1. Gothenburg
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 05:41
    Originally posted by @vandervelde
    The Echo Maker by Richard Powers.
    I have been reading this book since summer 2016 (!), and it's so boring. It was cheap used copy purchased via abebooks.
    I thought Powers was fast and furious postmodernist, as he was described in euphoric reviews. "He conveys the influence of science on men in our time" etc.
    But he was so traditional in his narrati ...[text shortened]... ider his books (I haven't even started with his "Prisoner-s Dilemma" yet) as English practicing.
    You reach a point, being half-way through a disappointing book, when it would be a waste of time not to finish it, you might as well go on reading.
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 14:46
    Vacationland: True Stories from Painful Beaches - by John Hodgman
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    08 Dec '17 20:59
    Black Water by Louise Doughty
  4. Gothenburg
    Moves
    09 Dec '17 08:241 edit
    Heard about this book - Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI. Have any of you read it?
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    09 Dec '17 17:01
    Originally posted by @torunn
    Heard about this book - Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI. Have any of you read it?
    No, but check Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29496076-killers-of-the-flower-moon
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    09 Dec '17 17:13
    Another review:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/28/books/review/killers-of-the-flower-moon-david-grann.html?_r=0
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    09 Dec '17 22:36
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    Another review:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/28/books/review/killers-of-the-flower-moon-david-grann.html?_r=0
    Thank you Andy - I will try to find this book in Swedish - 'emotionally devastating', will I manage that...?
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    10 Dec '17 00:17
    Thank you Andy - I will try to find this book in Swedish - 'emotionally devastating', will I manage that...?
    It's not a happy story but I think you can handle it. I believe a movie is in the works.
  9. Gothenburg
    Moves
    10 Dec '17 07:50
    It's not a happy story but I think you can handle it. I believe a movie is in the works.
    Thank you. It was published earlier this year and hasn't been translated yet. With Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio directing the film, it can't go wrong. I look forward to the movie.
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    11 Dec '17 01:49
    Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. Without books, the development of civilization would have been impossible. They are engines of change (as the poet said), windows on the world and lighthouses erected in the sea of time. They are companions, teachers, magicians, bankers of the treasures of the mind. Books are humanity in print.
    – Barbara Tuchman
  11. Gothenburg
    Moves
    11 Dec '17 08:091 edit
    Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. Without books, the development of civilization would have been impossible. They are engines of change (as the poet said), windows on the world and lighthouses erected in the sea of time. They are companions, ...[text shortened]... ians, bankers of the treasures of the mind. Books are humanity in print.
    – Barbara Tuchman
    So beautiful, so true.

There is a small library in the very centre of Gothenburg, it is named '300 m2' because of its size. There was previously a shop selling furs and leather but animal right activists made it impossible to continue. At about that time, our main public library needed refurbishment, so 300 m2 was meant as one of the temporary solutions for a couple of years or so. This was in 2011 and it is still here, and apparently only granted permission to stay a year at a time. I was there yesterday and learnt that we will keep it at least until December next year.
  12. Gothenburg
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 06:56
    Black Water Rising by Attica Locke
  13. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 22:02
    Inspector Jury küsst die Muse (orig. The Dirty Duck) by Martha Grimes.

A book won by my wife at "Schrottwichteln". Scary to read I think.
  14. Standard memberLEUR
    TEXAS
    STATE OF THE HEART
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 23:06
    A DANCE WITH DRAGONS
    fifth book in A Song Of Fire And Ice series (Game Of Thrones)
    May have to read all five books two or three more times before the sixth book is finally published.
  15. Gothenburg
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 19:101 edit
    I have just finished reading 'Black Water Rising' (Svarta Vatten) by Attica Locke, very well written, a joy to read - but a complicated story with a lot going on. I would still recommend it, here are some reviews: http://www.atticalocke.com/book/black-water-rising/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree