1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 17:43
    Originally posted by @torunn
    Let us know what you think of it, please.
    I really enjoyed it. I am now reading Cockroaches by the same author. I tend to read most, if not all of the books written by an author I enjoy and thus far he doesn't disappoint.
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 17:46
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    I really enjoyed it. I am now reading Cockroaches by the same author. I tend to read most, if not all of the books written by an author I enjoy and thus far he doesn't disappoint.
    Good 🙂 but may I recommend that you don't try 'The Thirst', unless you have already read it.
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 17:49
    Good 🙂 but may I recommend that you don't try 'The Thirst', unless you have already read it.
    I toyed with the idea but take your recommendations seriously as all those you have "guided" me to have been, in my mind, winners and for that I thank you. OK Nesbo I found on my own but the ones you've recommended have been winners.
  4. Gothenburg
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 17:503 edits
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    I toyed with the idea but take your recommendations seriously as all those you have "guided" me to have been, in my mind, winners and for that I thank you. OK Nesbo I found on my own but the ones you've recommended have been winners.
    And so have the books you suggested to me. 🙂 The best ones, in my opinion are "The curious Incident of the dog in the night-time" and "My family and other animals".
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 20:41
    Currently reading two books, just work on the first one I pick up🙂

Eater, by Gregory Benford and Ultima by Stephen Baxter, both sci fi. Eater, about a magnetic life form that can take in an asteroid and using a small black hole dismember the asteroid and use the energy generated to propel itself though the universe, and is over a billion years old, now aiming at Earth, demanding humans to be downloaded to digital copies and with the intention of destroying Earth.

Ultima is an alternate universe where Rome never died out and now has space travel and such.
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    14 Sep '17 07:561 edit
    Jens Lapidus' 'VIP-Room' which I have just finished reading. Lapidus is a Swedish criminal defense lawyer and author. He made his writing debut in August 2006 with 'Snabba Cash', an account of the Stockholm underworld, and the first of the Stockholm Noir trilogy.
    His writing has been compared to James Ellroy and Dennis Lehane.

Next book, My Brilliant Friend (2012), is the first of the four-volume work known as 'Neapolitan Novels'.
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    17 Sep '17 17:551 edit
    Jens Lapidus' 'VIP-Room' which I have just finished reading. Lapidus is a Swedish criminal defense lawyer and author. He made his writing debut in August 2006 with 'Snabba Cash', an account of the Stockholm underworld, and the first of the Stockholm Noir trilogy.
    His writing has been compared to James Ellroy and Dennis Lehane.

Next book, My Brilliant Friend (2012), is the first of the four-volume work known as 'Neapolitan Novels'.
    I'm taking a break to read 'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen.This copy was given to me as appreciation by my neighbour who needed my help with an old typewriter (60's perhaps). He still writes his letters by hand but having found this old typewriter, he decided to try it. That's cute, I think.
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 15:22
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    Re-reading The View from the Mirror Tetralogie by Ian Irvine.

Still a good read. Now in volume 3 (Dark is the Moon)
    Finished that one...I won't reread it I think.

I now reread Blaylock: Lord Kelvin's machine

quite funny up to now.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 21:591 edit
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    Finished that one...I won't reread it I think.

I now reread Blaylock: Lord Kelvin's machine

quite funny up to now.
    What's that about? Right now I am reading Ultima by Sephen Baxter, sci fi alternate universe where the Roman empire goes interstellar🙂
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    27 Sep '17 07:31
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    What's that about? Right now I am reading Ultima by Sephen Baxter, sci fi alternate universe where the Roman empire goes interstellar🙂
    It is a steampunk novel, as I found out it is in a serioes.

The machine is a time-machine. But we have a Lord (Langdon St. Ives) who is a Kind of Amateur scientist and detective.
    The Royal Society whose members are very unkind to St. Ives.
    Lord Kelvin himself, developing interesting devices on magnetism.
    We also have the rogue scientist. And we have a lot of mysterious persons.

It is a bit like a Sherlock Holems book with some steampunk science in it. Very entertaining.
  11. Gothenburg
    Moves
    04 Oct '17 20:39
    No Place To Lay One's Head by Françoise Frenkel.
  12. Gothenburg
    Moves
    16 Oct '17 07:41
    Short Cuts: Selected Stories by Raymond Carver: 'A Small, Good Thing'
  13. Gothenburg
    Moves
    19 Oct '17 17:28
    Short Cuts: Selected Stories by Raymond Carver: 'A Small, Good Thing'
    “Life changes in the instant. The ordinary instant” ... is what that stort story is about.
  14. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Oct '17 17:32
    I began now the Clockwork dynasty, a book not easily put into categories. Part historic novel, part steampunk, part whodonit...(at least as far as I am now)
  15. Gothenburg
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 14:06
    Right now I am reading this introduction to one of the oldest neighbourhoods in the city of Gothenburg, 'Haga'.
    https://www.vogue.com/article/gothenburg-haga-neighborhood-guide?mbid=social_onsite_facebook

In case you visit Gothenburg... 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree