1. London
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 18:38
    Originally posted by Audacious
    I will play on though to the death,
    95% of the time this is rude.

Plus, you asked about etiquette, and are now mostly ignoring what most people are telling you.

So, I don't think I need to meet you, mate you or watch you to know you're rude - but thanks for the creepy suggestion.
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 18:401 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Sometimes, playing for stalemate is the sign that you are the better player.
    If there are chances of forcing a stalemate play on. If there are no stalemate possibilities resign but don't assume a good player is simply going to blunder into a stalemate as that doesn't happen.
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 18:40
    Originally posted by TommyC
    95% of the time this is rude.

Plus, you asked about etiquette, and are now mostly ignoring what most people are telling you.

So, I don't think I need to meet you, mate you or watch you to know you're rude - but thanks for the creepy suggestion.
    Tommy, I've said it plenty of times. Who cares if it's rude? I never care about my opponents feelings. In fact, I want to crush their pride. πŸ™‚
  4. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 18:44
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I have played thousands of blitz games but gave up on-line after 40 games for the reasons stated but you are asking about ettiquette and, in my opinion, it is rude not to resign a lost game if your opponent has time to win it. A mate in 1 that you know your opponent has seen is lost so you are simply being rude (by not resigning)
    Well I already made my point on that

"To me a mating combo is one of the nicest things in chess and is often spoilt by someone resigning. So I like to give that person the mate rather than resign."

I don't see it rude to allow the person the enjoyment of the mate. I'm sure we've all been disappointed by our lovely mating combo getting ruined by the person resigning, so I give them the enjoyment of the mate.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 18:45
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Tommy, I've said it plenty of times. Who cares if it's rude? I never care about my opponents feelings. In fact, I want to crush their pride. πŸ™‚
    Well I made this post without reading the thread. πŸ˜›

Let me go over my feelings.

Any player can do whatever they want within the rules. End of story.
  6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 18:461 edit
    Originally posted by Audacious
    Just wanted to hear some views on the do's and don'ts of online blitz chess.

Things that tend to annoy me are when people have mate in 1 and let their clock run down to 1 second then mate you or have a mate in a few moves but decide it'll be nice to promote 3 pawns.

Just seems really petty to me. I will play on though to the death, this I feel is a s a possibility so I play on and don't mind if my opponents does the same if I was winning.
    You want to hear dos and donts but don't actually want to listen to them.

I will play on though to the death, this I feel is acceptable because in blitz chess time is always a factor. It's up to my opponent to mate me. A draw is always a possibility so I play on and don't mind if my opponents does the same if I was winning

I find this rude when the win is inevitable and no reasonable chances to draw remain. For example K&Q vs K with 15 seconds left is an easy win - resign. A forced mate in 3 with 15 seconds left is easy - resign.

Things that tend to annoy me are when people have mate in 1 and let their clock run down to 1 second then mate you or have a mate in a few moves but decide it'll be nice to promote 3 pawns

If I have a mate in 1 and my opponent continues to play I'll do exactly this. He is being rude to me by not resigning so I'll rub his nose in it. Stop complaining, your opponent has you beaten - resign! If you don't want to resign then accept the fact that he is now playing with you and having a little fun.
  7. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 18:46
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Well I made this post without reading the thread. πŸ˜›

Let me go over my feelings.

Any player can do whatever they want within the rules. End of story.
    Is moaning about annoying opponents allowed?
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 18:553 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 18:59
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    You want to hear dos and donts but don't actually want to listen to them.
    I listening fine thanks, so far there isn't really been much said that disputes my reasons for playing on in blitz chess.

1. Chances of stalemate
    2. Blunders (happen in all levels of chess)
    3. I like to give my opponent the mate if he has it in a few moves rather than resign because a mate is always more rewarding.

I don't think it is rude at all doing any of those.

As I said I wanted to hear peoples views, never said I had to agree with themπŸ˜‰
  10. Standard memberKirwan
    Mel Kirwan
    Hauxton
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 19:02
    r
  11. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 19:032 edits

12. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 19:07

13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 19:08
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I've played that d-bag before. πŸ˜‰
  14. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 19:10

15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 19:10
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    That would be consulting a third-party, I think.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree