15 Nov '17 14:00
    The History of Bees by Maja Lunde
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Nov '17 11:36
    Gimple the Fool by Isaac Bashevis Singer

A collection of short stories with eastern european Jewish Background. Quite sad reading I fear.
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    21 Nov '17 22:34
    Origins, Dan Brown.

I am angry. Chapter 19, page 92, paragraph 7, line 1, he wrote "The Regent had somehow gained inside information . . ." Disgusting! It's a novel! How hard would it have been to write that "the Regent had easily obtained the layout by a simple phishing hack of the architect's email account." Done. Really sad.
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    22 Nov '17 15:08
    Originally posted by @coquette
    Origins, Dan Brown.

I am angry. Chapter 19, page 92, paragraph 7, line 1, he wrote "The Regent had somehow gained inside information . . ." Disgusting! It's a novel! How hard would it have been to write that "the Regent had easily obtained the layout by a simple phishing hack of the architect's email account." Done. Really sad.
    Supercomputers, IPhones. I too would have thought that a hacking reference would have been waaaay more appropriate. Maybe even some divine intervention to go along with the Science VS Creationism theme.🙄😉
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    23 Nov '17 20:12
    Originally posted by @torunn
    The History of Bees by Maja Lunde
    A very interesting and important book. It's not only about bees and people, it's about our way of living.
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    24 Nov '17 14:52
    A very interesting and important book. It's not only about bees and people, it's about our way of living.
    Today I will go to my local library and ask them to get it in for me. I have a friend who has honey bees. Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Nov '17 16:40
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    Today I will go to my local library and ask them to get it in for me. I have a friend who has honey bees. Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks.
    Sci fi, Kevin J Anderson, Blindfold, 1995 or so, about 300 years in the future, a colony around a star about 20 ly away, no FTL, strictly under c velocity, Ships arrive about every 50 years or so. Atlas is a planet found to be marginal for life and the colonists have a hard time but they find a bacteria humans can ingest that causes them to be telepathic and the Truthsayers guild is formed where the bug is used to find the truth of crime, innocent or guilty by reading minds. That works ok but the bug is developed on a geo sync orbit sat with ties to a 'diamond' ribbon space elevator and they do some nasty stuff to dilute the bug where the truthsayers cannot read with the idea to create chaos driven by one man intent on taking over the planet. Chaos ensues. Good read. Nice space opera.
  8. Gothenburg
    Moves
    24 Nov '17 22:42
    Your kind of book, I think. Very well written, Norwegian writer.
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    25 Nov '17 15:38
    Your kind of book, I think. Very well written, Norwegian writer.
    It is within our library system but appears to be very popular here but they have put me on a waiting list. I look forward to getting it.
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    25 Nov '17 21:42
    It is within our library system but appears to be very popular here but they have put me on a waiting list. I look forward to getting it.
    You can get it from Amazon for $14. Open the vault.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    26 Nov '17 14:351 edit
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    You can get it from Amazon for $14. Open the vault.
    😳😀

Edit: I forgot the damn combination.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Nov '17 18:14
    Elisabeth Vonaburg, sci fi

The silent city.

Good read, written in 1981 but you wouldn't know it reading it.

She was born in France but now lives in French Canada.
  13. Gothenburg
    Moves
    30 Nov '17 12:08
    The Good House by Ann Leary
  14. Joined
    04 Oct '10
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 02:58
    The Ice Chronicles, by Paul Mayewski
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 03:10
    The Echo Maker by Richard Powers.
    I have been reading this book since summer 2016 (!), and it's so boring. It was cheap used copy purchased via abebooks.
    I thought Powers was fast and furious postmodernist, as he was described in euphoric reviews. "He conveys the influence of science on men in our time" etc.
    But he was so traditional in his narrative.
    I am reading a page or two and make a long pause.
    I consider his books (I haven't even started with his "Prisoner-s Dilemma" yet) as English practicing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree