Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
General Forum

General Forum

1. 24 Nov '17 22:42
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    Today I will go to my local library and ask them to get it in for me. I have a friend who has honey bees. Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks.
    Your kind of book, I think. Very well written, Norwegian writer.
  2. 25 Nov '17 15:38
    Originally posted by @torunn
    Your kind of book, I think. Very well written, Norwegian writer.
    It is within our library system but appears to be very popular here but they have put me on a waiting list. I look forward to getting it.
  3. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    25 Nov '17 21:42
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    It is within our library system but appears to be very popular here but they have put me on a waiting list. I look forward to getting it.
    You can get it from Amazon for $14. Open the vault.
  4. 26 Nov '17 14:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    You can get it from Amazon for $14. Open the vault.

Edit: I forgot the damn combination.
  5. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    29 Nov '17 18:14
    Elisabeth Vonaburg, sci fi

The silent city.

Good read, written in 1981 but you wouldn't know it reading it.

She was born in France but now lives in French Canada.
  6. 30 Nov '17 12:08
    The Good House by Ann Leary
  7. 07 Dec '17 02:58
    The Ice Chronicles, by Paul Mayewski
  8. Subscriber vandervelde
    medieval punk rocker
    07 Dec '17 03:10
    The Echo Maker by Richard Powers.
    I have been reading this book since summer 2016 (!), and it's so boring. It was cheap used copy purchased via abebooks.
    I thought Powers was fast and furious postmodernist, as he was described in euphoric reviews. "He conveys the influence of science on men in our time" etc.
    But he was so traditional in his narrative.
    I am reading a page or two and make a long pause.
    I consider his books (I haven't even started with his "Prisoner-s Dilemma" yet) as English practicing.
  9. 07 Dec '17 05:41
    Originally posted by @vandervelde
    The Echo Maker by Richard Powers.
    I have been reading this book since summer 2016 (!), and it's so boring. It was cheap used copy purchased via abebooks.
    I thought Powers was fast and furious postmodernist, as he was described in euphoric reviews. "He conveys the influence of science on men in our time" etc.
    But he was so traditional in his narrati ...[text shortened]... ider his books (I haven't even started with his "Prisoner-s Dilemma" yet) as English practicing.
    You reach a point, being half-way through a disappointing book, when it would be a waste of time not to finish it, you might as well go on reading.
  10. 07 Dec '17 14:46
    Vacationland: True Stories from Painful Beaches - by John Hodgman
  11. 08 Dec '17 20:59
    Black Water by Louise Doughty
  12. 09 Dec '17 08:24 / 1 edit
    Heard about this book - Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI. Have any of you read it?
  13. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    09 Dec '17 17:01
    Heard about this book - Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI. Have any of you read it?
    No, but check Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29496076-killers-of-the-flower-moon
  14. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    09 Dec '17 17:13
    Another review:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/28/books/review/killers-of-the-flower-moon-david-grann.html?_r=0
  15. 09 Dec '17 22:36
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    Another review:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/28/books/review/killers-of-the-flower-moon-david-grann.html?_r=0
    Thank you Andy - I will try to find this book in Swedish - 'emotionally devastating', will I manage that...?