and skinny globetrotters?
  7. Standard memberBusygirl
    The BOSS
    in my own mind.
    Moves
    11 Nov '13 02:32
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Especially if you add some spinach to the mix.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Nov '13 15:14
    Cadbury is different here than it is in the states, basically because of the dairy produce being different and imo better in Europe. I didn't say there was anything wrong with American chocolate but most people agree *WHO HAVE TASTED BOTH AND ARE NOT BLIND PATRIOTIC AMERICAN DOUCHE BAGS* that European chocolate is better.
    Ask the kids in Europe who begged the US GIs liberating Europe in WWII for their Hershey bars.

A generation later in SE Asia as well.

* And I think it takes a little more than an opinion on chocolate to make a "douche bag". Like calling one who disagrees with your opinion a douche bag. Like rabid anti-American wanna-be-elitist European douche bags.
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Nov '13 15:19
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Ask the kids in Europe who begged the US GIs liberating Europe in WWII for their Hershey bars.

A generation later in SE Asia as well.

* And I think it takes a little more than an opinion on chocolate to make a "douche bag". Like calling one who disagrees with your opinion a douche bag. Like rabid anti-American wanna-be-elitist European douche bags.
    Do you think American chocolate is better than European chocolate?
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    11 Nov '13 16:13
    Domestic chocolate is acceptable at best. IMO Dove being the forerunner, but it is just glorified Mars chocolate. I was introduced to Swiss chocolate when I was very young. My grandfather bought a chunk of it during the holidays once, it was incredible. Lindt is a well known brand and I seem to like it.
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Nov '13 17:25
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Domestic chocolate is acceptable at best. IMO Dove being the forerunner, but it is just glorified Mars chocolate. I was introduced to Swiss chocolate when I was very young. My grandfather bought a chunk of it during the holidays once, it was incredible. Lindt is a well known brand and I seem to like it.
    We have Dove here but it's called Galaxy, tbh that was the only chocolate that you can get in both continents that i liked in the states, not to much difference. Cadbury is a lot worse in the states though, we don't have Hershey's here but Peru had it and i liked the cookie one.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '13 17:31
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Lindt "Excellence 85% Cocoa, Extra Dark" and Ghiradelli "Intense Dark Midnight Reverie 86% Cacao" in the pantry now.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '13 17:57
    Do you think American chocolate is better than European chocolate?
    Negative. Compare the fine print listings of ingredients. Ugh,
  14. In your face
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 01:09
    We have Dove here but it's called Galaxy, tbh that was the only chocolate that you can get in both continents that i liked in the states, not to much difference. Cadbury is a lot worse in the states though, we don't have Hershey's here but Peru had it and i liked the cookie one.
    I've noticed that you can get Hershey's in Tesco now. Not sure if you have Tesco near you but they seem to have exploited most crevices on planet Earth. Smoe customers from work brought me some back from the states when they visited recently. Quite different from our chocolate, i'e heard that they use sour milk to give it it's tang. Also one to try from tesco is schnyder's jalapeno pretzel pieces. Most tasty!
  15. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 03:11
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    I've noticed that you can get Hershey's in Tesco now. Not sure if you have Tesco near you but they seem to have exploited most crevices on planet Earth. Smoe customers from work brought me some back from the states when they visited recently. Quite different from our chocolate, i'e heard that they use sour milk to give it it's tang. Also one to try from tesco is schnyder's jalapeno pretzel pieces. Most tasty!
    Candy Corn. No one showed up on Halloween. 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree