1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 11:06
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Ask the kids in Europe who begged the US GIs liberating Europe in WWII for their Hershey bars.

A generation later in SE Asia as well.

* And I think it takes a little more than an opinion on chocolate to make a "douche bag". Like calling one who disagrees with your opinion a douche bag. Like rabid anti-American wanna-be-elitist European douche bags.
    I was going to leave this, but i can't.

WWII, think about that. I could make a cheap comment like i hear European chocolate production was at an all time high during WWII but more to the point between 16-17% of the total population in Poland alone was killed. 2.5% of the global population, around 60 million with the vast majority in Europe and Asia.

If you're family and country were being ripped apart and people killed all around you i think you'd appreciate a free chocolate bar, probably the only chocolate they had access to.

They begged for the chocolate bars? BEGGED??? Jesus Christ girl, you really need to get out of the states and see some of the world.

BTW, anyone who knows me knows i'm not anti-American, i'm anti-ignorance. Something many people have in abundance, in all countries. Difference is when i call Americans out on it i'm anti-American and somehow putting all Americans in the same ignorant box. Go figure.

And no, i don't think someone is a douche-bag for having an opinion, if they have tasted quality European chocolate and think American is better, good for them. If they haven't even tasted it and still proclaim that American is better that's another story... and it's not just confined to chocolate.

I'm not saying America is the only nation that blindly defends something local without trying anything else as 'the best' but they do do it a lot.

For example i say dairy produce in Ireland is the best in the world, it could be, we have enough cows, greenery and dairy farms to pull it off but since i haven't actually tasted milk or cheese in every country i might be wrong.

WWII kids begging for chocolate. Goddamn you infuriate me.

You know, it was only 70 years ago, you might be able to hunt down some of those chocolate giving away GIs and ask them about their experiences in WWII.
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 13:18
    In breaking news, World War Three has just started over a confectionery dispute.
    Film at 11:00....
  3. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 13:48
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    In breaking news, World War Three has just started over a confectionery dispute.
    Film at 11:00....
    Let the chocolate bars fight it out amongst themselves. They're the cause of all this.

(I'm making a Yorkie the 5/4 F)
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 15:032 edits
    An excellent read Trev, nationalism is so divisive. . . .

The Zen master
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 22:061 edit
    Originally posted by Trev33

WWII, think about that. I could make a cheap comment like i hear European chocolate production was at an all time high during WWII but more to the point between 16-17% of the total population in Poland alone was killed. 2.5% of the global population, around 60 million with the vast majority in Europe and Asia.

If ...[text shortened]... hunt down some of those chocolate giving away GIs and ask them about their experiences in WWII.
    What did you mean when you said you could make a cheap comment? You started this when you said some Americans are douche bags, you don't think that was a cheap comment?

We have thin skinned people over here too. They don't like it when their cheap comments are challenged. We call them liberals. And they will toss the word ignorant around, as though it somehow protects them from their own ignorance and shallow thinking.

Here's a useful tip... if you don't enjoy being insulted then don't insult. If you insult but are offended by insults, there is a word for that as well.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 22:32
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    What did you mean when you said you could make a cheap comment? You started this when you said some Americans are douche bags, you don't think that was a cheap comment?

We have thin skinned people over here too. They don't like it when their cheap comments are challenged. We call them liberals. And they will toss the word [i]ignora ...[text shortened]... then don't insult. If you insult but are offended by insults, there is a word for that as well.
    Some Europeans are douche-bags, that's not a cheap comment that's fact. Just like some Americans are also.

When was i insulted? The 60 million or so who were killed and everyone else who suffered during WWII, they were insulted... i was merely confronted by idiocy and disrespect towards those involved in the most deadly war possibly ever.
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 23:231 edit
    Some Europeans are douche-bags, that's not a cheap comment that's fact. Just like some Americans are also.

When was i insulted? The 60 million or so who were killed and everyone else who suffered during WWII, they were insulted... i was merely confronted by idiocy and disrespect towards those involved in the most deadly war possibly ever.
    When were you insulted?

Oh, I don't know... might it have been after someone here said something about kids begging for chocolates? She said nothing about the nylons our GI's were giving out to poor destitute young hairy legged women... IYO would that have been insulting? I really don't believe anyone needed to go there to counter your insult, do you?

The only reason the US entered that war was because the big chocolate conglomerates over here saw an opportunity to open up overseas markets. Our involvement in that war was only a front, a way to get into those markets. And it all met with your General Willy Wonka's approval because he was working for us... he was promised full control over half of the European market. And then some years later, after the war was over, the US moon landing was filmed before a live studio audience near downtown Burbank, California.
  8. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 00:23

If ...[text shortened]... hunt down some of those chocolate giving away GIs and ask them about their experiences in WWII.
    Difference is when i call Americans out on it i'm anti-American and somehow putting all Americans in the same ignorant box. Go figure.

Yeah, go figure. You were only calling patriotic americans doushe bags. I don't think of myself as a patriot, but you obviously have something against those who identify themselves by that name. You specified one particular group of americans, then strongly suggested we are ignorant if we don't agree with you... and now you're all hoity toity over this because someone bothered to call you on it.

No one said anything about you being anti-american, and this isn't the debate board. The only douche bags here are the poople who call others douche bags.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 09:07

We have thin skinned people over here too. They don't like it when their cheap comments are challenged. We call them liberals. And they will toss the word [i]ignora ...[text shortened]... then don't insult. If you insult but are offended by insults, there is a word for that as well.
    sorry i just had to thumb that down to redress the balance

The Zen master
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 09:58
    The only reason the US entered that war was because the big chocolate conglomerates over here saw an opportunity to open up overseas markets.
    I KNEW IT!!!

OK, quick summary... no one personally insulted me in this thread, imo someone insulted the people who suffered during WWII.

I didn't call all patriots douche-bags, i called people are are BLINDLY patriotic, douche-bags. There's a big, big difference.

And yes people who call people douche-bags are probably themselves douche-bags but at this douche-bag can spot another douche-bad and you sir are...
  11. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 20:15
    I think the cow is on to you Trev.
  12. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 20:18
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    sorry i just had to thumb that down to redress the balance

The Zen master
    I had to thumb that up to acknowledge you redressing the balance.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 20:311 edit
    I may have to dumb this down to redress the balance

Be water my friends - The Zen master😵
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 21:04
    As this thread is about eating and there is a few mentions of "thumbs" I thought this appropriate, if for nothing else the childishness of some of the banter. ("I know you are what am I?"😉

Little Jack Horner
    Sat in the corner,
    Eating a Christmas pie;
    He put in his thumb,
    And pulled out a plum,
    And said, "What a good boy am I!"
    🙄😀
  15. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    14 Nov '13 03:47
    Pork Tenderloin, scalloped potatoes, cottage cheese and broccoli.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree