1. Standard memberMariska Angela
    Nyuszi, golyó!
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 17:20
    Hello,

I just wanted to show a sample of what we offer in Club 257 and many more interesting chess related topics, while having a friendly atmosphere at the same time. Players applying to the club will be considered, as we do not accept everyone.

The puzzle presented below is mainly for the highly ranked players, sadly enough players rated below 2000 will NOT be able to solve it. However, if you wish to have a go please do try.

Members of kinda like my homies club are not suppose to participate in this thread. Thank you.

White to move and win!

-MA
  2. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 18:16
    * Warning, Hint alert *

Got the first few moves right but couldn't find the killer queen move! Very nice puzzle. To get this one you need to have mastered the simple mating pattern at the end of it and I clearly haven't. I don't think only people above 2000 will get this one though, because I'm quite terrible with tactics and I feel like I got close 🙂
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 18:45
    I'm a country mile short of 2000, but I'm pretty sure I've got it.
  4. Standard memberMariska Angela
    Nyuszi, golyó!
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 19:03
    Originally posted by Maxacre42
    * Warning, Hint alert *

Got the first few moves right but couldn't find the killer queen move! Very nice puzzle. To get this one you need to have mastered the simple mating pattern at the end of it and I clearly haven't. I don't think only people above 2000 will get this one though, because I'm quite terrible with tactics and I feel like I got close 🙂
    You can post your ideas, so I can know what kind of ideas you are having. You may use the [hidden]Insert your idea here[//hidden] option.
  5. Romania
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 19:30
    Hmm ... are you sure that White is winning? I don't see anything forced. Sure 1.Qc5+ Kg8 2.gxh7+ but now 2...Kh8 and then what?

By the way, aren't you the same girl who was banned on chess.com for cheating? 🙂
  6. Standard memberMariska Angela
    Nyuszi, golyó!
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 19:53
    Originally posted by cotoi
    Hmm ... are you sure that White is winning? I don't see anything forced. Sure 1.Qc5+ Kg8 2.gxh7+ but now 2...Kh8 and then what?

By the way, aren't you the same girl who was banned on chess.com for cheating? 🙂
    Sorry, I'm not the same person.

Btw you're the first who actually asked without "careful investigation" (and accusation).

I repeat, White to move and win.
  7. Standard memberMariska Angela
    Nyuszi, golyó!
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 20:01
    And please, lets stay out of accusations in this thread. Send a fair play ticket if you have doubts about anyone cheating.

Thank you.

Lets stay focused on the puzzle instead.
  8. Romania
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 20:08
    Originally posted by Mariska Angela
    And please, lets stay out of accusations in this thread. Send a fair play ticket if you have doubts about anyone cheating.

What a joke! Of course nobody is cheating here 🙂 Not even Weyerstrass (perhaps Kasparov started to play correspondence).

I don't know why you jumped like that, I didn't accuse, I've just asked 🙂
  9. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 20:15
    Originally posted by cotoi

I actually got this far (great for a patzer like me). I'm thinking next is Reveal Hidden Content
    3.Be7
    , which really ties up the black pieces. But I haven't worked it out farther than this, and I might be overlooking some resourceful move by the black queen.
  10. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 20:16
    Originally posted by Mariska Angela
    You can post your ideas, so I can know what kind of ideas you are having. You may use the [hidden]Insert your idea here[//hidden] option.
    Reveal Hidden Content
    qc8
  11. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 20:20
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I actually got this far (great for a patzer like me). I'm thinking next is [hidden]3.Be7[/hidden], which really ties up the black pieces. But I haven't worked it out farther than this, and I might be overlooking some resourceful move by the black queen.
    I think Qb8 takes care of any threats.
  12. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 20:341 edit
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    I think Qb8 takes care of any threats.
    But doesn't Reveal Hidden Content
    3...Qb8 4.Qd4 (threatening to capture the black pawn with a discovered check)
    keep all the key squares covered and maintain the attack on the black king?
  13. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 20:372 edits
    I think black is still fine after Qb6+, when the queens come off.
  14. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 20:50
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    I think black is still fine after Qb6+, when the queens come off.
    Yeah, you're right, I missed that. Dang it! 🙂
  15. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 20:531 edit
    Reveal Hidden Content
    maybe Qc8 Kg8(Qd6+ Qxd6 pxd6 pxh7 is +-) Kb5(and I see no moves for black to prevent Kh6 and mating

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree