1. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 13:13
    Originally posted by Audacious
    Nice spam spree there dragon🙄
    No spam. I just get really cross about people who insist on playing on in lost positions.

Look at this OTB game

http://www.farehamchess.org.uk/gameview.php?view=19

What justification is there for that behavour?
  2. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 13:19
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    No spam. I just get really cross about people who insist on playing on in lost positions.

Look at this OTB game

As I already said "I don't see a problem with people playing on in blitz chess. CC and long games are very different, blitz is meant to be fast, therefore if the person has a win why not take it ?"

In long games yes it's very clear that the person has a win, but if your playing a 5min game the chances of blunders and stalemates increase therefore I see no problem with people playing on because there is a chance of a result, however I do have a problem with people's response to purposely prolong the game when they have a win in 1 move.
  3. London
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 13:25
    Originally posted by Audacious
    Just wanted to hear some views on the do's and don'ts of online blitz chess.

Things that tend to annoy me are when people have mate in 1 and let their clock run down to 1 second then mate you or have a mate in a few moves but decide it'll be nice to promote 3 pawns.

Just seems really petty to me. I will play on though to the death, this I feel is a ...[text shortened]... s a possibility so I play on and don't mind if my opponents does the same if I was winning.
    Life's too short for a lost endgame.

Try to recover some dignity by remembering this.
  4. London
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 13:28

Look at this OTB game

Typical Martin!
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 13:36
    yesterday I had a Q vs B ending with a couple of pawns. when he dopped his queen and played on I was a little surprised. when I exchanged to the Q vs B and he still kept going on, I got a little annoyed. but he proved his right to do so by making it very hard for me to win (he had a passed pawn on 6th so I couldn't just go out and mate him).

it was a totally lost game, he had no chance whatsoever without me blundering horribly, but still in the end, I got the feeling it was perfectly alright. it took me 20 more moves to make him resign, so he really made me work for it.

that said, if you routinely get people promoting all their pawns or waiting for the last second to mate you, it's obvious you're taking far too long before resigning.
  6. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 13:44
    Originally posted by wormwood
    that said, if you routinely get people promoting all their pawns or waiting for the last second to mate you, it's obvious you're taking far too long before resigning.
    Doesn't happen that often just curious to hear people's views. I think alot of people can understand the reason people play on due to blunders, time, counterplay and stalemate chances.
  7. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 13:50
    To me having 9 queens on the board is elegant!
    Having 9 queens without stalemating or checkmating your opponents king is elegant.
  8. over there
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 13:56
    Personally, I feel stupid when doing the king dance. I would rather resign.
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 13:58
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Having 9 queens without stalemating or checkmating your opponents king is elegant.
    Having 9 queens, 2 rooks, 2 bishops and 2 knights without delivering checkmate or stalemate is the most beautiful thing that you can experience in chess. It is very difficult to achieve. As hard as mating a super GM and well worth the effort of trying sometime.

I have achieved it only once.
  10. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 14:32
    Having 9 queens, 2 rooks, 2 bishops and 2 knights without delivering checkmate or stalemate is the most beautiful thing that you can experience in chess. It is very difficult to achieve. As hard as mating a super GM and well worth the effort of trying sometime.

I have achieved it only once.
    Were you fighting a pacifist?
  11. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 14:48
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Were you fighting a pacifist?
    No but I think he was a patzer.
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 14:55
    All chess players must learn to win won positions. The better you get, the less the advantage required to warrant calling a position won, but under time pressure some things change.

There are several reasons someone might promote every possibe pawn:

1. He or she does not know any checkmates except the rolling barrier with heavy pieces.
    2. He or she is being rude as a response to the perception of rudeness.
    3. It is fun to see how many queens one can control.

I've played on beyond reason in an occasional OTB game, even making an A player checkmate me with two queens (I was angry at myself for taking a poisoned pawn and getting my queen trapped). When I do, I play fast so as to waste less time.

I've done this many times in blitz. Most often I play when I know I'm losing because I or my opponent is in imminent danger of running out of time, or because some deficiency was evident in my opponent's play (such as overlooking a mate in one).

Bad lag, such as is endemic at FICS, is far more irritating than those that play in lost positions IMHO. Seeking a rematch in a 3 0 game after you've won or lost with 30-60 seconds of lag is a violation of etiquette far more than hoping for stalemate while four queens chase you for 20 seconds.
  13. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 15:09
    If think that if someone is willing to play on a queen down, they will be just as willing to play no matter how queens you have.

Or you could truly rub it in and promote your pawns to knights then hop back down to the other end of the board and try to upgrade them to bishops.
  14. Argentina
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 15:22
    Blitz Etiquette is an oxymoron 🙂
  15. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 15:30
    Sometimes things can happen in a game played online. I once had three men and six pawns pluss a King and my opponent had three pawns and a King. He did not resign. As I was about to take the game I was diconnected. He won the game and I received a penality from the server for disconnecting the game. I lost about seventy five rateing points from a server because of disconnections before I was able to finish a game. In order to stop disconnections to avoid a loss they punish players that have server connection problems.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree