1. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 14:071 edit
    @Torunn
    True story......
    I missed a chance to be an 'extra' in "Winds of War" when they filmed parts of it at the Long Beach California naval station. I received transfer orders just a couple of days before they started filming there. They used lots of military personnel to act as extras in some of the scenes. I have watched several times and cannot recognize any of my friends that did actually get to be in it.
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 14:44
    @mwmiller said
    @Torunn
    True story......
    I missed a chance to be an 'extra' in "Winds of War" when they filmed parts of it at the Long Beach California naval station. I received transfer orders just a couple of days before they started filming there. They used lots of military personnel to act as extras in some of the scenes. I have watched several times and cannot recognize any of my friends that did actually get to be in it.
    That would have been a special experience. I loved both miniseries and read the four books. Such good actors you might have met: Robert Mitchum, Ali McGraw, Polly Bergen, Victoria Tennent and many others.
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 14:551 edit
    @torunn said
    I loved both miniseries and read the four books.
    I read only two books Torunn. They were both paperbacks and very thick. Did they print them in some other manner, such as volume 1 and volume 2 of each book? Just curious. 🙂
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 15:02
    @mwmiller said
    I read only two books Torunn. They were both paperbacks and very thick. Did they print them in some other manner, such as volume 1 and volue 2 of each book? Just curious. 🙂
    In Germany there is at least one edition (translated) in four volumes. I read that in the 80's and found it impressive.
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 15:041 edit
    @mwmiller said
    I read only two books Torunn. They were both paperbacks and very thick. Did they print them in some other manner, such as volume 1 and volue 2 of each book? Just curious. 🙂
    I read two volumes of "Winds of War" and two of "War and Remembrance" - probably because of their size. The four of them were all paperbacks and very thick. I kept them in my book-case for well over 20 years, but had to get rid of them as I will be moving soon and I can't take all books with me. I really loved them but they are difficult to keep, as the glue dries and they tend to fall apart. 🙂
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 15:26
    Thanks. Now I understand. I have both books but they are a single volume of each, so they are very thick.
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 15:472 edits
    @ponderable said
    In Germany there is at least one edition (translated) in four volumes. I read that in the 80's and found it impressive.
    It is very impressive. Herman Wouk is/was a great writer.

Edit: Lived: 27 May 1915 - 17 May 2019 (age 103)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Wouk
  8. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    23 Mar '21 21:19
    Flight of the Conchords.

Stuck with it in places in the first episode. Laughing out loud by the second. If you've been waiting for something a bit different in comedy...
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Mar '21 23:22
    Unforgotten

Binge watching all series; absolutely fantastic historical murder based stories.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 00:51
    Just finished all three series of Suburra.

Italian. Gomorrah-lite. Rome. Gangsters. Vatican. Crooked politicians. Sicilian mafia trying to get a foothold in the city. Some great acting. More of a caper feel than the magnificent Gomorrah (which was set in Naples and they were not speaking Italian).

There was a feature length film of the same name that preceeded it; also looks good.
  11. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 01:271 edit
    Seminar featuring Dr Simone Gold on the new corona virus vaccines.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 02:02
    Been on an Eddie Murphy kick lately.

Saw Coming to America last week and then 48 Hrs after seeing talk about it here. Prolly check out both sequels sometime this week.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 21:231 edit
    @suzianne said
    Been on an Eddie Murphy kick lately.

Saw Coming to America last week and then 48 Hrs after seeing talk about it here. Prolly check out both sequels sometime this week.
    Does watching paint dry count? 😉

That was a good Movie with Eddie Murphy, both of them. You should laugh your butt off providing you have one! 😉

-VR
  14. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 21:291 edit
    @very-rusty said
    Does watching paint dry count? 😉

That was a good Movie with Eddie Murphy, both of them. You should laugh your butt off providing you have one! 😉

-VR
    now that was funny
    thumbs up buddy

forgot the emoji 😲
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 21:46
    @lemondrop said
    now that was funny
    thumbs up buddy

forgot the emoji 😲
    Back at you! I gave Suzie Q the rare thumb up for watching that Eddie Murphy movie it was so funny, back to back with both of them even better to see at the same time.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree